TCPA - Trusted Computing Platform Alliance

Man this whole thing sucks… im definately gettin a Mac next time. If adobe and macromedia couldn’t make stuff for Mac anymore it would really REALLY suck. Man… I’m gonna shoot Microsoft

Mac’s will be affected too, no doubt in my mind.

The plan is for this TCPA technology to be implemented into everything, from disks to drives to video cards to, eventually, the CPU.

Apple, even if it were not to join in on this thing (which I’m not so sure it hasn’t) would be affected. They don’t make their own systems entirely, they get pieces from other companies and slap them together.

This technology is a United States wide ideal for big software companies, and will be Law in the U.S. should the bill pass.

There will be no exceptions, I’m sure.

They will be affected but it’s still unclear to say at this point. I would not be suprised if a number of people switch to Mac or Linux (or something else I don’t know about) - so the result could be tremendously positive for Microsoft competitors. Who knows - maybe this could be the beast to take down Microsoft? Even if a lot of big businesses seem to support it, big businesses still rely on consumers. Let’s see how well they package propaganda.

Besides - Apple, so far, seems to pop right back up just before people think they’re about to die - they have lasted a very long time. They might not be on top but they certainly know a thing or two about making really good stuff. Plus they have a really solid cult following that I don’t see anywhere else. Linux also has a really solid cult following and while I haven’t really tried it first hand - I really have heard nothing but good things about its stability.

And don’t underestimate the power of small businesses and open source developers. Without them - from where will Microsoft steal good ideas :love:

And hackers… what will this debacle have in store for them… Yes - I know - hackers bad! Not in some cases - hackers are the Robin Hoods in scenarios like this. If it weren’t for the resident hacker at the UCI dorms - my Microsoft would still be peering into my PC.

There’s like, 32 bit encryption or something like that, and it’s to be built INTO the hardware (EVEN THE BIOS), and, as there was in Microsofts Xbox, no doubt when a hacked up item (if it’s even possible) manages to connect, it’ll instantly be disabled.

It seems to me that if this goes through, file-swapping and whatnot will be an only-offline thing, with only-out-dates hardware and networks, not to mention non huge-business software.

Microsoft peering into your PC how, Rengirl?

I think I smell food, really good food, so I’ll be back in 5. :slight_smile:

I should educate myself more before I go into wild accusations like ‘only out-dated hardware’ and whatnot. Or just watch what I say.

Canada should still be producing non-TCPA parts, so I’ll be free of all this mumbo-jumbo.

Unfortunately, 95% of all the servers and computers I interact with are American. Hmm.

I doubt it will be that perfect. There are some huge geeks out there… whether they are curious, malicious, or just plain creative… they can hack it. For one thing, Windows hasn’t come close to being hacker-proof. Hacked software might not get through… but who’s to say what the challenges are for hacked hardware. I know Playstations are built to not play bootleg games… but it seems like many have overcome that barrier.

I wish I could find the links about all the backdoors in Microsoft’s current versions of Windows…

By the way, Adobe maybe wants to buy Macromedia ;p

TCPA is not yust to get more power to Microsoft. It is mainly organised by ALL hardware companys. IBM and AMD are there too. That means, no processors anymore. Get yourself a cyrix :smiley:

*Originally posted by c!rYx *
**By the way, Adobe maybe wants to buy Macromedia ;p

TCPA is not yust to get more power to Microsoft. It is mainly organised by ALL hardware companys. IBM and AMD are there too. That means, no processors anymore. Get yourself a cyrix :smiley: **

While there are obviously many players in TCPA but Microsoft orchestrates it. No other key players, including IBM and AMD have as strong a foothold in the computering industry as Microsoft does.

If big PC-names like Dell and IBM and a few others just decided to stop supporting windows, and start supporting Linux instead…

Not only would it save them a pile of money, but Microsoft lose so much revenue the stock market really would crash. lol.

why would dell and ibm take linux under thier wing?

While i understand that linux is small, stable and runs on a sensible specced system there is no getting away from the fact it is minority software.

what OS did you use in school? what OS did you grow up with? 9 times out of 10 the answer is windows.

I have little experience with linux, but consider myself an experienced computer user. When i use linux i find some aspects a nightmare. But only because i am so used to windows. Until people get “forced” to learn other OS’s windows will always be the majority software. (forced here means schools using/teaching linux, or by freak occurence a major company shipping with linux)

The same goes for macs. Personally i love them, but cant afford one. (id still need a 3 button mouse though!!) But i also love tinkering under the hood as it were. I love messing with hardware. In a mac thisisnt as easy and prohibitively expensive. Until people are made to use them the world wont change.

Microsofts domination is due to complacency. The average computer user wont even take the ‘crippleware’ off the computer they have just bought from a major company, and continue to use windows on their one huge partition until it dies!
Windows is made for the dummy. Its pre-installed, its all there, there is a microsoft version of everyhting youd want that will work with windows without too much configuring etc etc etc ~its just so easy… Whereas Linux… so many options!

Stability, altho its nice, isnt really an issue for most people either. They dont push their systems hard and never leave it on for more than a few hours. Stability just isnt a big issue.

Shipping with linux probably wouldnt save companies money either. I expect dell and ibm get windows for free. The end user will pay out for it. Until there is an alternative, it wont change.

Also, why does no one moan about the monopoly apple have over the mac OS? theres even less choice there, and surely altho pretty **** good macOS isnt infallible?!

Its in human nature to support the underdog, but lets not forget that without massive companies, with enough money to burn it to heat their offices, research would take a lot longer. Also, without team ups like intel and microsoft we’d probably still be using windows 3.1 on our 486, while waiting for the drivers to work as all the companies dont talk to eah other!

I’m glad that there is one more person in this forum who is neutral towards this issue (according to the polls) :stuck_out_tongue:

I live with the notion that there is no such thing as privacy. The moment you turn your computer on, or worse, do something that gives people your IP (such as posting on a forum :evil: ), your privacy is jeopardized.