'User Controlled Preloader'

Hi, I’m new here as you may have guessed!

Anyway, I couldn’t think of a good, short, description of the help I needed so for the record I’m not after a preloader.

If any of you are familiar with preloaders, I’ve used preloaders whereby I create an MC and I then use actionscript to tell how much of the MC should be visible (in terms of percentage) based on how much of the movie is loaded. However, what I’m looking for this time is slightly different.

This time I want, for example, a ‘box’ which can display/contain numbers between 0 and 100. The contents of the box have to be defined by the user. I then want to take the number of this box and use it to create the equivalent percentage of an MC shown when a number has been created.

For example, if someone put 64 into the box then 64% of an MC (in fashion of a preloader) would be displayed.

If you’re interested in why I want this, well it’s because I’m also using Max MSP. I’m doing a group project that is effectively an interactive media player. We’re going to use cameras to detect the number of people in a certain area. This will be translated into a value between 0 and 100 and Max will ‘bang’ this number to my flash ‘preloader’ whereby a certain percentage of an MC will be visible and will act as an indicator to the volume output of the media player. The actual volume itself will be controlled within Max.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone could shed some light on how I would go about the flash part I would be extremely grateful.

:slight_smile: