What if I just want babel/polyfill?

One weird deployment issue with ES6+Babel I’ve been wondering about is the polyfill dependency. If you were fine having babel or babel-core as a non-dev-dependency, it’d be easy to just import 'babel/polyfill'. The problem is that those are big dependencies, like 25MB or so.

You’d think there’d just be an npm package that’s babel-polyfill, which would include regenerator and corejs, but I haven’t found exactly that yet. Any ideas? npm’s babel-es6-polyfill is apparently meant only for browsers. So far I’ve taken to including babel-polyfill as a dependency that can’t be managed easily by npm or git.

As an example, imagine you have test.es6:

function* foo(){}

babel -o test.js test.es6 will give you this as test.js:

"use strict";

var marked0$0 = [foo].map(regeneratorRuntime.mark);
function foo() {
  return regeneratorRuntime.wrap(function foo$(context$1$0) {
    while (1) switch (context$1$0.prev = context$1$0.next) {
      case 0:
      case "end":
        return context$1$0.stop();
    }
  }, marked0$0[0], this);
}

You’d think there’d be an npm package that wouldn’t include Babel’s compiler, but would include the requisite polyfill stuff. babel-polyfill is some subfolder within babel, so I don’t think you can get it on its own very easily.

That does seem like it would make sense to have that separate. I’m a little surprised its not. Sounds like a feature request.

The fact that it’s not makes me wonder what everyone else’s build/deploy step looks like for that part. For client-side stuff, I think webpack (or similar) handles that step in my code via babel-loader.