What is love?

A friend and I had a discussion not to long ago about what love was and what it means to be in love.

From a scientific standpoint love is simply the firing of certain synapses.

On another level love can’t be described or adequatley quantified, it just is.

What are your thoughts on love? How easy is it to love? Can love be bought, found, searched for?

money can’t buy you love… but it sure can rent it :wink:

Money can buy a puppy.

on a serious note, how can you quantify love? There is the love you feel for a friend, the love of a family member, the love of a wife, husbad, lover, partner…

Love, True Love, Infatuation… there seems to be no clear line as to when you are in love.

love is in the eye of the beholder. Every individual has their own interpretation of what love is, and some never experience it in the same way as others. They may never get the chance to or know any better in how to.

Is it biological? To a degree, absolutely. Puberty and emotions in adolescence definitely enhance the feelings that are interpreted to be love. Later in life - as you grow older, those feelings change. Instead, a different kind of love is usually developed through companionshop and less through lust. Though, again, this is all based on individual interpretation. And no one person can define it absolutely for anyone else.

:slight_smile:

*Originally posted by Phil Jayhan *
**pj :sleep:

I’m not really great at love threads… :slight_smile:

pj :stuck_out_tongue: **

we can see this :stuck_out_tongue:

:slight_smile:

Sen,

You bring up an interesting point. Can anyone really explain something for someone else?

For example, what the sky look like right now where you are? No matter how you try to explain it, I interpret it my own way. You say it is a rich black color. To me I see that color different from you.

Any essence words don’t work to explain things exactly. So everything is different to anyone else. It’s a little sad to think nobody will ever see anything the same way you do.

or is it more sad that we are all missing out on how everyone else sees what we see differently?

i know! it stinks that you have to see your entire life out of one pair of eyes, and smell through one nose, and think with a single, slowly deteriorating brain.

but thats what communicating is about,
pretending to have some glimmer of idea about what another person experiences…
you can be quite convinced that communication works if someone else really hits home with a private thought or observation you have

but then again, scientifically speaking, the things we cannot express are the things most likely to be mere chemical rushes. Nobody can describe perfectly what a given type of food tastes like, because taste buds are just one-dimensional chemical receptors.

We should have no trouble describing love if it is something real, and meaningful. If it is only a feeling, it is of no consequence.
(IMO if its a feeling its not love)

“love is just a word”

:stuck_out_tongue:

What is love spelled backwards?

E… V… O… L…

Evol… hmmm

friendship is that thing, what you loose for love :wink:

hehe, yes, the more you are in love with someone, the more you loose your real friends ;(

Yeah Im reaching a time in my life where all my friends are getting married :sure: Im having less and less friends. Those I still have are those voted “less likely to succeed in life” :stuck_out_tongue:

You all want to see something really scary? I was searching for the root meaning of the English word love, and found this http://www.awrsd.org/oak/Library/greek_and_latin_root_words.htm Scroll down to love in the middle column of the first table. It is derived from the greek/latin root phil. aaahhhh Phil is love? :x

Love is concept invented by women to justify their involvement with men. It has been aquired by Disney and Halmark in a hostile takeover, homoginized and sold off piece by piece.

“Love is never having to say you’re sorry” -Halmark
"What is love, baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me, no more…" -Haddaway

*Originally posted by blindlizard *
“What is love, baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me, no more…” -Haddaway **

This is exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread. That and Chris Catan and Will Ferrel bobbing their heads…

*Originally posted by tiger20 *
**This is exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread. That and Chris Catan and Will Ferrel bobbing their heads… **
I know, I hum it ever time I read this thread. :cool:

There are two types of love.

The love you have for your friends and family members and then there is the relationship love.

What kind are you talking about here?

edit, had a Night at the Roxbury’s joke, but removed it when I saw it above!

But seriously, on a biological level, love, or more accurately, lust, is a neuro-chemical trick to get you to reproduce. If you weren’t suspectable to it, then you wouldn’t reproduce, and your genes quickly fell out of the gene pool.

On a deeper level (and this is the no duh part), I feel that love is the unconditional appreciation and respect for an intrinsic purpose of existence. This is why you can “love all people” (look up Christianity 101, or what ever else you’d like to reference) but only like a few of them (or none of them :stuck_out_tongue: ). You don’t have to like somebody or even know them to love them.