Xml image gallery

Hello,

Firstly, I’ve done a search on this forum and other websites. But haven’t found the solution I am looking for.

I am trying to build a flash slideshow that uses XML to call up images and text captions. I’ve found a good example of what I am looking for on macromedia’s website. found here:

http://sdc.shockwave.com/support/fl…_slideshow_xml/

I would like to add the ability to fade between images and have a button that creates a larger jpg version in a popup window for whatever image is being displayed as current in the slideshow.

can someone point me to a nice tutorial or help me start off in the right direction? Would I need 2 XML files for this or can I just use one? I prefer one. Sorry I am quite new to XML, this is my first foray into it. I can build this thing w/o XML, but it seems to be so much easier if I did it with XML.

thanks for any help.

-trowa

There’s a great example of a xml image gallery (except its not all that you wanted) at macromedia.com

Hi Deenhead

thanks. I was using that one as a reference. I got the fading to work. but now all I need is some help with adding a button for the popup window. Can flash call up two different XML files? Or can I do it with just one?

The one XML file I have so far calls up the images and caption text. I would like to add the ability to press a button on the swf that allows the user to see an enlarged version of the image in a popup window. I’d like to do all of this with XML, if possible.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

-trowa

lostinbeta,

thanks. that did help a bit. do you have any ideas for my question above? I got the fading the way I want it to. I’m just stumped on getting a popup window to show using XML.

thanks for your help.

-trowa

In the XML file give it a full url attribute, something like

<IMAGE FULLURL="urlToLargerImage" />

And then read that attributes using the attributes feature in Flash [AS]newImage.fullUrl = xmlObj.targetNode.attributes.FULLURL[/AS] (FULLURL is case sensitive)

Then have that value be passed to the newly created image in the gallery (assuming you are using a movieclip symbol) in an onRelease handler [AS]newImage.onRelease = function(){
getURL(this.fullUrl, “_blank”);
}[/AS] That will open in a new window, but for a pop-up you can use a javascript pop-up code, a few of them can be found at kirupa.com.

I hope these help you move in the right direction :slight_smile: