XP ... The Gatekeeper from Hell?

So I’m trying to install several programs that used to work GREAT on Windows 98. I drop the cd into the drive, hit the glorious INSTALL button and … and … nothing. The wonderful little hourglass goes away and it’s as if nothing was ever initiated. Is this XP rejecting the software???

What to do, what to do? :frowning:

this should be in computers and games -

and are you an admin on this computer - is it your computer - what software - what kind of computer - have these programs worked on other XP machines?

need more info .

I’ve been able to load other programs [ PageMaker, Corel ] successfully onto this system. I’m relatively new to this particular computer; I’m moving into my new job and getting this office computer ready. Programs that are failing include Microsoft Works 99 (I know, I know, but you’d be surprised how many people still use it and give me files created with Works.) and Adobe Acrobat 4.0.

Interestingly enough, Works and Acrobat load successfully on my XP computer at home.

So, why do SOME programs load successfully, while others don’t, on this office computer? I’m suspecting AGE of the software, but not sure.

Thanks for your help!