Big problem with rollover

I have an interface that displays external flash files. Now in one of these files, there are rollover buttons on the side, and a greatings message on the other side, now i want the greatings message to dissappear when the user rolls over a button. I tried doing this by putting in the following code in my buttons

on (rollOver) {
_root.welcome._visible = false;
}
on (rollOut) {
_root.welcome._visible = true;
}
//welcome is the instance name for my greeting message

This works fine when i run the external on its own, but when i open it using my main interface, it just doesn’t work. Does anyone know why this is happening, i don’t know a lot about flash any help would be appreciated!

remove _root

_root is the first timeline in the hierarchy, not the first timeline in that individual movie.

When you load an external movie, the hierarchy chances and the _root timeline because the very first timeline of the main movie you are loading into.

Targeting is very important in Flash, and is often a cause of problems between external and main movies (and sometimes just getting things to work in general)

Here is a quick tid-bit to help you learn about targeting…

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/tricks/root_parent_this.asp

Man, thanks a lot, works a treat now, I heard your the best at flash on here, good one! I am having problem with scrolling a whole flash file, i’ve seen your example and thats great, i tried to adapt it to my flash file but it just didn’t work. I think it might have something to do with the typwriter affect, could u have a look at this fla, and see if you can fix it, man your a lifesaver!!

the scrolling bit is in a movie called scrollingclip, i think, have a look at it!!

Thanks a lot man!!

I get an error trying to unzip your file… I can usually open .rar files with my winzip, but apparently it isn’t working this time… weird.

And whoever told you I was the best at flash on here lied :x I am not bad at flash, but I definitely am not the best here.

My recommendation to fixing your problem would be to use the scrollpane component and put all your content within a single movie clip and scroll that clip using the scrollpane component.

That would be the easiest way.

sorry I think that was my fault, here try this attachment!

I am going to set up an example on how to use the scrollpane component, it sounds to me like that is really what you want.

Could u have an example that has a typwriter affect on it, and then enables you to scroll that text, because that is what i want with mine u see and it would help if I had a good example to show me this!

Thanks for your help, your a genius!!

hes awesome at flash, but pom will give him a run for his money

milkman: Check my attachment… The content and everything is all up to you, this is just to show you how to use the scrollpane component to scroll a movie clip symbol. All your actions and content can go within that movie clip and be scrollable.

PunkyDrewster: Ilyas is my mentor :love: But also Kax, Ahmed, Senocular, h88, sbeener, etc, etc… they can all demolish me in an instant.

Whenever I start a project/website, I always use relative targetting(this and _parent). It might seem like a waste of time, but it prevents you coming into bugs when you start to use loadMovie, and having to rewrite all your code.

*Originally posted by njs12345 *
**Whenever I start a project/website, I always use relative targetting(this and _parent). It might seem like a waste of time, but it prevents you coming into bugs when you start to use loadMovie, and having to rewrite all your code. **

ding ding… it’s worth the extra typing/work to save on frustration.

exactly:)

and you join them in the “can easily step on my flash skills” category. heh heh heh