Calligraphy Videos

There are some really awesome videos of popular logos being drawn! My favorite is the Gap one - so well done:

1 Like

Calligraphy is one of my not-so-practical hobbies, though please note that I suck at it. That video was great; I’ve always want to try the pen that he’s using (Pilot Parallel). They’re pretty cheap, I just need to justify buying a set (I’m pretty good at making justifications up).

Here is my favourite calligraphy video:

I’ve tried flexing nibs like he does, but I always end up bending them. It’s also hard for me to keep the ink on the pen instead of watching it all run down on the paper into a big giant blob.

Wow - I had no idea that calligraphy was one of your hobbies? Pics or it didn’t happen! Do you have examples of things you’ve created that you’d like to share?

When I said “note that I suck”, I was trying to prevent that exact question! I’ll see if I can find/write something tomorrow that I’m not too ashamed of.

PS: I recommend anyone who writes to try a fountain pen

You could add something to the ink that change the surface-tension of the ink. Also the paper matters if the nib will get stuck or not(obviously).

Not to recommend but acetone works well mixed with ink, low surface-tension and dries fast. So something with the properties of that? Perhaps put some alcohol in the ink?

Chinese ink also behaves very different if you grind it yourself, I’m not sure what it is called, ink stick and ink stone?

“Shellac ink” and “Chinese ink with ink stone” are ink types that are very different from ordinary ink. Shellac beacuse it is very thick and chinese because the large ink particles makes it behave almost like watercolor.

The schellac ink dissolves in alkohol if I remember correctly, and so does nailpolish, so I did a quick search for calligraphy on nails and found this:

For some videos they seem to refer to the metal nibs as “nail pens”, which I find amusing :smile:

Edit: hmm, I just realized my wife has several ‘inkbottles’ in cool colours I could use. Hehe…