Earliest video games you played?

I spent hours playing Carmen Sandiego (1990 edition) as a kid. It’s fun going back and just watching how far graphics and gameplay have come along since then. What were some of the earliest video games you all played?

A close tie for another game I played a lot is the first Commander Keen:

Last one:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Magnavox Odyssey300

In case anyone questions the brilliance and magnificence of the onscreen graphics. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Found this:

For me it was the arcades, the earliest I remember was at Crabtowne USA. My dad used to take me there sometimes after work. Favorites included Tempest, Mrs Pac man (far superior to her male counterpart), and most of all, Joust.

At home, my first system was the Intellivision - a hand-me-down from my uncle. Triple Action was where it was at - a game I didn’t have, but a friend of my father’s did for his system. So jealous :stuck_out_tongue:

A I also still remember the day I first saw and played an NES. It was some friend of a friends house and they had Contra. Blew my mind. Played the hell out of that game when I finally got one myself.

1 Like

I played mortal combat and doom when I was a kid in Baghdad!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Wow that thing looks amazing! And is that Smash (bros.?) that it shipped with?? OG!

I’m very interested in this but I have to say… I have no idea.

I’ll see if I can find a ceremonial shaman on offerUp or the local 24 hour diner to rattle my brain to the point of…

Oh wait ill just ask my brother

Tennis, Hockey and Smash - shown here on a Odyssey 200 - all very distinct. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When the Atari 2600 arrived, I thought that must be the pinnacle of graphics never to be matched. The future had clearly arrived and would never be improved.

Fast forward a few years …

say-what

Now the Atari VCS ( after only a few (cough*) more delays ) is coming full circle and beyond. My child self through the leap from the Odyssey 300 to the Atari 2600 was as good as it would ever get.

:space_invader: :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve been on the vcs mailing list since the beginning. I haven’t pre-ordered, but I am really curious about what they’re up to. I’m finding it difficult to see how they think they’ll find a place in the market.

Especially difficult if they never get to market. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Haha late to this, but wow that’s nastalgic. Loved all 3 of those Kirupa.
Also ‘Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe’ another great DOS game with the Joystick.

1 Like

Ah yes, the NES memories. Excitebike and Technobowl as well.

Welcome to the forums, @kevingilpin!

In that same genre, did you ever play Gunship 2000?

1 Like

Haha of course, and “Prince of Persia”

And thanks for the welcome! Been a long time site visitor, but finally decided to join the forums, so thank you for all of the resources. Discovered you via purchasing your React book at a Barnes and Noble a long time ago, by far the easiest & best coding read, so kudos on the detailed and humorous writing style.

1 Like

I was nine years old. Space Invaders-1978 or 1979.
si
Within a year or two a whole bunch of arcade games showed up. Missile Command was one of my favorites.
mc

Missile Command! That brings back a few other games from that era that I played a bit too much haha.

Paratrooper

Test Drive

Freakin’ Fuzzy Fuzzballs

There is a ton more I can start listing, but I’ll pace myself :truck:

1 Like

For me it would be Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (1996) and Age Of Empires (1997) both amazing games

Scorched Earth!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Reminds me of Gorillas :monkey_face:

1 Like