Here's a doozy for some genius out there

k … here’s the deal

i have a combobox in my movie … actually two … but the point remains the same.

i have data in them and i have set the click handler to “selected” but i don’t know where to go from there.

its been suggested to me that i use an array to define what i want each selection to do ( but i don’t know how to do that) it’s also been suggested that i use a long string of if-then statements. i understand how to write an if-then statement in flash so i think i can do this one … i just don’t understand how to refer to the objects in the combobox.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
thanks in advance

Try the tutes. There’s one about a listbox, pretty similar, and one more general about components.

pom :cyclops:

try this thread at flashkit. it seems to be what you are looking for

link

any probs with the link just mail me and i will post the solution they gave (dont understand it but you can have it lolol)

pom … i checked through the tutes and found what you were talking about … but i really am too dumb apparently to figure out how to apply it to my flash movie.\

gary_bydesign: i would appreciate you emailing to me or posting that source here so i can hopefully use it … since the link didn’t work :slight_smile:

thanks very much

selected=function(fcombobox){
switch(fcombobox.getselecteditem().label){

case Kirupa:

trace("you picked Kirupa, awesome source of tutorials and answers");
break;

case Flashkit:

trace("you picked Flashkit, a good source of fla's, loops, backgrounds");
break;

case Phong:

trace("you picked Phong, a great site for Photoshop tutorials");
break;

also, do a search for OnChange and you will find other examples I’ve writton on these forums. Hope it helps.

Iammontoya: don’t suppose there’s anyway I could get you to post a source file using the combo box and having it gotoAndStop on a particular frame of an mc depending on which button you select.

i know thats a lot to ask … but i really don’t understand what to do with that code and i think maybe if i saw an example of it working … i’d be able to figure it out.

thank you so much in advance.

p.s. i searched for OnChange and kirupa returned 0 results :frowning:

There’s a working example in the tute… :stuck_out_tongue:

Except it’s a listbox, but it works EXACTLY the same.

pom :cyclops:

You must have used the wrong search. You have to use the grey search button at the top of this page. I just tried it and it returned 8 results. More than enough to explain what you’re trying to accomplish.

sorry it took so long. try typing the url yourself as it worked fine for me

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=380744

this is the fla they were talking about though