How is it possible to memorize JS?

I am completely frustrated. I have been trying to learn JS for some months and in the long run I remember nothing. I am doing the course from Meta, I am reading a book, I read articles at MDM, W3schools, I do exercises at Freecodecamp, Codeacademy and others… and all in vain.
I was told that if you practice it every day you will learn it. I do it every day and I know nothing.
People, what can be your advice? It seems that I am going to give up because my humanitarian mind does not want to learn it.

Hey Sveta,
It’s unfortunate you’re having such a hard time with JS.

First off, why are you trying to learn JS?
I originally started learning JS because I wanted to animate a HTML menu. Do you want to be a web dev?

I used to hate CSS so much but I would see cool animations and want to replicate them.

The easiest way I have found to understand things is to:

• have a project/ thing you want to do
  • copy somebody else’s code
  • go through line by line trying to understand it
  • comment out parts of the code to see what effect it has (CSS especially)
  • console.log() out variables, aguments, returns one after the other
  • re-write the code from scatch

I hope this helps, what specifically are you struggling with?

1 Like

Hi, Steve!
I am learning JS in a hope to find a remote job. Also I am doing the course
“Frontend - Developer” that’s why I need to learn it. When I was learning CSS actually I liked it and it was not difficult for me.

I wanted to add here that it’s not really about memorizing~ I work with TypeScript (essentially JavaScript) on a daily basis and always have to constantly look things up. Sure, I have memorized a few things here and there, but searching for an answer and being able to find it (now you can even do this with ChatGPT) is the real skill.

When you say remember nothing, what are you trying to remember? If it’s a specific way of solving a problem, then it can be hard to remember all of these scenarios.

2 Likes

Just take it one at a time. You will be fine

1 Like

Memorizing JavaScript (JS) is not the best way to learn it. Instead, it is better to focus on understanding the concepts and principles of the language. Here are some tips to help you learn and understand JavaScript:

Learn the basics: Start by learning the basics of JavaScript, including variables, data types, functions, loops, and conditional statements.

Practice coding: The best way to learn JS is by coding. Start with small programs and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. This will help you apply what you’ve learned and build your skills.

Use online resources: There are many online resources available that can help you learn JavaScript, including online courses, tutorials, videos, and forums. These resources can help you understand the concepts and principles of the language.

Build projects: Building projects is a great way to apply what you’ve learned and gain practical experience. Start with small projects and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. This will help you build your skills and confidence.

Practice debugging: Debugging is an essential skill in programming. Practice finding and fixing errors in your code. This will help you become a more efficient and effective programmer.

Get feedback: Getting feedback on your code is important. Join online communities or meetups to get feedback from other developers. You can also ask for feedback from more experienced developers.

Thank you very much to all people who answered me. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Maybe change the learning ways? Like using the Pomodoro Technique to make learning JS less difficult.