How Painful is Tattooing?

I have been wanting to get a small tattoo for the longest time but I am deathly afraid of needles; I went with my friend the other night when she had hers touched up and she was fine although she does have a high threshold for pain. Can anyone give me a bit of advice; It would be on my shoulder a tiny butterfly

Thanks!!

r u afraid of being vaccinated…??? if not, then i dont think the process will be that painful, if yes, then u r in for a lot of painful pricking :smiley:

off topic:
u back from ur trip? how was it?

What do you mean vaccinated!!??

Haven’t gone yet; June 24th I leave Can’t wait!!

Vaccinated as in getting a shot for the flu?

Its really not that bad at all.

There are some places on the body that are much more painful then others of course. Getting your bicep/tricep area tattooed is totally different than getting the very back of your arm tattooed.

Just pinch the two areas and you will see what I mean.

Even if your having a painful area done your endorphins kick in and you really dont feel it that much.

:cantlook: Never had one

Yes it very much depends on where it is, how big it is, how long it takes etc. I have one on my inside left ankle and it really didn’t bother me at all except at the very bottom close to the knobby ankle bone. Then it just got irritating and I wanted the guy to stop but it didn’t make me ill or anything - more like I was getting bitten by an insect.

My guy has quite a few, including two or three small ones on the back of his hand that he did himself with india ink and a sewing needle. The only one he says that hurt at all was a snake that goes around his bicep not far from where his arm meets his shoulder. And really the only part of that that really hurt was the inside soft white part of the arm - in fact he still only has the outline in that small area and never got it filled in with color because he thought he was going to pass out. The artist was super talented though and was able to blend it so it doesn’t look weird going from colored in to outline.

I think you’ll be fine with the back of your shoulder - it’s meaty (not near bare bone) and not super sensitive. And if you can’t see what is being done maybe it won’t bother you much?

Do you have more than one?

That and as long as someone is holding my hand :wink: ; I think body art is beautful as long as it is tastefully done:The artsit who worked on my friend’s is amazing; Hers is a Celtic design from The Book of Kells; He copied it right from the picture. Amazing

A good friend of mine had one of those done in the small of her back - which I’ve heard is a very painful spot due to the nerves around the spine. But she said she hardly blinked. So I guess everyone is different too. Like fester said you should try pinching yourself kind of hard (or have a friend do it). If it doesn’t freak you or our make you hurl you will be fine. :slight_smile:

Be careful though - they are addicting! I am planning on getting a second one soon, hopefully by the end of the year.

I took my friend to the tattoo artist and he got one for the very first time and that too where? His neck! What a psycho! But it didn’t hurt much. It does hurt a little to be very frank.

I’ll be getting one soon… But since my arms are a bit bigger than the average person… It’s gonna be a BIG tattoo and I need to get over this Indian summer for that! :stuck_out_tongue:

But that tattoo is a sure thing no matter what!

My advice (as one crazy psycho dood) would be: Just go for it. Tell the artist to make the area as numb as possible and just go for it! :thumb:

It really depends on where it is and how you handle pain…I have a bunch and most are in spots that are painful…The spine was tough but the lettering I added to my spine hurt more the the original tattoo and they were in the same spot?? hip, back of my neck all boney areas and all felt different.

I dont really think of it as a pain (well, until I am in the chair going what was I thinking! AGAIN!) about half way through you dont realize it even if it does hurt and after you forget all about it hurting and you want another and another…If you can block out the noise at least for me it hurts even less, the noise reminds me of the dentist drill and drives me crazy…

Surprisingly the one spot that hurt the most of all 7 times I have been tattooes was not on bone…I have one about 6-7 inches down from my belly button and 2-3 inches down diagnollay from my hip and that one was tough…

I can’t really say if it will hurt you but the more you relax the better you will be and after you will barely remember what it felt like.

Yeah I have one on my right arm, another on my back and a rather large on on my right calf.

I would have to say the one on my upperback hurt the most.

well yeah! that sounds like THE super sensitive area! did that one require shaving? :stuck_out_tongue:

the next one I want to get is on my belly just to the left of my right hip. I’ve heard that that is a pretty sensitive area but it’s the perfect spot for what I want to get.

Like was already said depends where. The worst I have ever gotten was the arm pit.

Back kinda smarts too.

lunatic–yea…I know my tattoo guy very well fortunately but yea, it hurt…I have on my right hip that I added to as well sort of up and down diagnol and the part nearest my belly button hurt more then the bone where my hip was at some points…I want one around my belly button but holdin off till after kids for that one…

I have one other that has been drawn (by that same tattoo guy) since last christmas but I havent been back up to finish it. I love the drawing everytime I see it but it is not quite right yet, not at least to have on my body forever.

mine hurt tremendously, and dont get blitzed like some may tell before getting a tatt. You bleed alot more and your blood is thinner and something else but I cant remember.

oh yeah DEFINITELY don’t take ANYTHING before getting it done! You really don’t want to be under the influence of anything before someone takes a needle to your skin. You’ve got to be able to deal with it straight. :slight_smile:

Where’d you get your DDD? How big?

@rere: yeah, I’m waiting for after kids to get another tat I have in mind as well. I wouldn’t want to see that sucker stretched to the max - scary! :cantlook: :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you say blood???:!: :!: :!:

Not alot-some dont bleed at all, you probably wont even notice if the tattoo artist is doing a good job…But like some had said dont drink or take anything before hand…any reputable artist wont do any work on you if you seem to be on something…