If you make a site out of flash, whats a good size for it?

Hey there folks,

i have just about finished my website using flash and photoshop. I have tried to make my pages as small as possible for quicker loading time. My average page is about 50Kb and there 5 pages. So all up the site is about 250-300Kb.

Is this a good size for a flash site?

Jak…

i think less than 100Kb is a good size. Small load time, and then you can use loadMovie to load in seperate swfs…

I would like to expand on that answer. I think it depends… One of the advantages of Flash is that you can load your content at different times. So, your site could be bigger and your users may not notice as much if you’re loading things along as they view the site.

This DEPENDS GREATLY on the type of site you will be providing. A linear game, for example, could be large because users won’t need to see some content until they’ve reached a certain level of the game. Hence, that site could be very large. On a website, it is less practical to have a large site, because your users would probably like to get to their “target” page or content as quickly as possible.

Well this is the thing i dont understand,
How is it that some Flash sites have sooo many pics and stuff and their site still loads farely quick? i hve reduced the file size of some of the pictures in my site so can run quicker. I have been using Photoshop…

So since mine is about 250-300Kb, how long would that roughly take to load?

Jak…

Depends on if they have broadband or not. Many sites are huge, but they are very simple, and they use a lot (A LOT) of load movie. Many of them load quickly because, while you are surfing, they are still loading other things in, so that when you click a button, it doesn’t take forever to load…

Chubba>>

Ah i see…
ok, well im thinking about having a gallery on my site but i dont think i will now considering my site is alread 250-300Kb. But is there a way to make the swf smaller in size? Or making the pics on the site a smaller size?

Or do u suggest in the gallery to do just Loadmovie() for my pics?

What i wanna do is make my site size smaller…

jak…

If you are using Flash MX, i think there is already a load image function. (im still not up to par on MX yet =) )

if You’re using Flash 5, what you can do , which you suggested, Put each image in its own swf file. This way, you can have a small main file, and that should load quickly (depending on what you do) and then you can load the images as you need them. This way no unwanted load time is present (and why load something the person may not see anyway.)
I’ve done this , and it’s worked , its a bit time consuming (if you have many images).

Hope this helps =)
~D

convert the images into swf?

Sorry im not quite following…

If i did that how would i place them back into my site???

Jak…

(sorry, im a newbie)

open up a new Flash File, and import a single image. Then place it on the mainstage. Adjust the size of the background and then export it as a SWF with its own file name and everything. And then just use loadMovie to bring it in when you need it.

I’ll look for the link to that program that lets you drag and drop pics into an swf. It’s pretty cool and it helps if you have 100 pics to convert to swfs. :slight_smile: At the very least I have the program, and I know it’s shareware.

Chubba>>>

Oh ok, i’ll give that a go and let u know how i went :slight_smile:

Upuaute8>>

Really?
Wow thats pretty cool… Saves heaps of time…
:slight_smile: let us know …

Jak…