Help for slow flash site

Hey everyone, I am a newbie in this forum. recently i did a flash site, www.alfidino.com . it works but its slow. I use loadmovienum to load swf files for the different sections in the site. each of the flash movie is abt 5mb . i find that its slow for the flash to load. fyi, i did use a preloader and didnt appear in the flash too. can anyone tell me what is the problem?

First, when the site did come up I would say that it looks very nice. Obviously you put some time and effort into it.

But you are, of course, correct. It took like 50 seconds for it to load. Most users (as you obviously know) will not wait that long, especially without at least a preloader.

A couple of thoughts (without having the benefit of seeing your fla file) would include:

1.) The bigger in size the pieces of your website are the longer it can take to load. That is kind of always the juggling act in doing websites. The size of how we would like it to be (in a perfect world) versus the reality of how long it takes to load.

For example: the book effect you have for your portfolio is a nice idea (one which I am not suggesting you eliminate). But it takes up the whole size of the website. Yet I saw a lot of white space on the pages of the book which suggests, to me, that the whole size of the book could be made smaller by tightening the items of each page closer together.

2.) The size of your website itself is - at 1000 x 700 - pretty big. A website of smaller dimensions (say 780 x 550) can also lower the load time.

A couple of thoughts. Juggling what we would like to see versus the reality of how long it might take to load is a tough one.

[QUOTE=maverixx;2344705]Hey everyone, I am a newbie in this forum. recently i did a flash site, www.alfidino.com . it works but its slow. I use loadmovienum to load swf files for the different sections in the site. each of the flash movie is abt 5mb . i find that its slow for the flash to load. fyi, i did use a preloader and didnt appear in the flash too. can anyone tell me what is the problem?[/QUOTE]

I assume you have lots of stuff exporting on the first frame

no evident preloaders

having separate pages as swfs is bad idea

images are big, some graphics could be vectorised to reduce size or reduced in photoshop

rollover buttons top right are way off

lots of things rollover even if you are no where near them

Hi there, thanks for the reply. why having separate page as swfs a bad idea? u didnt explain it. i read somewhere that its recommended to do that than lump all in one fla and swf file. anyway i took note of what u mentioned on the graphics and the rollover.will do something. there is a preloader but as to why it didnt appear is a mystery to me

[quote=randomagain;2344811]I assume you have lots of stuff exporting on the first frame

no evident preloaders

having separate pages as swfs is bad idea

images are big, some graphics could be vectorised to reduce size or reduced in photoshop

rollover buttons top right are way off

lots of things rollover even if you are no where near them

…[/quote]

Hi there
your opinion is appreciated and i willl look into it.i did have a preloader but i am clueless why it didnt appear. what is your take on having different pages for flash and using loadmovienum to load the pages upon clicking. isnt that a recommended thing to do?

[quote=small_guy;2344729]First, when the site did come up I would say that it looks very nice. Obviously you put some time and effort into it.

But you are, of course, correct. It took like 50 seconds for it to load. Most users (as you obviously know) will not wait that long, especially without at least a preloader.

A couple of thoughts (without having the benefit of seeing your fla file) would include:

1.) The bigger in size the pieces of your website are the longer it can take to load. That is kind of always the juggling act in doing websites. The size of how we would like it to be (in a perfect world) versus the reality of how long it takes to load.

For example: the book effect you have for your portfolio is a nice idea (one which I am not suggesting you eliminate). But it takes up the whole size of the website. Yet I saw a lot of white space on the pages of the book which suggests, to me, that the whole size of the book could be made smaller by tightening the items of each page closer together.

2.) The size of your website itself is - at 1000 x 700 - pretty big. A website of smaller dimensions (say 780 x 550) can also lower the load time.

A couple of thoughts. Juggling what we would like to see versus the reality of how long it might take to load is a tough one.[/quote]

I assume your site is so big, that the preloader hits 100 before its even had chance to appear.

yes having separate swfs can help, but its a stop cap measure, you should be loading in content for each page

you should try and vectorise the images, and get rid of the jpg/pngs

some code may help however I suspect the fla is hugh

There’s no reason for a site of this type to be this slow.
The filesize appears to be bloated, and most the rollover and click fucntions are not firing consistently.
Please post the code you are using for the navigation.

suggestion:
Try rebuilding the site with everything preferably on frame1 of the main timeline.
Compress the bitmaps and background music.
Reduce the scale of the site; 780x550 would be a good size.