IPOD unseated?

I wouldn’t be suprised. Atrac probably lowers the bit rate of the song by some number, then tries to optimize it.

Don’t spread rumours, post a link.
Quality on the iPod only depends on the settings you choose when encoding to mp3…

^ He’s right.

The quality I get on my minidisk is good, and I get about 80 songs to a minidisk, so thats not bad.

Anyway, the one thing I absolutely dispise about my Sony Minidisk player is the software, SonicStage. Its bloody aweful, take way too long to convert and put files on the ****ed minidisk, I can do about a CD every 20 minutes, which frankly doesn’t add up against the iPods 500 songs in roughly 10 minutes. Its ridiculous, I barely ever use my Minidisk player just because of this. In all honesty, this player looks like it would be a good purchase, but I will only consider it if they improve the sluggish software.

Same here. Attrac SUCKS ! - you can’t play it on your PC without opening that dumb f*cking sonicstage

I don’t mind it at all, I burn it to cd and keep it on mp3 on my computer, it’s not bad at all imo

bombingpixels how much are Sony paying you?

the contract doesn’t let me say, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

:lol: :thumb:

You should get a free one for all the advertising you’re doing. Hey…[sly grin]…this new Sony thingermajig sounds like it’s going to be rather good, what. You’ll put in a good word for me won’t you BP?

of course :lol:

Me loves my iPod :slight_smile: And I don’t get the point of it needing to be smaller. Big deal if it’s smaller. What’s it going to do? Leave more room in your pocket? I have my iPod in my left pocket and I don’t put anything else in there because I have everything I need in my right pocket (sunglasses, keys, and cell). So more room in my pocket doesn’t do anything for me.

In any case, I think the only thing that Sony does well (as far as look goes) is car audio. I think this new “MP3” player looks like crap, but that’s just my opinion.

I just don’t think that the iPod can be unseated, especially when it truly supports MP3, as well as Apple’s format, AAC. Sony should have made ATRAC primary but kept MP3 support on there as well. Plus, from what I’m reading on this thread, iPod’s transfer rate is much faster because you don’t need to convert.

Plus, even though you may be able to put more songs on the player, it’s still a 20 gb drive, which means if you use your Ipod as a portable hard drive for important documents, projects, etc. (which would be half the reason I’d buy one of these devices) you’re still getting twice the storage capacity for the same price. Honestly, the new Sony gadget doesn’t even look competitive to me, much less superior…
The only advantage I could think of for Sony is their superior QA and warranty support, they’ve got a long history of manufacturing consumer electronics…
-C

If the size doesn’t matter, why not get a cd player that also fits in your pocket (or at least my sony cd player does) and keep the 6 cds of five hundred songs each.

I ask, if it’s in your pocket all the time, why do you care what it looks like??? (I’ve always wanted to know)

Atrac is really easy to change, and once you’ve put all your music onto it, it only takes like thirty seconds to add another song.

Stop trying to say the ipod’s better, this thread is not about the ipod, it’s about sony’s new product :thumb:

So you can’t say anything bad about it just because this thread is about it?

nah, I was just saying that this thread isn’t about the ipod, it’s about the sony product… and I don’t think the intention was to make a debate :P, anyways, I still want to know why you care about what it looks like if it’s in your pocket?

Personally, I think those square edges would hurt my legs.

how? they’re not facing your edges, plus you have padding protecting you, I don’t see how that’s possible…

my main question still comes up, why do you care what it looks like if it’s in your pocket?

If looks mean nothing, then I’m not a designer.

looks always are important, but somebody said the size didn’t matter because he always kept it in his pocket, if sites were never viewed, then you wouldn’t be a designer, but sites are meant for the screen, not inisde a pocket. :slight_smile:

If they were meant to be in your pocket, why do they have a screen?

I’m just asking this question about what he said, I’m not deffending that they should be in your pocket, that’s what fubarshibby said

Me loves my iPod And I don’t get the point of it needing to be smaller. Big deal if it’s smaller. What’s it going to do? Leave more room in your pocket? I have my iPod in my left pocket and I don’t put anything else in there because I have everything I need in my right pocket (sunglasses, keys, and cell). So more room in my pocket doesn’t do anything for me.

notice he says they should be in his pocket and it just leaves more room