Minimalist Homepage Site

Hey,

I got a bit tired of some of the sites Iā€™ve used as homepages in the past, so I had a shot at making my own.

The main problem with the ā€œpersonalised homepagesā€ Iā€™ve found are that they tend to bombard me with information rather quickly until I turn into a quivering mess in the corner. The one I loved was the Firefox start page, although I couldnā€™t get to some of my other links with one click from that (you can probably see the influence)

This site is nothing special, just a simple, smooth, small, clean homepage, a bit like the firefox home. The difference is the little flash banner at the bottom, which can store links in a local xml file on your pc with a small icon based on the category. The maximum title length is 8 characters. You add and scroll through any number of links, or edit the xml manually should you prefer.

Itā€™s mainly for my own personal use anyway, but feel free to tell me what you think about it or offer any critique.

Link

http://www.abgnet.co.uk/homepage/home.html

cool but the fonts are a bit too small for my taste. hard to read at times.

itā€™s pretty nice.

shnazzy idea

poor fonts

Thats hotā€¦ i like itā€¦ market it !

Just got a new homepage :smiley: Thanks

Seems abit high upā€¦ maybe you should center it?

edit: Oh and instead of linking to the images.google.com and the other ones, integrating the search for those into the homepage will make it that big nicer :smiley:

Just got a new homepage :smiley: Thanks

Seems abit high upā€¦ maybe you should center it?

Thanks for the points; Iā€™ll integrate the image and video searches, good idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally, which fonts do you think would look better?

Iā€™ve also fallen upon a sort of stumbling block regarding vertical centering of the main div. There must be a simple cross browser way to do this?

Donā€™t bother, it looks better in the top third then it would smack dab in the middle

Rule of 1/3ā€™s my friendsā€¦ the rule of 1/3ā€™s

In which case maybe not in the middle, but a bit lower down would help.

Iā€™ve made some of the changes you suggested, including integrating the image and video searches, as well as moving it down slightly.

Iā€™ve also added the ā€œAdd Linkā€ button to the end of the chain rather than at the beginning, and made the xml for it non-editable, so people donā€™t accidentally remove it and get stuck :sigh:

P.S. If youā€™ve used it already, youā€™ll need to either reset it (add link>>edit xml>> Reset all) or delete the ā€œAdd linkā€ item from the beginning of the xml. (Youā€™ll probably need to delete your browser cache first, since it only works with the new swf that I uploaded.)