PlayStation Portable (PSP)

I think it looks sweet! (Sony seems to always have slick-design a must)

I think the games might be a little pricy (for a handheld).
Instead of the nicly-priced $35 games for GBA

From IGN
[size=1][PSP SPECS]

UMD(Universal Media Disc)
60mm
Laser Diode:660nm
Dual Layer :1.8GB
Transfer Rate:11Mbps
Shock Proof
Secure ROM by AES
Unique Disc ID

PSP CPU CORE
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM)
Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops
3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Sub Memory:2MB(eDRAM) @ 2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core 1
3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon
Compressed Texture
Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
Hardware Tessellator
Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)
ex 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 sub-division

PSP Graphics Core 2
‘Rendering Engine’ + ‘Surface Engine’
256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @ 1.2V
VRAM :2MB(eDRAM)
Bus Bandwidth :5.3GB/sec
Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec
max 33 M polygon /sec(T&L)
24bit Full Color:RGBA

PSP Sound Core: VME
Reconfigurable DSPs
128bit Bus
166MHz @1.2V
5 Giga Operations /sec
CODEC
3D Sound, Multi-Channel
Synthesizer, Effecter, etc

AVC Decoder
AVC(H.264) Decoder
Main Profile
Baseline Profile
@Level1,Level2,Level3
2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie
4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

I/O
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
Extension Port(reserved)
Stereo Head phone Out

Communication
Wireless LAN (i802.11)
IrDA
USB 2.0
[/size]

[Pictures from different sites]

[EDIT] I changed the pictures, these are the REAL and FINAL pictures of the PSP straight from E3 [/Edit]

Exactly what is the point of PSP?

from what I understand, that was just a concept. Those pictures look like someone printed it out on a piece of paper - not that its the real thing (not that I gues that matters so much since its probably more just for size comparison) but I wouldnt be too convinced that is in fact the final design at this point… that is unless anyone else has heard otherwise?

*Originally posted by Sharif *
**Exactly what is the point of PSP? **

kill gameboy?

:slight_smile:

Yeh, that’s just the case. Sony does what apple does, they specify the case, and then force their engineers to make everything fit in there.

Kill gameboy? Alright! YEA!!! I’m wit that.

**Kill gameboy? Alright! YEA!!! I’m wit that. **

That’s what Sony is trying to do. They already dominate the console market, killing Nintendo there. Now its time to take over the only market which Nintendo is still #1 - the portable console market. Gameboy is the leader there, hands down. Nothing else comes close, and really, because there’s not much competition. NGage is a joke and GameGear disappeared into oblivion. What else is there? I forget - theres something Im pretty sure but its escaping me now. Anyway, if Sony can get this thing out with a good library of games (PS1 games?) with their position in the home console market, they should have a good chance of claiming a lot of Gameboy’s glory and get a good foothold in the market - enough to maybe even surpass it in the next round of hardware upgrades (though its questionable when a new gameboy will arive - probably well before we’ll see a PSP2).

man, i’m getting so sick of 3d=games

lol… as if PSP will ever bring down Gameboy… :sure:

never know :wink:

Is nintendo planning on making a portable gamecube? With the mini-cds and the already pretty small size of the console, I bet they could crank something out.

btw - wasn’t someone on here modding a GC to make it portable. I thought I read a post about it but forgot who it was.

[edit]found it - Vash, if you ever read this, how is the conversion going?[/edit]

Like I said in the previous post, Sony tries too hard.

**Like I said in the previous post, Sony tries too hard. **

Yes, but they are a good company.

*Originally posted by asphaltcowboy *
**lol… as if PSP will ever bring down Gameboy… :sure: **

they said the same thing about a browser which owned over 95% of the market…

“Internet Explorer will never overtake Netscape Communicator”

now look what the stats say…

:wink:

Rev

*Originally posted by senocular *
**never know :wink: **

I agree. By the looks of it, you never know it might take over =)

yeah, but netscape is sh*te

*Originally posted by dropkick *
**Is nintendo planning on making a portable gamecube? With the mini-cds and the already pretty small size of the console, I bet they could crank something out. **

I think this isnt far off. You can already portable-ize your gamecube now. They have attachable LCD screens that make the gamecube a ginormous gameboy SP. The only issue (asside from the size) is power consumption. That’s one thing gameboy has going for it. Through its lifespan, its kept simple and energy efficient. Thats one of the reasons it held its ground against the more visually impressive gamegear. The gamegear had a full lit color display. But it also only lasted like 2 hours on however many batteries. The gameboy was like 10 hours on 2 AA’s (something like that - I may be off a little - but thats the point at least ;))

but that was also Nintendo’s reason for not introducing backlighting straight away… what a bunch of thickos! :sigh: so glad they changed it…!

I think they still would not have done that if it wasnt in such demand :slight_smile:

Wow, looks sleek and pretty cool! :sure:

I don’t know about the psp taking over the handheld game console market. :player:

People stick to companies that have a long reputaion of selling that stuff and then continuing to sell the games for ages after.

Thats why playstation and nintendo are so popular, everything is backward compatible! :kir:

Just ask yourself, who do i know that owns a dreamcast, gamegear and can still buy games for it and get service?
The psp has a chance but there is a chance that it will fade away like so many other projects ::cough:: ngage ::cough:: .
Will the psp continue the playstations rule into portable gaming, who knows. i’d love to get my hands on a working prototype though!!! :wink:

Sk8ing