Respawning snow?

Hi, I’ve been using the Falling Snow 2.0 tutorial, and I’m trying to use it in sort of a game, so that when the character touches the snow, the snow disappears. The snow doesn’t make any more of itself past the initial creation, so I’m trying to make it so that when the character touches the snow, the snow duplicates itself before disappearing, thus in theory there’d always be a nice supply of snow. However, I can’t seem to make it work.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

if (this.hitTest(_root.char)) {
    i = i + 1
    duplicateMovieClip(this, "newsnow" + i, i);
    unloadMovie(this);
}

I’ve also tried modifying the line “duplicateMovieClip(this, “newsnow” + i, i);” and replacing ‘this’ with ‘_root.snow’ and ‘snow’, but neither of those worked. Also, whenever I used ‘this’, it started deleting snowflakes whenever I touched them with the character (replacing, maybe?) which my first guess would be that it had something to do with the variable not transferring to the newsnow movieclips, thus overlapping the movie clip depth of something, but I’m still kind of fuzzy on the subject of variables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: After reading lots of tutorials and not really understanding half of them, I finally got the script to duplicate itself properly without overwriting previous snow, so… no need for this topic anymore!