Software prices! what are they thinking?

I think I’m good for a while…

then again, maybe I should wait until the next client request before I say that…

:smiley:

Rev

*Originally posted by kirupa *
**They have academic versions that are much more affordable. **

yeah, painter 8 is like £300+, but i got the academic version for 80!!
the only thing is, if i wanted to sell my stuff, i’m not aloud with the academic version.

Some companies give discounts to colleges and universities to pass on to their students.

They’re not all academic liscences … some things you buy in the bookstore are, but mostly it’s the real program for like $100 off or something. Same thing for hardware too.

I can got to my computer store at Penn State and get 15% off on Dell, Apple, IBM purchases, and special bundle packages on accessories, and printer inks and whatnot.

It all depends on who you are and what you’re looking for. Adacemic versions are fine if you need it for school, as "self-directed independent learning’, or if you’re going to use it for non-commercial reasons like a personal web site or online resume. But there are some places you can go to get deals. You just have to know where to go :slight_smile:

I get academic programs, the best deal I’ve gotten is about 85-90% off of Studio MX when I first got it…

well honestly im the process of making my own business proposal and get federal aid to make it i only needed $3,797.60 bucks to get all the appts i needed, which include the whole adobe CS studio, the Macromedia Studio 2004, Swift 3d V3, and the most expensive one was the Visual Studio.net Pro, ok they might be expensive but you will make the money back in n time if you know how to quote and do the job on schedule, and like rev sasy you dont need to upgrade the programs because the appts really only have a few changes that arent very significant.

Im not gonna go out and lie about never using cracked appts but in the end i ended up purchasing the real thing thanks to my experience and crash courses with cracked appts so in the end piracy isnt really that bad, it actually helps the companies get more users to learn how to use their programs thats why i applaud Alias and their PLE of Maya, if other companies would adopt this method of software promotion im sure warez wouldnt be too much of a problem.