Software prices! what are they thinking?

Hey,

In my opinion software is way too pricey!, £419 for flash mx 2004, :huh: , won’t this stupid high price just make more people not even bother getting into web design, html is the barebones of sites but who can say that they like using it to make their whole site?

Can’t they just understand that most people don’t want to spend that much, lower the price and be happy with a little less money in their huge empire?

Who agree’s with me here? :puzzled:

Sk8ing

well i do think that most software is over priced you also have to add in the cost of people cracking it. Cracks must take a toal on the companies such as Macromedia so they have to make up for it, my guess is that if cracks go down so will software…:\

The problem is that when the prices were low, people still stole it. What’s their incentive to keep prices low? There really isn’t one :puzzled:

They’ve brought this problem onto themselves!

They just need to bring the price down on their new software, advertise it like mad everywhere, and voila everyone would just buy the real stuff and only a tiny percentage of users would get the other . . .cough versions.

Sk8ing

Vote in the poll, thats what its for!

Kirupa you do have a point, and there will never be a way to stop the cracking.

Sk8ing - The thing is most of the internet population could care less about what tools people use to make their websites, just that they get made. so i doubt the advertising will do much, and those that buy it already know what they need, so they will buy it anyway. :confused: thats what i think at least.

Well, what exactly is a “low price” for software? I’m sure people who can’t be tempted to buy a $14-20 CD would definitely not be willing to pay for the applications that probably are used only a fraction of the time the actual music CDs are.

sk8ing - those who don’t want to pay will not pay…no matter how low the price is. They have academic versions that are much more affordable.

*Originally posted by sk8ing *
advertise it like mad everywhere

They already do a lot of advertising… and thats not exactly free. But you also have to consider audience. A lot of time and man hours are poured into some of these applications, but how many people are going to use them? Thats partially why 3D apps are often so expensive. A lot of technology and brain-power needed to make them but only a few people will actually use them. Of course the market is opening up some, but you know, 5-10 years ago only a few people really did much 3D. Why go to the effort of making something so complex when you only have 100 people paying you for it?

I don’t mind paying where the prices are now. I get my money back from them, though they need to put more an emphasis on quality control. Some of the new apps are becoming bloated and buggy.

*Originally posted by trendax *
**well i do think that most software is over priced you also have to add in the cost of people cracking it. Cracks must take a toal on the companies such as Macromedia so they have to make up for it, my guess is that if cracks go down so will software…:\ **

What about the people that wouldn’t buy the software anyway, if they couldn’t crack it? How can the software company be ‘losing money’ they wouldn’t have in the first place?

I just don’t understand how that can possibly work… :-\

No, i want to spend loads, the software will be better!

i agree with this as software quality will decrease with low profits to the software developers…think from developers point of view too…or our own even, would u develop an awesome looking site for free or very less money?

with the number of cracked versions prices go up cos companies dont sell as much, and it’s a crappy vicious circle…

But the thing is, if it was low-priced, not many would steal it.

*Originally posted by MTsoul *
**But the thing is, if it was low-priced, not many would steal it. **

That’s not entirely true. With the economical downslide that we have in the market today, even if Adobe photoshop was $50.00 it would not be sold any better than if it were to keep at it’s regular price now. For Adobe to gain money off this deal, they would have to multiply the amount of people they sell the product to to make up for the loss in income per product…

Right now I believe you can get the Adobe CS for $499.99. If it were say… $49.99 they would have to sell 10 copies per every user that wanted to buy the software in the first place. So… Say they would sell 100,000 copies of CS typically at the $499.99 price range. Which, isn’t unheard of btw… Alot of designing companies will buy licensing for this product by the hundreds…

So… 100,000 people at $499.99 would equal a profit of $49,999,000…

Well… if the software was priced at $49.99… They would have to sell to ten times more people… So instead of selling to 100,000 people, they would have to sell to 1,000,000 people now! Which, I’m pretty sure is possible n the long run… But you will actually see alot of design companies drop out of the array and move onto a new software…

Big designing firms will pay out $500.00 like it is nothing. If they were to see the price of a product drop by $450.00, the first thing they would assume was that Adobe is doing something wrong and that this shows instability. it’s a common business relation that if you try and cut a business a break, they will take it as a sign of weakness, not as a sign of good will.

Now, I’m glad photoshop and all the other great products are not cheap. Yes, I hope that more web designers and graphic artists emerge out of the world, but I think if it became cheap, TOO MANY would emerge… It would be like assigning 200 cherry pickers to one single cherry tree. They would just get in each other’s ways and there wouldn’t be enough trees to pick cherries off of. The market is rough, you buy the software and you can get into the game… Save up your money for an awesome product… Just so you can start a business out of it. Nothing is easy in life, so why should this be? :smiley:

Also, here is another factor… What about the countless people, like myself, who paid $499.99 for our copy of Phooshop a while back just to get cheaper upgrades?! Do we get recompensated for paying out a lot of money for the programs that we want, just to have some little pimply faced geek walk into Wal-Mart and pick up the same copy some weeks later and get it for $49.99… I would tell you what, I would be PISSED and I probably wouldn’t use Adobe again… :hair:

Just think about it :thumb::beer:

But for something like 3dsmax, it’s just…unbelievable. Other 3d programs - lightwave, maya - are not even over 1000 dollars. Discreet just prices its products so high that people THINK it’s good, when it’s not too much better than the other ones.

Then you have MM, which comes out with a new version every 8-12 months… and since it is soooo different, you feel obligated to buy the new version (I really don’t like upgrades much)…

The amount of money I have to spend on software, just to keep my business open, is insane. Fortunately, I don’t have to keep current in all of them, just the ones I use the most. Still, I’d bet that I spend one months profits per year on software for that year…

just one of my pet peaves about being independent. It seems the firms making the apps are out against the Independent Designer…

Rev

I’m an independant as well rev… But I won’t buy CS for another 3 years probably…

I don’t need it… I don’t need Dreamweaver… I don’t need Flash MX 2004… And I sue as hell don’t need any 3D programs…

If you need one of those programs… That’s what you calculate when you start the business :slight_smile:

Photoshop 7.0 with Eye Candy 4000
Notepad (Well Editpad Pro… Big whopping $30.00)
Internet Explorer as my FTP…
Macromedia Flash MX

That’s it. That’s all you really need for the basic websiting… You can actually chop out MM if you’d like to as well. But this cost me around $800. That has lasted me about 4 years now… With me just getting the upgrade version to MX and 7.0 of PS and Eye Candy… Maybe $900 total… :smiley:

Just have to make some sacrifices… A computer repair business has to make the sacrifice of ordering parts using their money and then possibly getting ripped off. My partner goes through it all the time… he has a list of people who rip him off… Can’t drop the prices of computer parts all the time just to compensate for this one instance though :smiley:

You can’t stop piracy… It just won’t ever happen.

Bringing prices down won’t help, perhaps for the music industry, but computer software is a different thing. If you think about it, the people who don’t steal the stuff are the real customers anyway - the graphic designer that uses Photoshop all the time, the company who buys TONS of liscences for using Macromedia products, the businesses that pay out the arse to use Microsoft’s newest Office system on all their PCs, and let’s not forget COLLEGES!

Why bring the price down if I’m a software company? You have those major customers making tons of purchases each time something new is even talked about.

Everyone talks about how piracy hurts, but it’s really only the record industries that take the blow from pirates. They don’t have huge multi-national companies, and small businesses all over who need to pay full price for music CDs. I mean, look at how many companies are after people for downloading the latest version of their software… not many, if any at all.

It’s the greedy music and movies industry who take the hit from piracy, even though they still make tons of money. It costs a record company like .49 cents to make a CD … but they sell for $14. That’s retarded no matter how you slice it.

Software programmers, developers, and testers all go into the design process for making computer software, and they deserve to make money for what they do.

Sure software prices are out of my pricie range, but that doesn’t mean they should come down I don’t think

Well said Magick :slight_smile:

BTW… There is a possible way to stop most pirating… I’ll have to explain it sometime… I don’t officially like the idea of it but hey… shrugs :slight_smile:

I agree Marz,

but we do different things even though we are both independent.

I’m not a programmer, so DW saves me a lot of time (I don’t have to have MX 2004, of course). I don’t need Flash MX 2004 yet (I have it, but I didn’t really need it). I’m still using AI9, PS6, I did get FW MX 2004 and am happy I did, it is soooo much faster.

I have a few 3d apps, because of clients, but nothing current. I have to have MSOffice, Adobe Acrobat, etc. etc. again, not necessarily current.

I have also had to purchase old versions of: Indesign, Quark, PageMaker, just to name a few…

Not to mention how many fonts I have had to purchase because some designer thought it was important to have a slightly different “a” than arial…

Rev

Adobe, Discreet, and Macromedia seem to overprice BIGTIME.
Microsoft and some other companies doesn’t seem to over price.

*Originally posted by reverendflash *
**I agree Marz,

but we do different things even though we are both independent.

I’m not a programmer, so DW saves me a lot of time (I don’t have to have MX 2004, of course). I don’t need Flash MX 2004 yet (I have it, but I didn’t really need it). I’m still using AI9, PS6, I did get FW MX 2004 and am happy I did, it is soooo much faster.

I have a few 3d apps, because of clients, but nothing current. I have to have MSOffice, Adobe Acrobat, etc. etc. again, not necessarily current.

I have also had to purchase old versions of: Indesign, Quark, PageMaker, just to name a few…

Not to mention how many fonts I have had to purchase because some designer thought it was important to have a slightly different “a” than arial…

Rev **

Well you get what i mean? Basically… Just buy the software that you need… Like I stated… I am the programmer so i wouldn’t need DW… But you perchance would… So that’s a need for you… But you probably wouldn’t use Visual C++ or Visual Basic… or any of the Visual Studio Suite… Borland’s especially… Which is something I do on the side :slight_smile:

Visual Studio for the .NET package is $1079.00 alone… And that doesn’t include the licensing needed for some windows programming… :ne: I know Borland’s Studio is somewhere along the lines of $2500.00…

Ohhh boy… And I’ll have to buy the new Visual Studio in February… I’ve got a couple of programs I’ve gotta make for some carlots and consignment shops around here… gets sick