Strange inconsistancy when using condenseWhite

I have found a strange inconsistancy between the textfield created in the Flash IDE and the textField created within Actionscript.

Test 1:
Create a textfield on the stage within the flash IDE, select the “render as html” check box, Embed the font, then in Actionscript set the textfield to condenseWhite and load in some external html file with line breaks <br> or <br /> into the htmlText.
The result is as expected, the text is formatted with html, the white spaces are removed, and the <br> tags display line breaks.

Test2:
Create a textfield on using Actionscript and Embed the font, condenseWhite and set the htmlText to load in some external html file with line breaks <br> or <br />.
The result is not as expected, the text is formatted with html, the white spaces are removed, and yet so are all the <br> line breaks!

Test3:
The exact same as above in Test2 except this time the external file loads into .text not .htmlText. This also means the condenseWhite is ignored as according to the docs, "The condenseWhite property affects only text that was set by using the htmlTexttext property. If you set text by using the text property, the condenseWhite property is ignored. "
The result is as expected, the text is not formatted with html and the html tags are visible within the text.

Test4:
The exact same as Test2 again except this time set the condenseWhite to false.
The result is as expected, the text is formatted with html, and the html tags are respected with line break tags displaying line breaks in the Textfield!

The tests seem to indicate that setting the condenseWhite to true on a TextField() also removes the line breaks. I have found a workaround - place an IDE TextField into a class and create instances of that class each time I need a textfield, however is is not ideal. I have a feeling that I must be missing something. Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks

Julian