Submissions for 1/17/03-1/23/03 (reply to this thread to submit a site)

If you wish to be considered for the SOTW for January 10 through January 16, 2003, please read the summary of rules:

1. Reply by Thursday, January 23 to be considered for this week’s award.

2. Include the URL and your email address. Only the webmaster/creator of the site can submit.

3. Websites submitted must be at least 90% Flash. Sites that have HTML pages with a Flash intro are ineligible.

4. While it is understood that sites are perpetually under construction, please submit only complete sites. Do not submit a site that is less than 80% finished.

5. There will be a private poll among the moderators and a winner will be announced on Monday, January 27, 2003.

6. No critiques or feedback is allowed in the submission thread. If you wish a concentrated critique of your site, you may start a thread in Site Check.

For more information or questions, please refer to the comprehensive rules for SOTW. Once you have read and understand the rules above, you may submit your site to this thread. Sites not adhering to the rules above will be disqualified and deleted. Submitting your site is an agreement and acceptance of the rules.

Ok this should be the right place as I was given the link.

The site is : bluprint
And my contact details are :

If this is wrong in any way, feel free to delete it.]

EDIT: Deleted E-mail link due to Spam bots.

Here’ my latest site I created -

Web & Mutimedia Designers resource portal!

Here’s the link: http://www.liquidsource.co.uk

Mail: [email protected]

All done in Flash! including the google search facility!

Please give your feed back, i.e - Would you use this site alot, is it easy to navigate, are the links relevent for designers? and just a general comments are more than welcome!

This is what’s in store for the future:

Stage two - All links will be implemented into a database - easyier to manage and the size will reduce greatly (those links take up alot of space you know:)) And also I will introduce advertising.

Stage three - subcatagories will be introduced, giving the site a broader scope. Most used sites will also be featured!

Thanks

And don’t forget to submit any usefull links!

Kev :slight_smile:

Hi!

I hope it isn’t considered crossposting – I am mentioning this in the site check thread too because I want some feedback on it as well (http://www.kirupaforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12975)

My site is called Four Seasons, and I built it for TheBig3d competition but I’m hoping it will make a good portfolio piece mostly. It’s experimental 3d, and quite a download but worth it (I hope!)

http://fourseasons.birnamlabs.com

You can contact me at: [email protected]

cheers!

Hello, I post mine again cause I had no news on the last week SOTW ???

(I modify the post, did have news about it now so let’s say I post again cause I didn’t won last week :stuck_out_tongue: )

The site is [SIZE=1]still[/SIZE] here http://dgezeo.alvheol.net

And my email is dgezeoATfreeDOTfr

Thanks again for visiting :slight_smile:

Not sure if I posted past the deadline on last week’s SOTW… well, that’s my excuse for re-posting =)

Astute Graphics (www.astutegraphics.co.uk)

A unique navigation experience, I hope you will agree! (I have also slightly improved speed since last week.)

Thanks,

Nick
[email protected]

Originalab AB
http://www.originalab.se

Server based document creation. Typography.

Thanks
Peter
[email protected]

3B2Online
http://www.3b2online.com

Server based document creation.

Cheers
Peter
[email protected]

www.thedarkcontent.com

[email protected]

E-Mail: [email protected]

This is my site, my company, my vision… ENJOY.

http://www.adversefx.com

[email protected]

Thank you!

SOTW…

www.akospapp.com

Good luck everybody!!! :chinaman:

Homepage : http://www.vcoweb.net
e-mail : [email protected]

Take a look

Davide

The results are in:

Kel-420: 0%
Kev: 0%
luxfx: 0%
dgezeo: 11.11%
Astute: 0%
Petterr-Original Lab: 0%
Petterr-3B2Online: 0%
michels: 0%
Concept: 0%
ADverseFX.com: disqualified (see rule #3 and #4)
akospapp: 88.89%
laotzu7555: 0%

The winner is AKOSPAPP!

Congratulations akos. You may also post a graphical award from this page: http://www.kirupa.com/gallery/awards.asp

Good job to all the participants. One of the valuable aspects of SOTW is to get valuable feedback about your site and get an idea of how well it stands beside some of the best on the web. Check back later as mod critiques will be posted later today.

Thank you!!! I’m very happy!!!

Good luck everybody next time!!!

Kel-420

Pretty suprising. At first sight, the site looked to me like a bad copy of Billy Bussey, but the design is pretty good, the usability is great, you always have a back button and all, the menu is cool… I don’t like the colors so much, and I HATE the 3D cubes, but it’s a good, solid site.

At first glance I can see it’s well composed. It has mystery meat navigation but I think overall the site is usable enough. I also like the simple animation in the portfolio. One thing that really bugged were the moving arrows - they were appropriate for some places and in others they were just annoying - like the scrollbuttons. Other than that it’s a great site… but it doesn’t get my vote this time.

Its nice, but I immediately thought of BB and the cubes are annoying, but the entire site is put together well. the Mystery Meat navigation is really annoying, but that was only minor. Nice site.

As stated, the mystery meat navigation is a pain, but over all it is usable and functional. It did look very Billy Bussey though.

Kill the pop ups for starters. I wasn’t too sure about this one really, the animation seemed too jerky for my liking, and the navigation system wasn’t clear to begin with. I did like the little spinning boxes though, nice attempt at 3D, but nah… Not my sort of thing.

Kev

Probably a good ressource site, but not very interesting as a Flash site. The sliding effect has been done 2000 times already, and the navigation is extremely confusing. You have to carefully avoid the buttons each time you move the mouse :-\

I like the way Kev has used Flash and I feel like he uses it capabilities in unique ways. I agree that the effects are not very original, but I’d like to see the innerworkings of this portal. But it really doesn’t have that exta “oomph” that I’m looking for…

Don’t like the navigation. I like to have to click the buttons and just rolling over them triggers a change and I find that kind of annoying…Not very interesting for a flash site…

The rollOver on the buttons was a big turn off. I kept getting all mixed up on what was supposed to be going on because every time I moved my mouse I was in a new section. Overall a great resource site, but not much of SOTW material in my opinion.

I like the basic idea of this one, but the navigation was a bit too whizzy for me, Every time I so much as moved the mouse it seemed to skip over to a new menu. I’d have preferred it if the text changed on a click rather than a mouse over. Good colours though and a lot of useful links in there.

luxfx

Man this is heavy. The Flash could be impressive, but it killed my computer a bit too much. Anyway, the experiments are very interesting, but they run too slow. I can’t help thinking that Flash is definitely NOT the rigth soft to do 3D.

It took much too long to load. 399k for the initial download and then approximately 800k after that for each section? I’m sure luxfx worked hard on it, but the initial interface did not impress me and I’m not waiting for the sections to load to dig out more of this site.

No content. Its cool for the 3D aspect, but not so cool as far as any content goes.

Lagged my computer. I run on a broadband modem, so load times weren’t too bad for me, but on a dial up it is sure to kill the system. Awesome experiments, but the site needs some work.

I’m not a big fan of the old “Enter” page on websites, I’d prefer just to get straight in there, but this one had a beautiful picture on it, so I’m wiling to deal. Once inside though, I thought it was a lovely site, simple but with catchy graphics, and some well thought out games / pieces.

dgezeo

Same as last week. I love it.

popup was greater than my screen so I couldn’t see a part of it - both the normal and the easy access are this way. Normal access: the design is simple. The navigation is not usable… it took me a while to figure that I must click on one of the two small, unlabeled squares to see any content. I clicked one of them (I can’t remember which one and there seems to be no way of going back… terrible usability). Anyway, I found the navigation really frustrating after that - not challenging and not amusing. I give my hand a try at Easy Access: the navigation is much more usable here. But the large popup really limited my access.

Same as last week =)

Same as last week. The pop up resizes and I can’t see any content whatsoever. A big glitch that brings this down.

Once again, pop ups = bad… Please everyone stop using them. At first I liked this, but the more I moved around, the less fond of it I got. The sliding bar that follows your mouse got irritating. I just wanted to go to something without half the screen coming along for the ride. Plus there wasn’t much in the way of content.

Astute

Same as last week.

The menu is actually great usability as it visually maps out all the contents of the site and shows were everything fits in the grand scheme of things. However, it moves around too much and is a little dodgy. Everything also appears to be massive in scale, but it does fit in my screen but I have to vertical scroll to see everything. I think with a little re-working this site could be very good.

Same as last week. Don’t like the menu and it drains the resources. It shouldn’t be draining my resources, I can only imagine what is happening on slower machines…

Same as last week. It kills my computer.

A very innovative menu system with all those circles, although I’d say it needs a little work on smoothing the transitions. Maybe I’m just being overly picky today.

Petterr-Original Lab

Nice design, nice colors, nice dynamics in the transitions, but it’s not very surprising :*( And the sound effects get annoying pretty quiclky. Nothing to scream about, just a nice professional site.

Off the bat, the site is well organized and the use of typography looks good. The music didn’t seem to fit the look of the site… it was a little like a jungle safari tune against a seemingly elegant site. At least it was off by default and I had an option to turn it back off. In any case, there seems to be no usability issues here and the layout design is pretty traditional. It’s a basically good site, but I wasn’t especially impressed - there was a lack of innovation in design and function.

Sounds and transitions are good, but there isn’t much going on. Very straightforward and simple design. I like it.

Pretty nice. I like the look, and it is useable and functional, but on my 800x600 monitor I couldn’t see the preloader (it was cut off at the bottom) so when I would click links I would wonder what was going on. This isn’t too big of a deal though. The navigation reminds me too much of 2Advanced navigation. Overall it is professional, but nothing that wowed me.

Very nice looking, but a pain to load. Took ages on my PC, and mine is usually fast. Nice once you got it going, but for the time it spent loading, I might have expected to see more…

Petterr-3B2Online

Not my kind of site. I don’t know what else to say :trout:

Oh no! I hate that “text follows mouse” efffect. There also seems to be two splash screens - one is bad enough, but two gives your viewers enough time to decide to bail out on your site. On the good side, the navigation is easy to find and follow. The intersectional tweens are not very inventive. The overall design is pretty noisy - the background is to busy and there seems to be flying letters everywhere. I think Petterr needs to find that less is more.

Not bad. Same as before, although it is slightly more complex and has more going. I like this one as well.

Very busy. The phrase “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” comes to mind. That mouse follow text effect is widely overused and not very professional. And the flying letters in the background are distracting. WHen you click the menu button at the bottom right, it closes the menu, then reopens it right away… why is it there then? I don’t like this site much, his Original Lab site was much better. (oh yeah… and 2 splash pages!!!)

Pop ups yet again… Just wasn’t particularly fond of this one. It was a very busy background, and I just wasn’t keen. The mouse follow text bit did nothing for me either.

michels

Nice site. I like the dark look, the menu is nice, everything is well done.

to be honest, after seeing so many bad sites, it’s a relief to find this site. Great navigation and design composition. Interesting combination of photos and flash elements (I like the contact form on top of the book thingy). The Dark Content Game and the rest of the interactive content was a great finishing touch.

Not really sure what to think about this one. Too dark for my tastes…

The transitions are a bit on the slow side. It took so long to get the to the guestbook only to find that I had to close the window and re-open it to get back to the site. The guestbook and the game both need to have back links to get back to the main content. Nice simple content, easy to use, overall good, but I did not enjoy having to close out the window and open it twice after the first time.

I liked the background image of the paper, but that wasn’t around very long. There were pop ups involved too.

Concept

Err… I hate the music in the intro, sorry. The site in itself is nice, and well done. But I guess 2 colors is just not enough. And the menu has too many buttons, it’s frightening. And when I clicked on a button, even more buttons appeared :hangover:

I can’t see the site unless I use Internet Explorer? What the hell? I guess the hands of the Microsoft monopoly reaches further than we thought… Since I’m automatically disqualified to view this site, this site is automatically disqualified in my book.

Only the menu and the intro are Flash. Nice looking but that stupid voice got really annoying really quickly.

I am with Ren… if this only works for one type of browser then that is a big flaw in functionality. A lot of these effects I have seen in DHTML anyway and aren’t very professional. In my opinion it is another case of “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should”.

If I have to mention pop ups once more I will scream. Didn’t like the fact that it said use the left nav to move around and I have to actually open the bloody thing to see what was on offer. Nice when it got going though, good colours.

akospapp

Same as last week :beam:

same as last time. I believe akos’ time as SOTW champ has come…

Same as last week. Simple, effective. Great for a personal site. :slight_smile:

Same as all the other times. So far from what I have seen, it is time for Akos to shine. I love his site. Great Job man.

I said in the Site forum that I liked the simplicity of his site, and last week it was my second choice. A killer site from Yamo beat him. But I think his is the best of what’s on offer this week. Smooth transitions, good colour scheme and pleasing to the eye overall. Hurrah.

laotzu7555

Anyone else feels like killing a pop-up? :trout:

I don’t feel welcome in pop-up town.

I wish I could read the content. It would make it much easier for me to judge . Looks good. Simple, not too much going on. All around its a nice site.

AHHHHH. Pop up city! I dislike pop ups, I don’t usually mind the main site opening in a pop up or something, but almost every section of your site opens in one, then the content in there opens up in new windows! Also, any windows that opened inside the actual main flash part would close before I could read it. I would move the mouse and it would close. Definitely points against the site there.

Remember what I said about pop ups? AAARRRGGGHHH!

Thanks for the feedback guyz, Yep agree on roll over was driving me crazy aswell! that’s changed now to on click! Lots of changes are due, I’ll maybe re-post it in a few weeks! Did you find the google search was usefull? quite proud of that one as it’s 100% flash (Credits also to a couple fellow kiruponers here as well who helped me out!)

Thanks and take care

Kev :slight_smile:

Thanx for the feedback.

You gave everyone in the office a good laugh with the BB comments. None of us can see it but hey…

Thanx again :slight_smile:

The thing that made me think of BB is the spinning cubes. Because he has (or had) spinning cubes. I personally feel that spinning cubes have been so over done that they just want to die in peace and be left alone. Just my personal preference. Your site is amazingly well put together tho. The reference to BB was not a bad one. Merely a comparison. :slight_smile: You should submit again…