Time Travel

Its actually been proven, and i think phil mentioned this,
that if 2 synched watches , and take one into space and back, when you get back it’ll be unsyched, which means, one clock ran slower than the other one.

so this is how it breaks down.

The Faster we go, in a short amount of time, the more time slows down. We dont see it, we dont really feel it, but time slows down a bit. It happens here on earth , its just so miniscule that no one notices. But take that time over a distance…

Say your traveling at the speed of light, you travel to somewhere that takes you 20 years at the speed of light, and 20 years back. And you do age 20 years in the space ship, so take my age, im 20, now i get back and im 40 and everyone is dead. Its because time is relitive.

Its hard to explain, but the phemonenon is called the “Twin Paradox”. Heres a good animation and example here…

http://www3.ltu.edu/~s_schneider/physlets/main/twinparadox.shtml

play with the values on that java appelet, and do something like 100 light years with .99 speed, and you’ll see the progression.

also if you’re interested, check this out too…:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html

Check it out, and if your still confused, we’ll still talk about it, its awesome stuff =)

That is wicked cool and makes perfect sense!!!

I never knew that it was proven that different speeds really do effect time :o

yea =) its a very odd phemonimon,

I love this stuff! =) its great!

but thats why i say its a one way trip, you cant evee go back to your present. =)

What about if you move backwards :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that sorta makes no sense, but it sorta does. Since you are either going into or against the earths rotation the speed will be calculated different.

I don’t know, just babbling, don’t mind me.

Oh and another cool thing is,

Light travels very fast by our terms,…
But have you ever looked up at the stars? Those stars are ages old. We’re now seeing their light that was emitted thousands, maybe billions of years ago.

and there are new stars beign born that we cannot see yet and wont for a while…

And so thats why astonomers are looking farther and farther into the universe, because its like they are going back in time =)

dont believe me? take the sun for example.
It takes 8 mins for the suns light to emit from the sun to earth.

So when you look at the sun (not directly i hope hehe) you’re seeing the sun how it was 8 mins ago =) so if the sun collapsed, it would take 8 mins till we saw no light… =) cool eh?

Lost,

hehe yea, if you move backwards,

still if You move backwards, its still going forward in time, because what is backwards to us, a forward motion facing the opposite direction =)

so it still wouldnt work.

Ok heres the theories on how to get back and forth thru time…

To go backwards in time, Travel so fast, faster than light, so that time will slow down, and stop then reverse…

or go forward in time,
Travel out somewhere very fast and come back…

those are the only ways i’d know how to move back and forth. hehe but still would take lots of energy.

Now another theory would be what if time is described and placed in other dimensions of space and time, well if that was the case you coudl theorettically create a worm hole between the 2 time dimensions and go back and forth.

However then if you go back in time you’re messing with history and causing rippels and etc… =) lol

Yeah, that is info I already knew.

My dad used to teach me astronomy stuff when I was little so I know a lot about space and stuff.

And how our milky way galazy is slowly moving (by space standards that is, in actuality it is moving incredibly fast) and our neighbor galaxy (is it andromeda… i forget?) is moving towards us, and we are moving towards it and in a few million years we will collide, and converge into one. (of course theory)

They have seen things like it in other galaxies that they recorded. Where the galaxies collided and some of them destroyed eachother and others actually melded to become one larger.

I don’t know how they recorded that since it takes a long time to do, but I saw it on the discovery channel.

possibly the recording was a 3d rendered thing or a simulation of some sort,

most things you see on those channels are simulated or have an artists rendition =) because its hard to capture this stuff =)

They showed sattelite photos of some like halfway converged.

hmm cool i’d like to see those =)

Umm… this is scientific, not religious :stuck_out_tongue:

It can’t really be proven god made everything, but science has proved the whole light theory :slight_smile: :o :stuck_out_tongue:

haha :slight_smile:

time dilation is a PROVEN phgenomena.

time travel will never come to be. sorry but its just not gonna happen. =/. refer to current research done by hawkins as to why.

We already said Time Dilation was proven :slight_smile:

As for time travel not possible… DON’T RUIN OUR DREAMS MAN!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

nothing to do with God. just physics. btw ur logic in the light traveling being billions of years old and the object only being a few thousand years, plus the earth being young, sounds severely flawed.

wow i just reread my post and i sound like an ass hole. im sorry :frowning: im a in a rush.

VTS, to say time travel is not possible is kinda giving up …

im not saying its completly possible, and im not saying it isnt, what i am saying is maybe Hawking is wrong? (and possibly so because hes human) I think we’ll always strive to better ourselves and thinking of new theories etc… I think right now, time travel is not possible. But who knows in the futured maybe… =)

Phil,

Dr, Steven Hawkings,
hes a cosmologist whos in a wheel chair, talks with his computer, i’d say one of the brightest man ever, puts him right up with with all the rest in history. does most of his work in Time travel, quantum mechanics, space time continum stuff etc…

Brilliant man, if i could be 1/10th as smart he is, i’d be doing good lol

I think he is considered one of the worlds top known geniuses… literally.

I think if i could meet Dr. Hawking, i’d be like a teenage girl at a Nsync Concert lol (not litterally) but man, i’l be like …whoa… and then, yea… =) lol

Im watching a show on Gallelo, now, he too was a genuis for his time =)

Nova is so cool…

:cool:
Rev:elderly: