Tutorial Topic Suggestions?

The problem with a lot of tutorials is that, well, they’re useless. If I take something like the random motion tutorial, I’ll get nothing out of it. I might be able to copy and paste it into a new file, but I won’t be able to change very much because I haven’t actually learnt anything.\r\rContrarily, if I take something like the duplicateMovie tutorial, there we go, I’ve learnt a new command. I know how to duplicate movie clips. I can use this in any context where it’s useful.\r\rGive us really simple tutorials that just teach how to do one specific thing (preferrably a command), then let us put two and two together to figure out how to combine these functions and make something more complexe.

the point of some of these tutorials is to teach you the basics and some new things. you don’t take a tutorial for what it is, but what you learn from it. i’d sure as hell rather learn from experience/example than from textbooks. i agree that there are some tutorials that shouldn’t be because they don’t teach you anything. when i write, i aim to talk about some elements in flash nobody would think of using yet is pivotal with learning flash. For example, i remember one time i gave a short lil tutorial that used the Align panel. most people didn’t even know that lil tool existed! yet it is so useful in many cases.

You can make some tutorials about the new actions implemented in Flash MX, like the one that loads external sound file etc…
But make tutorials that can be actually useful, not something that I don’t need. (that’s a bit egoistic… sorry)

i hear ya, i’ll try working on it.

LiveAcoustic does have a point there. I agree that the tutorials I enjoyed the most were not random motion or the stinky bacteria effect, but those simple swapDepths, duplicateMovieClip, tellTarget and such. I totally agree that there should be a short tutorial for all those functions, just to tell us how it works.
That’s not a reason not to make any ‘special effects’ tutorials though (man, I just did this gravity thing :lol: )
pom 0]

Pom,
I agree with you that there needs to be more tutorials such as the duplicateMovieClip and such. Duplicate and Swap Depths are my favorite tutorials because people can learn those concepts and create cool animations without having to learn other ‘stuff’.

I’m currently pouring through the Flash MX manuals I received (reviewer’s copy) and I will have a tutorial for most of all the actionscript portions such as: tellTarget, attachSound, the ScrollBox for images and text, and many more. I still have not forgotten about the fully functional flash site, etc. etc.

Once I survive the last quarter of school (8 weeks), I will definitely spend more time adding a LOT of tutorials on various topics such as ActionScript, Special Effects (all the animations on my site such as my footer, etc.), Swift 3D, and more.

Cheers!
Kirupa =)

drop down menu’s on 1 key frame,adjust music volume ,thats all that i can think of at the moment

** Actionscript Encyclopedia**

And actionscript encyclopedia would be really a swell idea. Think about this;
A catalogue of very simple and hard things that can be done using actionscript. With the illustarted tutorial on how to make such effect, along with ‘string tutes’ that would be conected on how to do the same thing using a ‘different’ script. I think this ones a winner too.

pj
thinking man
This is kind of a hybrid of Lives good idea above