Uploading help needed

Hello,
I have finished creating my flash mx animation movie and have published the files. I have both the .swf file and .html file uploaded to the same place on my server. I have called my hosting company and requested the MIME type be installed and they said it was all set.
When I open up the .html file through HomeSite, I can view the animation. When I try to view it through my IE browser after uploading the files, it doesn’t load. What am I doing wrong? I tried to paste in the html code into this post, but it won’t work.

TIA!
Koala

check the case of the filename…

make sure the upper case and lower case of the filename is exactly how it is after you uploaded the file…

that could be one of the reason…I think…

yes, the case is the same.

or how about giving me the link to view…

also forgot to mention that when I type in the address to the .swf file and try to view that, all I get is garbage (boxes, letters, numbers, etc.)

sorry…never encounter before…don’t know how to help…

:x

okay, thanks for the help.

Koala :slight_smile:

no problem at all, but anyway… I didn’t render any help to you also…

but here is a short checklist of what you can look out:

1)make sure the flash player version is correct

2)check the case of the filename because if you view locally the case does not matter, but viewing online the case must be correct and ftp program sometimes will change the case after uploading.

3)try publishing as html first then use another system without flash installed to view locally.

4)as for the garbage character, try changing fonts to a common fontsw and see whether it helps

think thats about all I can cook up with at the moment…

:pirate:

*Originally posted by gordian *
1)make sure the flash player version is correct

Yep, just downloaded it yesterday.

2)check the case of the filename because if you view locally the case does not matter, but viewing online the case must be correct and ftp program sometimes will change the case after uploading.

Just check the file, the case is the same.

3)try publishing as html first then use another system without flash installed to view locally.

I haven’t tried this one yet.

4)as for the garbage character, try changing fonts to a common fontsw and see whether it helps

Font used is Times New Roman (or whatever it’s called) so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m wondering if there is something wrong with the way it saved the file. What happened is…I created the file and then saved it. Then I went into publish settings and made sure .html and .swf were checked, and then made some changes (like unchecking the “loop” box) and then I published it. When I went to shut down Flash MX, a box popped up and asked me if I wanted to save the file. Since I had already saved it, I said no. Could that be a problem?

I dun think that should cause a problem. By saying “No” at the prompt only means that when you want to access your fla again…it might not be updated with the latest change thats all…

should not cause haywire behaviour to your swf…

could you give me the url to view your html? or simply upload your fla and html then I can give it a try and see whether I can find out the error or not…

no promise that I will solve the mystery though…:stuck_out_tongue:

lol! Okay, here ya go:

http://www.nobodyleaves.com/nl.html

http://www.nobodyleaves.com/nl.swf

http://www.nobodyleaves.com/nl.fla

thanks!

I am able to view the movie!!! so most probably is a case of flash player version or web browser problem…

Hey Koala,
I know what your problem is-

You don’t have a problem. Your site looks great! I pulled it right up with the html link.

By the way- It is normal to get garbled text when you try to pull up the swf file in a browser.

Craig

sigh I don’t understand. I can’t get it to load, and I have the most recent player (as of 2 days ago - downloaded straight from macromedia, and the shockwave player).

I just had 2 friends test it through AOL and it came up for them, but it loaded slowly. I had another friend on IE 6 test it and it wouldn’t work.

I’m using IE 5.5. Could that be the problem? If it’s not the version, is there something I have to enable in the browser?

Oh, I just remembered something…I’m running ZoneAlarm Pro 3, if that matters.

Craig - thanks for the compliment!

I solved the problem!!!

It was ZoneAlarm. I killed it and the movie played!

Yippee!!

last question…(I hope g) do you have any tips on how to make it load faster? AOL users seem very slow.

OIC what craig means…

you try to open the swf in a browser…thats why you get garbbage!!!

swf is for opening with flash player…and not for opening in web browser using flash plugin…

you need to use the html file generated when you publish…because there is script inside which tell the browser what to do with the swf…

Ok then…your mystery is solved then…

:slight_smile:

if you want the swf to load faster the only way is to make it smaller and easier to load…which means it will depends on how you tune your movie…

one important thing is dun use unneccessary resources like making too many duplicate copy of a symbol … you should use the instance of it instead…I believe you should be able to find quite alot of resources on optimisation on the net…

and after tuning it…you can keep track of the effect when you test your movie…go to view and enable the bandwidth profiler or use the short cut CTR + B

thats all I am able to advice from my limited knowledge of flash…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, I’m surfing the net now.

Thank you so much for your help!

make sure everything is optimized like your jpegs or gifs, also you can load different external movies instead of one big one by using the load movie function.