US police state

no phil you must be mistaken as Vash and others on this post have said ‘things like this wont happen’ , some one would notice and stop it…

well new flash they didnt this time, and lets hope the same dont happen when they wanna send the army or navy seals into the next riot which they dont like huh

:whistle:

Post an add in the paper, 59 days before an election (You are off, its 60 days) and wait to get sued or arrested, and keep claiming freedom of speech and appealing until the supreme court hears it and over turns the law…
… or… OR!!

Put all your faith in the goverment and GW not to abuse this law and either revoke it on its own or never take a step further…

:sigh:

wether it can be overturned or whatever is irrelevent it proves that crazy laws and bills can be passed with no public knowledge.

aye ave

Sieg Heil!

I actually find political attack ads the same as me running into a movie theater and yelling “fire!” just for fun. Maybe now, what the candidate will do can be emphasized over what the opponent did not do :wink:

It’s not perfect, but it is in a good direction. Also, statistically, the one who gets the most money does happen to win the elections. There are more to elections than just the national elections. Career politicians (who I think are beneficial anyway) exist primarily because of their ability to raise enormous amounts of money that their non-elected challengers can’t raise.

http://www.antiwar.com/bock/b102202.html

This link is good, read the guys opinions and knowledge on this matter, for those who cant be bothered this is an important point he makes…

In July homeland security honcho Tom Ridge raised quite seriously the possibility of repealing the Posse Comitatus Act as one step in fighting the war on terrorism. Other officials and dignitaries have suggested revisions in the act to permit more open cooperation between civilian and military authorities.

That would be a mistake.

To many this concern may seem abstract and theoretical. Who really worries about a military takeover in the United States?

As John Eastman, a law professor at Chapman University who clerked for Justice Thomas and is affiliated with the conservative Claremont Institute, explained to me last week, however, “One reason we’ve been able to have a standing army that has not assumed power or seriously threatened our freedom is because we have maintained the civilian/military distinction. The prospect for Caesarism becomes much more serious when we breach those lines.”

EDIT

read what they are saying, the may not repeal the act but the are considering ‘revisions’ to it…also note it has already been broken and the militaries involvment in the sniper case was unlawful but no one seemed to notice or care.

Kirupa, lets say that you think that something about one candidate or another is not being shown, News networks aren’t going to show what you think or found, so you decide to take a a small add in a newspaper, before the election, next thing you know you got Federal Agents at your door!

Now, is that currbing freedom of speech or what?..

I admit to you Kirupa, I don’t mind the Idea of it, as I don’t mind the Idea of silencing Neo-nazis and the KKK, but as much as I like the Idea of it, anything that will infringe of free speach I am totaly against, down to the letter, I cannot support anything that can have me arrested for what I show or say.

*Originally posted by RussianBeer *
**Kirupa, lets say that you think that something about one candidate or another is not being shown, News networks aren’t going to show what you think or found, so you decide to take a a small add in a newspaper, before the election, next thing you know you got Federal Agents at your door!

Now, is that currbing freedom of speech or what?..

I admit to you Kirupa, I don’t mind the Idea of it, as I don’t mind the Idea of silencing Neo-nazis and the KKK, but as much as I like the Idea of it, anything that will infringe of free speach I am totaly against, down to the letter, I cannot support anything that can have me arrested for what I show or say. **

theres the catch of freedom you see, more freedom means more trouble…have to take good with the bad it seems