Warrior on Steed - Low poly game model

Another update with the headpiece and more texture work. For those that asked how I made this I’ll do another render in wireframe. Hopefully that’ll give you more of an idea. I also put an example of my texture map for this model in the bottom left hand corner. It’s 1024x1024, which is fairly generous for a game model I gather.

Anyway, here is the update. I’ll start on the warrior soon!

lookin nice:thumb:

…wireframe shot. Time to start the warrior now (-: I’ve got over 5000 triangles to spend still so I can add more detail where necessary.

ya, they do have an educational version of maya, we had it beginning of last year at my university…but there were a few glitches: they upgraded and we were using the full new version before november…this year theyre getting some new pcs to match, the old sgis just dont cut it nymore… took me 4 hours to render a 10 second robot animation… (**** texture maps!!)

Electrongeek, you will totally dig maya! i look forward to seeing what you come up with :wink:

You should be making games! This is great!

*Originally posted by Syko *
**You should be making games! This is great! **

I’m going to apply for some local positions when my portfolio is a bit more fleshed out. I’m an IT support consultant by trade, but hopefully I’ll be able to break into game design and 3D modelling.

I think you could very well get a job in game design…

The model looks really cool

hope to see the warrior soon :slight_smile:

IS this warrior going to be an Eskimo type warrior? Or even human?
Excellent work so far.

I’m struggling so far. I’ve gone through a few different concepts. I wanted an eskimo type (large coat, or furs), but I’ve been trying to incorporate some armour into the design… The objective for a fantasy type character so I have to add some more fantasy like characteristics. I think I might ditch the metal armour in favour of some leathery type armour… might be more natural looking.

Acting on a few suggestions I’ve fixed up the steed. I’m in the process of re-mapping and redrawing the textures for the face. I’ve also given him fangs for that prehistoric Smilodon look. I think it adds an element of the nasty to him.

it does, but perhaps his forhead should be higher? looks mean in the teeth, but soft and furry in the head

Aww, I liked the polar steed as it was without fangs :slight_smile: Reminds me of warcraft 3 :sigh: Except that the rider of THAT polarbear was actually a PANDA with a big kinda “samurai” fighting stick and a “rice hat” (whatever you call those things the people who work at ricefields use :P). Anyways, it looks really good!

actually, i think i liked the first polar bear. The rider should have a long spear.

*Originally posted by morse *
**The rider should have a long spear. **
he’d have to if he wanted to hit anything from on top of that thing!

:smirk:

I prefered him without the fangs. The great thing about polar bears is that they look so huge and powerful, but have a softness to them as well. A nice contrast.

i agree, if you want to give it fangs i suggest start over and make a sabertooth tiger… or keep this one and also make the tiger :wink:

Or two tigers! And a moth!

hehe… due to overwhelming advice I’ll ditch the fangs :frowning: - lucky its way easier to delete geometry than add it!

yeah the fangs just didnt fit right, but be sure to keep the head gear! that is dope! man you should write some tuts. please!

The headgear didn’t fit in with the whole polar look. I’ve had to ditch it. I’ll try and make something else that looks cool though.