Web hosting

hey guys
i currently am paying 30 bucks a month for one yahoo hosted site
ok basically they are raping people - this is ridiculous

anyway - i know a bit of coding and want to drop them immediately and redo the site myself
i dont know much about web hosting but came across this host

http://www.imhosted.com/compare_plans_detailed.shtml

now, im thinking about their standard plan which is $13.95, 500 MB disk space and 15 gig transfer

wondering about a couple of things:
where it says os platform - linux(red hat) does this mean u can only have a mac? or something?
also, the fact that it says subdomains unlimited means that i can have as many sites as i want correct?

wow, I wish this thread would of appeared 2 months ago when I was looking for a host. I already got one now so I’m stuck with it for a year. oh well. :-\

I have the same host that Phil has, and I recommend them to all my clients. Also, Rev has an offer that is only available to the people on this board (as far as I know) you may want to check this out:

http://www.kirupaforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9784

go to findmyhosting.com and find yourself a very very cheap place where you can register your domain then go to [URL=http://www.dr2.net]dr2.net and get yourself the value package. 15$/year PHP,100mb,etc.

thx guys but who the hell should i go with, there are like 3 options now
oh and the one that i posted is not good?

i like your 7.95 plan phil, but would it meet my needs?
id like a simple html site(that i have the domain for)
and a flash site

thx again

well… my option is less that 20$/year, that’s 1.7$/month :slight_smile:
PHP is supported n’ all!
[ That’s what I’m gonna take ]

he measn monthly bandwidth! at dr2.net it’s 4GB!

at ipowerweb.net its 20gbs. probably more than you will ever use…

*Originally posted by Neo_Clone01 *
**thx guys but who the hell should i go with, there are like 3 options now
oh and the one that i posted is not good?

i like your 7.95 plan phil, but would it meet my needs?
id like a simple html site(that i have the domain for)
and a flash site

thx again **

Just my 2 cents, but here is what I can get you for being a fellow Kirupian, should you decide to take it ($6.25/mo =) )

10 Gig space, email, asp, cgi, php, MMgenerator2, coldfusion, no charge for domain transfer ($10 to reg new domain), 1 Gig transfer (more than you’ll need) subdomains avail, Access db, etc., etc. Basically, if you want to add software to the server, if it’s approved, no problem. There is a human at the other end of the phone who will talk to you about it… today… without a long wait on hold, without entering a bunch of numbers, etc.

Since this ISP hasn’t marketed itself as a “hosting service,” there is not a lot of websites on the ISP, so throughput is always high (just check out how quick my site loads). This guy and I developed websites together a few years back, and understands the budding web designer’s needs very well.

There, that is my 2 cents worth. All of these plans are good though, whichever you decide on. Have fun choosing!

Rev:elderly:

:stuck_out_tongue: :beam::stuck_out_tongue:

Just passin’ on the good Mojo to my fellow residents of Kirupalvania…

X’s & O’s

Rev:elderly:

lol this is all very funny considering that things are being answered both here and on private messages
its all crazy

anyway, i appreciate all of the info
now i am left with this decision

on the one hand phils option seems like A LOT more for only an extra dollar a month

on the other hand rev’s option will probably fulfill my needs

phils option would leave room to expand in the future, but rev’s says thetre is not a lot of traffic which will lead to a fast loading site

lol DECISIONS!!

think ill go with…

PHILS! (took me a whole 6 minutes to decide that one)

hehe, rev that is a great offer, but i figure its only an extra buck a month for more space that ill prolly never use

ill probably order it tomorrow, i have to cancel my CRAP $30 a month yahoo ripoff first.

i would like to redo this site (which was done using yahoo’s restricted templates)
www.patricksgallery.com

so starting from scratch, how would i set up the multiple pages?
i know a little html and i have dreamweaver - so i should just find some tutes on dreamweaver an get crackin ?

thx everyone, great to have such help

thx lol my father is patrick, i just designed the site for him

so…dreamweaver is the program to go with?

and u said something about a simple downloadable ftp program, what would that be?