What's the best way to lay out a Flash website?

I guess this sounds like a case for Judge Judy. Whatever. It doesn’t really matter, just make sure you don’t let your name be used again. Thanks for the advice though, on how to properly kill a dog with chocolate. I was kidding about that anyway. Just make sure yor username and password is secure. Otay panky? :slight_smile:

philman

Register… register register. I’ll bet you 100 to 1 that it was Ryhle… discovered that you were not registered, and decided to post in your place. Make a global ezboard account… or at least a local one, and get yourself a password. Cause how it’s set up now, anyone can post as you.

Blessed be sir.

I figured that this was the case. The most notable thing is that the real one punctuates. The fake one, on the other hand, says things like “ddont”.

whats the point to register? and whats locally and global? i was just kidding, it was me, but im sorry for yelling

(ps the best way to eat chocolate is chocolate its-self.)

See? He isn’t punctuating now. This is the fake, claiming that the real one was just kidding when he said there was a fake.

The fake, as you can see, is an idiot. Even after reading my post he neglected to do a good job at copying the real one’s writing style.

You know what, I made the exact same remark. I also thought that he was the fake pretending he was the real pretending he had been pretending that he was not the real himself, because of his lack of punctuation. Pretty tricky. Does anybody think we can use the “Flash banning procedure” Phil proposed against him ?

pom

I’ve been noticing a hell of a lot of people on this board punctuate. That amazes me. I didn’t realise anybody on the internet actually punctuates except for me. Hell, this is the first board I’ve seen where the users don’t break in to incomprehensible psycho-babble such as “@#%$ D00D LOLOLOLOL”, let alone punctuate properly.

I’ve also noticed there’s a pile of people here who speak English as a second language that will say something perfectly grammatically correct with completely rational words only to have someone who speaks english as a first language reply, confused as to the meaning of a perfect rational english word simply because it has more than four letters. Then, of course, the person who doesn’t speak English will appologise for his or her “horrible english”.

I’m not sure how to react to that one…

roflmao… thats tff what do you mean about puncutation anyway do you think that none of us know how to write inglish Yo! you dissin meng dont be dissing the inglish or ill pop you one in the gob

:wink:

I know exactly what you mean.

Right, I’ve now gone to EzBoard (as recommended!) and registered properly with a new username.

Any posts that appear on here now from olliebrindley should be ignored, as they are from some idiot! If there’s any way you can ban that username, please do so, as I will no longer use it.

ilyaslamasse, thanks for your help, it was good to know I’m on vaguely the right track! Sorry you had to be subjected to a torrent of abuse for your troubles!

Ollie

We had an initial topic, didn’t we…

Personally, I’d recommend (if you know how) to use flash and HTML together. Just use Flash for the images and the navigation bar and all that crap, but use HTML to seperate said flash animations in to tables and fill in the main subjects and text. It’s a little harder, but it turns out a hell of a lot better and you can still do cool techniques - you just have to orient them around the navigation bar.

But that’s just my opinion. If you ignore it, you should probably make your site as bandwith and download friendly as possible, as was previously recommended. Personally, I have a good modem and tend to ignore that factor by making unnecissarily huge animations. That, of course, my major failing - not everybody has broadband.

We had an initial topic, didn’t we…

Personally, I’d recommend (if you know how) to use flash and HTML together. Just use Flash for the images and the navigation bar and all that crap, but use HTML to seperate said flash animations in to tables and fill in the main subjects and text. It’s a little harder, but it turns out a hell of a lot better and you can still do cool techniques - you just have to orient them around the navigation bar.

But that’s just my opinion. If you ignore it, you should probably make your site as bandwith and download friendly as possible, as was previously recommended. Personally, I have a good modem and tend to ignore that factor by making unnecissarily huge animations. That, of course, my major failing - not everybody has broadband.

I have done both methods liveacoustic, as well as the “frames” deal.

each method has it’s ups and downs. In general I tend to agree with you on the html thought. It is a veritile method of flash construction.

Ahh, back to the original point!

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to use HTML with Flash (or even on its own, come to that!). I’ve sorted out how its going to be structured now and also kind of got my head around preloaders.

However, can I use preloaders on separate scenes within a movie? Basically, I’ve set up a preloader on the first scene of one section and it works fine when I try it with Streaming showing. However, I then tried to add a preloader into the start of the next scene, in case that still hadn’t loaded when the user clicks on the link. At that point things started going wrong and the preloader on the first scene no longer worked properly - it just kept looping the loading animation.

Is there an easy way around this problem, or is my best bet to lose the scenes and split it into separate movies again?

Ollie

I propose the following; Neither Ollie is the real one. Notice how the ‘real ollie’ wanted help on how to lay out a menu. This one, or ones because their are more than 1, cause 1 punctuates and the other doesn’t, is;t interested in anything other than blathering and talk about nothin. Personally I think their is no real Ollie. He doesn’t exist, never did. But now he only wants you to think he does. Get it yet?

hmmmm,
pj

Hmmmm, interesting but, alas, untrue!

I thought I should message back about my last question (about preloaders and different scenes).

Please don’t waste your time aswering it as I seem to have sorted it out now, by changing how I’d structured the preloader (using _ifFrameloaded rather than _loadAmount)

Thanks again,

Ollie

sorry you are taking a beating about the whole misunderstanding above. I believe you, and furthermore accept your appologie for screwing around with us before.

As for layout. Perhaps it would be best to show us some thumbs of the layout that you’re interested in producing, then we could probebly be more accurate in our opinion about what would be best in your situation.

But, you gotta admit it was ripe for piling it on and having some fun. :slight_smile:

oh yeah… I don’t blame you either. He came here, mouthed off, then tryed to cover that fact… that’s a pain… I just happen to have accepted the appology and I’m moving on. I haven’t seen any other aberant behavior from him.

People make mistakes. :slight_smile: I know I do.

You poor thing. Your name has been appended. You lost a few letters! But learned, I’ll bet about leaving your browser open when you walk away from your desk at werk…I’m glad you stuck it out. This board has a lot of great helpers.

pj