What's the best way to lay out a Flash website?

Hello and congratulations on a great website!

I’ve been using Flash for a couple fo months now, with the intention of designing a website for the company I work for.

I think I’m getting somewhere on it (and have found your forums and tutorials v. useful!), but there are a few issues that I’m not sure of:

How should I structure the site?

Basically, the site is to be about 15 pages (at first). Should I structure the site as one Flash movie with links to different scenes within the movie, or do I need to split it into separate movies that load each other?

If that is the case, I am right in thinking that I would do this be forming a basic layout with the menu bars at the side and then leave space to load contant for each page in as separate movies? (Am I making sense here?!)

I’m also a little unclear as to how preloaders work. The way I currently have it set up is as a load of different scenes with menu buttons linking to the appropriate scene. Are preloaders only used for loading separate movies or can I use them to preload other scenes within the same movie?

Also, the site will have quite a few photos on it that I would like to enlarge when users click them. I have acheived this through the loadmovie command, but can I preload the photos or am I best off scrapping the idea as it will take a lot of download time?

Ollie

why is NOBODY talking?

Hello???

I think that nobody’s talking cos they’re all eating big mac or something. You can’t take them that. But I never eat.

Concerning your preloader question, I suggest you check out that topic :
pub40.ezboard.com/fkirupa…=172.topic

Concerning the way to structure the sit, there’s another post :slight_smile: :
pub40.ezboard.com/fkirupa…2134.topic

I’d say that if your content is small, you can make a single movie, cos it won’t be too long to load. But the best thing is that you visit the tutorial site of that post and learn how to load movies, because that will change you life, man. Really. If you want something to be nice and clean, and fast, and beautiful, and successful, you’d better learn how to do that.

> If that is the case, I am right in thinking that I would do this be forming a basic layout with the menu bars at the side and then leave space to load contant for each page in as separate movies? (Am I making sense here?!)
Absolutely right.

> Also, the site will have quite a few photos on it that I would like to enlarge when users click them. I have acheived this through the loadmovie command, but can I preload the photos or am I best off scrapping the idea as it will take a lot of download time?

Of course. If someone wants to see 1 pictur, he’ll have to load all of them. That’s crazy. Load them when he wants them.

pom

that ddint help at all , in fact what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sorry about that. I sometimes have trouble to write in English. Pas la peine de t’énerver comme ça mec.
pom

what the crap language is that , you suck idiot i donno what that means i bet its something bad tho you stupid !#@!#@!#!@$#@!$@$#^$%^&%^^&^&*^%&%$^&%$^$%^$% and this board sucks and so does kirupa , you guys dont know the first thing about flash.

That’s why you’re asking the question?

If you continue this behavior you will be Banned, and it will have nothing to do with you insulting the board…that’s fine…

A) don’t come in here and think that you can insult someone because they don’t speak English well… this is a world wide web DUMB A$$. You’re response was entirely uncalled for.

B) This board is monitored by classrooms, and enforced is the rule of normal classroom behavior. If you can’t accomplish that, please leave now, don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

If you had bothered to answer nicely the first time, I’d have been able to help you out, and probebly explain it in terms that you’d have no problem with, but due to your attitude, you can go suck an egg.

here, here!!!

ZH…

What nerve you have to insult someone who is trying to help you? I have posted numerous times on this board whithout even getting a response. If the response doesn’t werk for you, then it doesn’t werk, but somebody took the time to try to help you and you insult them because it isn’t the right answer. Why don’t you just leave? If nobody here knows anything about flash and you know it ALL why are you posting and asking for help? Get with it. Either drop your tude or don’t log on. Kindness is the only method that werks in this forum. If you cannot show it when someone tries to help you certainly do not deserve answers to your problems. Lose your tude or find a board where your attitude is accepted. There won’t be many if any at all.

philman

hear, hear! ; )

in fact what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul…this is a movie quote but i forgot what movie…thinking…cant remember…anyone know

Yeah, you know I’ve heard that somewhere before too… I’m sure of it. It’ll come to us…

I think it was Pulp Fiction; And obviously Ollie is the guy who rants and rambles off Gods word (scripture) right before he offs somebody, you know that quote he kept on saying from Ezekiel…Yada, Yada. BTW, my neighbors dog is named Ollie and we tried offing him a few months ago with a pound of chocolate. didn’t werk tho, he still wakes us up every morning. I don’t know that thats relevent but its phunny.

Flashoholicly yours,

i think its also from the simpsons

Definitely not Pulp Fiction. The Simpsons ???

pom

Hmmmmm, Ollies not around insulting everyone any longer. He mus have figured it all out and not need us any more.
Hmm.

Or was it just my Flashminagtion?

philman

I feel I should make clear that all these messages that have come from my user name have not come from me!

I sent the first (serious) one because I desparately need help from you guys - all of them after that (from OOOOkay… onwards) were not sent by me and I have no idea how they appeared!

My computer has been out of action since Wednesday and I haven’t had a chance to even look at the postings on the board - on looking at it today, I see that someone has posted all these messages, supposedly from me!

I don’t know how this has happened - I don’t think anyone I know even knows I use this site (let alone knows my password!), so I don’t think it can be anyone from my office. Also, the messages are posted at 1.15pm. I’m based in the UK and, although I’m not sure exactly what the time difference is, my first message was posted at 6.25am your time, so the later ones were posted at some time late evening/early morning UK time - and I don’t even have a computer at home!

So anyway, I thought I’d best let you know that someone has managed to do this. If I find out it was someone here at work, I’ll kick their ass and then let you know that the problem is at my end and not someone hacking in.

I came to you for your help as this is the best Flash site I’ve seen - I don’t want to offend any of you and can only ask that you believe what I have to say.

Ollie.

P.s. if you want to kill a dog (Phil), apparently you make sure you use plain chocolate and not the milk variety - much more effective!

Hey, you should try and register then to have your nickname, well, registered (still have problems in English).

pom

I feel I should make clear that all these messages that have come from my user name have not come from me!

I sent the first (serious) one because I desparately need help from you guys - all of them after that (from OOOOkay… onwards) were not sent by me and I have no idea how they appeared!

My computer has been out of action since Wednesday and I haven’t had a chance to even look at the postings on the board - on looking at it today, I see that someone has posted all these messages, supposedly from me!

I don’t know how this has happened - I don’t think anyone I know even knows I use this site (let alone knows my password!), so I don’t think it can be anyone from my office. Also, the messages are posted at 1.15pm. I’m based in the UK and, although I’m not sure exactly what the time difference is, my first message was posted at 6.25am your time, so the later ones were posted at some time late evening/early morning UK time - and I don’t even have a computer at home!

So anyway, I thought I’d best let you know that someone has managed to do this. If I find out it was someone here at work, I’ll kick their ass and then let you know that the problem is at my end and not someone hacking in.

I came to you for your help as this is the best Flash site I’ve seen - I don’t want to offend any of you and can only ask that you believe what I have to say.

Ollie.

P.s. if you want to kill a dog (Phil), apparently you make sure you use plain chocolate and not the milk variety - much more effective!