What's the most random thing you've learned recently?

For me, it is this: Long term storage | NFSA

I have no idea how I stumbled onto here, but I now know a lot more about how to store film than I did a few moments ago, which was absolutely nothing.

:brain:

1 Like

The arborvitae known as Thuja ā€˜Green Giantā€™ is now likely the most popular hedging tree in the US, and has a rather mysterious history.

This tree supposedly first appeard at a denmark nursery in 1967 with no prior back story, and is thought to be standishii x plicata, a cross between a japanese arborvitae and a western arborvitae. However this tree does not reproduce, therefore the billions of trees now sold around the world are all clones steming from that one denmark plant.

You have likely seen these in your neighborhood if you live in plant hardiness zones 5-8.

Fast forward to the (80s or 90s ?) One day a nurserymen noticed a different sport in his thuja nursery. (Sport being a differing or mutated clone). This tree was grown out, cloned and is now sold as the american pillar arborvitae. Itā€™s distinct difference is its narrow shape, while keeping most of the same characteristics of the normal green giant.

It seems to be widely accepted this tree is a standishii x plicata cross, but Iā€™ve never heard of anyone actually crossing those trees or ever reproducing a seed of similar type cross.

Also kind of funny is that, discovered in 1967ā€¦ This is arguably still a very young species. Nurseries used to market it as a 60ft tree, but people tend to shy away from the sale because thatā€™s quite a monster to plant in your yardā€¦ So now they are sold as a ā€œ30 ft treeā€ but truly no one knows its max height. There are definitely some 35+ footers near me in a development that didnā€™t exist until the early 2000s. Given the right conditions and time i imagine 60ft is quite possible

9yr old trees:

Recently the most random thing I learnt is speed reading. It can come in handy when going over terms and conditions, getting through a book quickly for class, or just checking more novels off your to-read list. All of which are very effective.

:shaved_ice:

1 Like

Last year i went in rapper 50 cents personal bounce house. It is a custom giant 50 cent and was stolen or purchased by his landscaper or worker from his home, which was also mike Tysonā€™s old house. When people jump in it it bounces in a way as if the 20ft tall 50cent is humping the pile of people inside.

Donā€™t tempt me to post proof

2 Likes

Proof or it didnā€™t happen :evil2:

Ok. Ill have to do some cropping first but for now i can tell you google tried to automatically add the bounce houses head to contacts list

I donā€™t believe it was stolen but rather made for a party or something and somehow ended up in this other persons hands after. The pic from the back of the head w the headband really looks like him, the front not so much. Im trying to find that pic

2 Likes

This is even more impressive than I imagined it to be haha.

1 Like

Well you havenā€™t seen his moves yet either :rofl:

1 Like

This was a good one!

2 Likes

I learned that Lamborghini makes farm tractors.

3 Likes

These do look nice!

I wonder if theyā€™re expensive.

Nah! How much could it possibly be?

1 Like

With my newfound bell peppers knowledge, it is time to take over the world!

2 Likes

Most types of apple trees need pollen from a different species to produce apple(seed). Therefore the offspring will be of mix A and B.

You cannot grow known species of apples from a seed and get the parent apple. The seeds for apple A or B do no exist past the one chance time they were bred/discovered.

When you see a field of apple trees of a known variety. They are all clones of a selected offspring grafted to another root stock.

2 Likes

Fossilized dung FTW!

2 Likes

I need to see that ancient Stink Beatle 3d printed and placed on senocularā€™s desk immediately

2 Likes

Ferruccio Lamborghini was making tractors before he started making sports cars. So you could say a tractor is the OG Lamborghini.