Which screen resolution is best?

Hello:
For quite some time now I 've noticed most flash sites are designed for the 1024x768 screen resolution. Now, I also noticed most clients (at least here in Puerto Rico) don’t even realize the monitor resolution can be changed. They’re stuck with the 800x600 (I say it’s the res for the ignorant). I mostly design my sites for 1024x768, looking to achieve the smaller and cooler look. But when the client open their sites they don’t see the site as it is supposed to… and no matter how many times you warn them about the res setting, 90% won’t change it… Should I get stuck with the 800 res? Should I keep up with the 1024? Should I throw away a better viewing for lack of knowledge?

All your comments will be welcome.

lol. Trust me when I say they’ll never understand screen resolution.

You have to consider that most ppl use 800*600 as it is the standard setting.

If you look up the stats, last I looked it was 60-70% have 800*600.

You could always make 2 sites, do a res check and direct them to the right one…

Or you could stick a res check in front, if they are using 800*600 give them a message with direction on how to change it before they enter the site.

^good idea. a popup would be handy too if those **** popup blockers weren’t so popular… :slight_smile:

If you look up the stats, last I looked it was 60-70% have 800*600.

Negative sir, 1024x768 all the way (check out the stats from http://reinvigorate.net )… well, maybe 800x600 in porto rico…

i’d say gear it toward the visitors’ and the client’s need and ability. ex: the elderly would probably be a safe bet at 800 while the younger more techno savy would be 1024. also the profession, obviously everyone that is a web designer is at least at 1024 (i hope). :tie:

I personally have a javascript that checks the res, and loads a page that refers to a different CSS file so everything fits on a lower res.

I would put 1024x768 as standard since I have also seen Mlk’s link already. If you think 800x600 is also necessary, put two options in your splash page.

Gah, if you’re lucky enough to have a monitor to support it. Granted, at home I have 1600x1200 and 12somethingx1024 but my laptop only supports 800x600 :frowning:

BTW, I always design for 800x600 unless im relatively sure that over 90 percent are higher (for instance in gaming sites).

Only 9% of the visitors to my sites have 800 x 600. The rest are 1024 x 768 or better.

9%, but one has to consider who visits.

As for the stats page I would question the validity of it given where it gets its stats from. (who is going to opt in but the net savy, and who are their users)

If Kirupa was to resgister there it would tell him that 98% of his users are 1024*768 or better. But then given the people that come here that wouldn’t be suprising.

Most OEM’s dont bother changing screen res, most people have know idea what screen res is. Yeah people who are computer savy, play games, or design know about it, but most dont.

Even if those stats where accurate, would you want to ignore 30% of your viewers right off the bat ? (given that it is more than likely higher than that)

If I were lazy, or there wasn’t enough money in it…
Just make it 750450 100%.
It will look nice and small on a 1024
768, it will look huge and kinda funny at 800*600.
But as long as it fits on their screen, if they are to dumb to change there res then stuff them :slight_smile:

Depends on your audience? I.e. do most of them set their monitors to 1024768 or 800600

Once, when I was designing a website most of my audience were using 800*600 and even smaller screen resolutions. Let me tell you that wasn’t fun :mu:

Here’s my theories on “out of date” screen resolutions…

Millions of web designers spend hours and hours providing completely different sites for different resolutions, browsers and such and write whole scripts to detect which resolution their visitor has, right?

The problem is, sooner or later, 800X600 will HAVE to become obsolete. BUT, if people keep making allowances for these people, then there’ll be no INSENTIVE for these people to change their resolution settings!

So, wouldn’t it be better if all web developers just ditched these losers and raised the standard to 1024X768!? Sounds mad and obviously it’s never gonna become a reality but it’s an interesting concept.

Here’s my theories on “out of date” screen resolutions…

Millions of web designers spend hours and hours providing completely different sites for different resolutions, browsers and such and write whole scripts to detect which resolution their visitor has, right?

The problem is, sooner or later, 800X600 will HAVE to become obsolete. BUT, if people keep making allowances for these people, then there’ll be no INSENTIVE for these people to change their resolution settings!

So, wouldn’t it be better if all web developers just ditched these losers and raised the standard to 1024X768!? Sounds mad and obviously it’s never gonna become a reality but it’s an interesting concept.

Interesting concept indeed :sure:

However when you’re designing a website you want to maximise your audience, rather than reducing it (just my opinion) :beam:

Yeah but by sacrificing some users, you could save a lot of time in developing sites in the future is everyone just pulled together and basically FORCED people into 1024X868! I know it sounds bad, but it might actually educate people about computers a bit more too.

In the long run, your visitors could go up!

Obviously, it’s a mad theory but I think it as least entertains!

Yeah but by sacrificing some users, you could save a lot of time in developing sites in the future is everyone just pulled together and basically FORCED people into 1024X868! I know it sounds bad, but it might actually educate people about computers a bit more too.

In the long run, your visitors could go up!

Obviously, it’s a mad theory but I think it as least entertains!

Yes, you also have a point :sigh:

By the way I never knew there was a screen resolution “1024X868” :smiley:

Problem with going larger is some people dont like it.

I like mine at 1280*960, it just feels like you have a much larger work space because everything is smaller. (but then I have 20/20 vision)

I had a friend, I changed his from 800600 to 1024768 and he hated it… Thought it made everything hard to read. I think most people 40+ would prefer 800*600 because of their eye sight.
And most people who buy websites for their companies, are in the older age bracket.

I have always thought it would be better to have 1 resolution, unfortunatly it still wont look the same because people have different size monitors.

What about us lot with TFT screens? My monitor has to be at 1280 x 1024 or it looks like it’s on drugs. Perhaps sites the size of postage stamps are the way forward o_O

<riot>
I still am liking the “1024x768 or nothing” idea. LETS START A REVOLUTION! FORGET OUR CLIENTS AND USERS!
</riot>

Yeah it would be funny.

[center]

Stand by while we test your system…[/center]

Sorry your monitor is not set to [color=blue]1024*768[/color]
Sorry your not using [color=blue]IE 6[/color]

If you would like to access our site,
[color=red]YOU[/color] must have your res set to [color=blue]1024*768[/color]
[color=red]YOU[/color] must have [color=blue]IE 6[/color]

Until you meet these requirments, get lost, we dont want you here !

If you are to ignorant to understand these requirements,
allow us to help you.

> www.google.com use it !