Who is visiting the internet

over 1 million sites were counted worldwide, and this is the latest from Sept. 2002…

over 1/2 of the visitors to a website still use 800x600 resolution… and are still using IE 5.x…:nerd:

63% are still using a W98 kernel (ME is included in this)…2% use Mac…:evil:

10% have JavaScript turned off (watch out all of you pop-up freaks)…

All of these stats should be taken into account when building a site…whether it is a personal site, or one for a client, designers need to keep in mind what is the function of the site, and who is going to visit it :bandit:

Do you agree?

Rev:elderly:

Roger that. :elderly:

Dex

Nice footer Deca! Looks good, but embed the text because its blurry to me!

Tell me how to do that, please. Does this procedure ensure others will see the font as intended, regardless of whether or not they house the font themselves?

Dex

I use 800x600, whats wrong with that? :wink: I just find it easier to read the text on my screen.

:pirate: Ar.

Oh, and Lister was SO much better then Rimmer, hate to say. :stuck_out_tongue:

ahem…did i just hear someone say “whats wrong with 800x600”?. everything is wrong with it. i think the minimum resolution should be 1024x768…and todays computers are actually being shipped with 1024x768 as the default… i use 1280x1024 but if i could id run 1600x1200 or have 2 monitorz at that res.

I run an 800x600 and can’t stand it, but my monitor can’t step up to the plate and run at a higher res, and I can’t afford a new one. So I am of course stuck… oh well.

*Originally posted by vts31 *
**ahem…did i just hear someone say “whats wrong with 800x600”?. everything is wrong with it. i think the minimum resolution should be 1024x768…and todays computers are actually being shipped with 1024x768 as the default… i use 1280x1024 but if i could id run 1600x1200 or have 2 monitorz at that res. **

Just seems to small for me. I cannot read the text, I cannot doing the incredibly painstaking pixelxpixel vector editing I am forced to, without zooming in 40 times (impatient.)

Makes no sense to -me- at least, to have to squint in order to read the text on my screen.

I run an 800x600 and can’t stand it, but my monitor can’t step up to the plate and run at a higher res, and I can’t afford a new one. So I am of course stuck… oh well.

Beat some sense into it. :stuck_out_tongue: Or go yard-saleing, seems to work for most computer junkies.

HAHA, I don’t know if I would trust a monitor from a yard sale. Seems a bit fishy to me why they would be tossing a perfectly good monitor.

I don’t mind 800x600 for regular use, but trying to use Photoshop and Flash in it drives me nuts. The screen area just isn’t big enough for everything.

Bring your computer (sans your monitor) and ask to plug the sucker in and see if it will run a larger screen size. :stuck_out_tongue: Can’t lose on that one, unless they don’t want you using electrivity (Aw, modern-day Amish people) then … Well, they wouldn’t have a monitor in the first place, so it’s full-proof. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is really my only disagreement with 800x600 is the Flash screen size. I -hate- Flash MX in the fact that, everytime I wish to see my whole movie, I must minimize the properties, then when I wish to, say, edit Text, I must bring it back up. And the action menus that covers my entire project? Bah. :-\

Why don’t you dock your panels as floating panels instead of panels that are stuck to the interface?

The only window I have “stuck” is the properties, whcih I can minimized and maxmize when I use it. The rest I dock as floating and can just hit the “x” button to close them and call them back up with keyboard shortcuts.

The screen size is still too small, but it is better than nothing.

The only 3 windows I have are the main tools (ex: text tool, arrow tools), properties, and actions. I don’t see much use for the others, since I don’t do any extremely complex things. Not as if I know how to undock them anyways, but I will pass it off as I don’t need it. :stuck_out_tongue: Keke.

And God forbid your computer was stuck in 640x480. I’d buy a wireless keyboard and sit across the room. =)

HAHAH. My art teacher had a mac with like a 24 inch monitor and crap…well it was like a tv I swear. But she had the settings so low that you could read her icons from the back of the room…literally.

It was nuts. Everything was so huge! Well, end of funny story…lol.

Heh. My friend (Michael Sklens I believe, but names aren’t important) had an All-in-Wonder video card plugged to his 52 or so inch TV in his room. It was ridiculous, watching him play Quake III on it. Still, he’d be not 5 inches from the screen with his face, like he couldn’t see what was going on. Pah-lease. :stuck_out_tongue:

HAHA, that would so rock. I would love to do flash/photoshop work on my own tv :beam:

Think of the screen size you could get out of that? 3200x2400. :stuck_out_tongue: Wireless keyboard/mouse and a beerhat, you’re set for a while on that thing. Only poor thing about it, is computer-to-television resolution has always been less the spectacular. I’d not sacrifice clarity for size.

Ehew… yeah me either. Quality over quantity right!?

I would just rather have a 1024x768 or higher monitor dammit!

Bestow corporate American buying powers and do what everyone else does… Neglect food for entertainment! =) Don’t eat for a few weeks, you’ll have your monitor.

HAHA! So true…so true.

Ok, I think we strayed way off topic here… so lets get back on topic and wait for other people to reply.

I do agree that when building a site you should take ino consideration what the majority of people viewing your page will be using.

Quick! Quick!

Dan said, “Embed your font!”

… to which I asked, “How?”

Any generous takers? (I’m diggin’ on Flash 4 right now … on my “other” computer.)

:hat: Much obliged, Jeff