Who's going to get Flash MX?

Hi eyezberg…all macromedia is saying at the moment is that dreamweaver mx / fireworks mx / coldfusion mx/ and the new mx server applications will be released “later in the year”. I am not aware of any dates yet. There is a lot of beta testing of these products happening, so hopefully we wont have to wait too long! I am sure for publicity and marketing reasons, that they will stagger the releases a few months apart.

As far as people downloading the new plugin is concerned, I personally think it will happen pretty quickly. You can still nominate to publish files in flash 4 or 5 format and you will be prompted if there are any incompatabilities with your code. But new enhancements in the publishing of flash MX.swf files and the new flash player actually compress the files more and make them faster to load and play smoother.

The general public are pretty savy now when it comes to technology. The new flash player is only a small download and with intelligent programming and presentation of links to the download itself, we as designers and developers can assist in the uptake of it.

Apparently macromedia say that MX doesn’t stand for anything. I say they need new marketing people…lol.

ciao. (I mean cya mate!..)

Anche ciao va bene per me…
And i just got the trial version (don’t ask me where from…); it really looks good, but there are tons of new scripts available, waow, this will take some time and effort to on (install) {update(this.knowledge)}! Guess I’ll order the boxed version so as to at least have the manuals…
Thanks for the fast answer…are you Down Under, or just a nick?

I am down under - in sunny Queensland (beautiful one day, perfect the next)!

I am sure you will enjoy the trial now that you have it. If you buy and register the full product - you apprently can get some bonus stuff (developers kit and templates and extra tutorial stuff etc, etc)…God, I sound like a macromedia salesman…DOH!..
Flash Mx is one hot program though. Hope we see some of your creations on the net soon.

I can’t wait to write a lot of tutorials for Flash MX. I’ve postponed many of my Flash 5 tutorials for the release of Flash MX so I don’t have to make the content cross-version compatible (a time-consuming process).

ME!

Nick the Freshman

So if I get what you mean, Aussie, I must NOT buy a book about Actionscript right now ?

pom 0]

Exactement, pomme!
I just got (glad it was a gift!) Phillip Kermans excellent Action Script book, send a mail to the author and had a look at his site, and he’s already publishing Sams Teach yourself Flash MX in 24 hrs, and the update for my book is being written too!
So just wait a frame, in a month or so new books should start to hit the shelves!

That FMX is so hard cool. It reminds me a bit Dreamweaver ( the new attributes - and components panel)
I can’t wait to get it…
I love it. Especially that I can make an mc a mask and the components. A few weeks ago I wondered how to make a scrollbar.
Flash MX -> components -> scrollbar
vóila!
i can’t wait til I get that thing…

So much for the drag mask tutorial…
pom 0]

LOL pom, don’t worry, I’m sure enough of the information will stay the same, so people can actually use the Flash 5 tutorial for MX.

There will be a lot of people who simply cannot afford the MX version… our tutorials and hard work will not be for naught.

For me, I’m interested in Flash MX’s new accessibility features. It’ll make it easier to write Flash apps for people with disabilities by exposing Flash elements to screen readers, mouse/keyboard alternatives and so on.

I also am interested in its new streaming playback features–it looks like it can be the new (near-) universal media playback plug-in.

Development-wise, I think its new object/event model looks interesting, and if nothing else, the enhancements in working with the timeline would save lots of time and work. Maybe I won’t need Ctrl+Z so much anymore.

Nobody seems to be talking about Adobe Livemotion 2 anymore… Strange.

pom 0]

So basically your saying that if we download the new player we won’t be able to view flash5 sites at all? If that’s the case, that’s pretty stupid. I mean we can view Flash 3,4 sites. Hopefully I’m wrong and replies will be posted on my ignorance…please…amaze me with my stupidity.
-dan

Nope, that’s incorrect… I have the MX viewer on one machine already, and it has no problem viewing flash 3 4 and 5 movies.

Hey Pom,
I never really got big onto LiveMotion 2. Unlike Macromedia who often sends me e-mails informing me of updates and such, Adobe never did that. I guess they don’t want people knowing about their product.

Cheers!
Kirupa

Photoshop still rocks all other programs of it’s kind though. :slight_smile: