Windows 2000 Pro Logon Problems

Hey guys :slight_smile:

I’m at my uncle’s house, and he’s having some problems using Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP. The computer that has Windows 2000 Professional on it can access the XP computer without any problem, but the XP computer can’t access the Windows 2000 computer. It gives a message screen with user and password fields.

There are three users on the 2000 Pro computer: Administrator, ASPNet and Guest. The only one used is the administrator, and it has no password. So I figured I would enter user name “Administrator” and password none as login for the 2000 Pro computer while trying to access it via LAN, but it didn’t work.

I’ve never used Win2000 Pro before, so can anyone help me where to change the settings so the XP computer can access the Win2000 Pro computer without having to type in passwords or selecting users or whatever. Passwords aren’t cared about, neither are users.

I get this problem with my home network… it sucks.

I think it’s probably something to do with network config… on my machine, it gives an error if you try to use any user/password combination, even valid ones :-\

Same here. I’m sure the combination Administrator / none is corrrect, but no go :frowning:

Everytime I goto a LAN there’s always people with Win200 that can’t allow others to access their computer because of this problem! Annoying!
I have solved it once, but I forgot how :frowning:
(hmmmm… exactly how much did that line help… ?)

Have you tried setting up a new useraccount with a new password and loging in with that?

Hmm… By the way, when does the error appear? Are you trying to access a shared folder or just the computer in My Networkplaces ?

can you make a new user in the both with the same name and the same password… i think it’ll work… i’d the same problem but in 2 XP… :h:

hope it helps

*Originally posted by Kalliban *
**Have you tried setting up a new useraccount with a new password and loging in with that? **

Yeah, I’ve tried that. Still didn’t work.

*Originally posted by Kalliban *
**Hmm… By the way, when does the error appear? Are you trying to access a shared folder or just the computer in My Networkplaces ? **

It appears when I try to access the computer.

Thanks for trying guys, I really appreciate it =)

If still not late, this must be your problem Voets:

1. Make sure the sharing is enabled in W2K machine, check protocols, folder sharings and etc.
  2. Try logging in with Administrator@[CompName] as username (no password as you say).
  3. If that doesn’t help, go to Run and type: “\W2KCompName\C$”. That must work definitely…

However, by default, Windows XP will not permit a network user to access the XP machine using an account set up without a password!

same thing happens with win98 and XP

i remeber something now… in my company there are 80 PC and some of these using XP others 2000 i want to tell you onePC whicj use XP can see in the network … others can’t i don’t know why :h: … i think it’s familiar problem between 2000 & XP :frowning:

make sure sharing is enabled across the boards, and that the actual folder has sharing enabled on it-

on the windows 2000 computer setup an account with the appropriate name and password.

i would not suggest just enabling the guest account as that leaves you wide for a few things.

Then when the XP computer tries to access the 2000 just enter the information.

should solve the problem- it does it even between xp and xp sometimes…just depends on how the initial config for sharing was setup.

I used to have this problem with my housemates at uni - but I’ve just upgraded my OS to XP (yeah I know :() and I can connect to my dad’s PC (w2k) with no problems at all. Strange.

Yeah. I’ll guess I’ll leave it the way it is …