Yes I need to bitch

Yeah Upu, sorry about the retard thing. I feel your pain on that, its just that I have become desensitized to it. My uncle is mentally handicapped. He was born in the 1960s and my grandparents don’t know what is wrong with him, and they never really got anything checked out. So he basically has the mentality of an infant. He has to be fed, changed, and he wets himself. He has no teeth and has sores on his face from repeatedly beating his chin with his fist, he can’t walk or talk either. Since I have grown up with him always being there, I feel for him. I truly understand where you are coming from when you say that. However, where I come from, my highschool, everyone said that word, and it made me mad, but over the years I have become desensitized and it slipped. I am sure that when I was typing I meant something else, but I get into these zones where nothing phases me. I apologize and did not mean to offend anyone.

sorry live! twas the way I wrote it. I’m gonna try one of these boards www.phpbb.com/index.php or the ikon board.
I can get hosting for around $45 a year so it’s probably better to get with that host rather than have the popups.
Like you said they’ll get annoying after a while :slight_smile:

Hey Jubba… I must really be losing it… check out the Flash 5 forum a post called “How do you build a site like this”.

Also… for everyone who is a regular, go to the test forum and check out my thread on “Rules for posting at Kirupa”. I’d like feedback, and any other good rules to put in the post. I may not add your suggestion, but at least I’ll be discussing the idea there for the next couple of days. Then I’ll be replacing our current sticky posts in each of the forums with a single post that covers all of our desires for people posting here.

Ok… something’s been bubbling up and I’m about to explode:

There really is a lot of beyond n00bish questions such as that “How do you” thread. There’s also a lot of flooding of threads, inappropriately placed threads (ie: a site check in the random forum when there’s a specific forum to place such things). It’s really taxing to sort through these threads to find the meat and potatoes threads. I was thinking that maybe we should begin a “Newbies” section of the board - but that would probably be fruitless, since people are probably going to still post their “Can anyone give me the serial number” posts in the Actionscript forum. What the deal yo?

End rant.

alot of you probably wont agree with me but I also think there should be a newbie section. I can see what everyone means about stupid questions, I can see how it annoys some of you. In my opinion I think some people just don’t know really what they’re asking about in the first place cause they’re so new to flash and haven’t really gone through the help section that comes with the disk.
Ofcourse that’s really down to there lack of trying to learn and others shouldn’t have to spend there time sometimes trying to explain the impossible!
If there was a newbie section anyone posting about things that they ovbiously haven’t looked into in the first place, then maybe these people could be told to go to the newb section and post there.
Even a simple please see the rules message, might do the trick.

I’m working on tutorials for just such situations. I’d appreciate any feedback anyone has on what I’ve done so far. A beta version of “Introduction to Flash 101” has been posted on my web site. Go check it out. :slight_smile:

Just to clarify - It’s OK to ask newbie questions and it’s ok to not know some really basic things about flash and it’s OK to ask these questions here. But flooding the forum with the SAME question or multiple postings, and lastly, newbs who don’t want to try and just want us to do the work for them - that’s just annoying!

I may be a ‘n00b’ to flash, however…

Everyone starts somewhere, and I am no way a n00b to webdesign, I do proffesional designs for bands in my area and get payed for it too, its not really a business, but its a way to support me through college, and by learning flash i hope it will enhance my webdesign from being graphics and text.

I am one of the ones who is more than willing to learn, and I also have a lot to give on the front of webdesign that doesnt involve flash :smiley:

One way we found of getting round the newbs posting their questions in every forum was to put posting restrictions on every other forums. So only people over a certain number of posts could post in the restricted forums, and put the newbie forums up the top for all the one time posters to get their questions answered.

And i do agree with you about people who think we’ll do all the work for them are very annoying, at a HTML forum i seemed to be churning out more newbie sites that i was my own!

Peace :slight_smile:

Those are some excellent suggestions pezdemon! But what about advanced scripters who are new to the site but are no stranger to Flash? Maybe we could put the Newbie up above the other forums, so they see that first and might be more inclined to post there. The thing is this: I think that a lot of these newbies are not just new to flash, they’re new to the internet. They have no grasp of etiquette thus they don’t see anything wrong with posting their question in more than one thread. They think it will bring more attention to their question, and probably don’t think they’re annoying anyone.

I dunno, I think newbies should be able to ask whatever type of pathetic newbie question they want, although I agree that when people ask the same question multiple times.

Besides, we already have a newbie thread, really. There’s Flash 5 for new(er)bies and Flash 5: Action Script for the experts.

What really pisses me off is when people post the same thing in multiple forums. N’est pas, Phil?

Upu, I was reading through the tutorial on your site. Dam, you have really put in a lot of time for that. Its excellent. And I also like the rules post that you put in the test forum.

hey at least LA came up with a name for any new forum “pathetic newbie question” lol sounds like it could work, hmmm maybe not eh! :slight_smile:

After just checking the “Site Of The Week” section I’ve concluded something.

Y’know what REALLY pisses me off? When people make a post then, about 10 minutes later, follow that post up with a “What, you people think you’re too cool to reply?” whine. God. Hell, I checked guy’s 808 site thingy before hand and, at the time, it was a bloody broken link!

… Though, on the other hand, maybe I’m just pissy today. Who knows.

Just pissy today Live?! lol Yeah i understand what you mean, but if those people want to think that then let them. If they are going to be impatient and short then I don’t think they are the type of person that “we” want to hang around this board.

Ren, you’re probably right about them being new, but i think they’re to forums, hell, when I first went on some forums I spammed so much it wasnt even funny, but you learn, and I’m a moderator of the final fantasy forums over on mgon (www.mgon.com) so, it is a tough learning process, especially when you have lots of experienced people around. Unless you drew up a short code of conduct (hell, i cant be bothered reading long ones!) and just made them read it before being sent to the forums. Even if just a few people read it the number of idiots could be cut down :smiley:

impatience is my biggest gripe. We however, also need to be patient with them… The fact is, we will ALWAYS get people in here who have limited understanding of how to “subject” their posts. I think that my post of “Rules: please read before posting” is as good as we’re going to get, and as good as Kirupa is going to let us get away with. So far I havent’ talked to him in three days, so I don’t even know if he’s read this thread… but I have the feeling that most of the above ideas, though fun to talk about here, are unlikely to be used. The idea is to attract people, not send them crying to their mommies. :wink:

Give me feedback in that thread (It’s in the test forum). Once I have a good comprehensive set of rules, I’ll petition Kirupa to have that one single post “sticky tacked” to the top of each forum. That, in addition to my tutorials for newbies, I hope, will solve most of our problems. If someone asks something really basic, I’m hoping that you all will direct them to my site for lessons. Then at least they will have the basic core knowledge which will allow them to know what they should ask.

PS
Koodos to a couple of people out there… you know who you are, who have been writing me emails pointing out posts with illegal software links. We’ve been doing our best to delete them where we find them… and will just continue to do that. There is little more that can be done in most cases.
Some of you have writen me expressing concern that you might be looked upon as rats, or internet police for your actions. A) I’ll never say who has and who has not pointed out posts to me… so your rep is not in danger, but more importantly B) You’re not being a rat, you’re protecting Kirupa. There is no reason why this site should be shut down for something as stupid as piracy promotion.

Anyway… we appreciate your vigilance and efforts. Keep up the good work.

Hey everyone,
I might as well throw in my penny too. First I was wondering how long it was going to take phor my name to come up in this thread, then live phuphilled the prophecy! Doh! :lol:

First of all, I would have to say that I agree mostly with Dave, although Pez had a really good suggestion about restrictions that made me start thinking about it. Not being able to post in certain grown up sections until…Bad idea. And I’ll be frank here, then phil again, but thats what the Mods job is. And they know it, hence Dave, not wanting to set anyone up for disappointment, has stated most if not all these suggestions will not be implemented.

And as I read through these posts for the last day or two the same thing kept coming to me. All these people need to be welcomed, and remember, they can read this post too. The times I have posted the same message in different boards there was a purpose. To spam the hell out of Kirupa and see if I could get away with it. Doh! :smiley: The purpose was that there are some people that do not leave their areas and I needed to reach them and I feel it was appropriatte. Its not like this board is like FlashKit where theres a zillion posts. When Neurons post went unanswered, I was unaware it had been posted elsewhere, but felt the need to remove myself from my selfishness and see if I could encourage him in some way, and help phill his need, as a proud member of Kirupa. (Right hand outstrectched over my heart, and misty eyed :x ) I didn’t want him to go away, and I know thats not anyone elses purpose either, but if you stand back and read this thread it would be easy for a newcomer that realizes he has made mistakes with ettiquette to feel unwelcome. Remember, there ARE mods, and it is their job to patrol while trolling the boards. Remember, we can always ignore posts as well. I have done a fairly good job of that for the last two months. Doh! Leaving a message on three boards is hardly spamming. And remember he posted with an intention of reply and noone knows what that is they are looking for when they post. They might have had a bunch of people that have little time or regard to offend tell them it is a great site when it sucks wafers and is an eyesore. And they might be looking for that ‘it really sucks constructive criticism’. And please remember everybody that there are slow learners out there, I didn’t want to be the one who made this point as it only shines the light on me, but some people have the best intentions but learn very slowly. Like me, but thats becuz part of my cerebrum was removed by a bullet when I was 13. You can see the scar in my picture. But excercise patience at all times with them and I guess if you can’t then just don’t respond, maybe someone else can or will. Or vice versa.

Also remember the tale of the Tortoise and the Hair. The Tortoise kept plugging while, well, we all know the story, but the moral of it is this; Many of these irritants as I might paraphrase some parts of this thread, will be the ones helping you out with problems on your site tomorrow, or they will answer the questions of a lesser you so you don’t have to. Good with the bad or else there is no good to be got. Say that 3 times right now really fast! It’s Phun! :lol: The real troublemakers will make themselves apparent. They always stick out. But with all these others we should make sure they always pheel welcome, and always want to return. Because this is NOT “our” board, it is our board.

pj
:stuck_out_tongue:
BTW-just a warning-I am going to be spamming the boards with a message in the next day or two. There will be 3 posts, placed in 3 arenas, but there is a purpose, you see, I am phinally ready to publish (soon) and need to find a great, cheap, ASP/PHP server that has HUGE site allowance limits, unlimited bandwith usage and FTP’s, Full Stats, and full control panel. The werks, I want it all. And I only want to spend 7-10 bucks a month. And in order to find e pluribus unim (out of many, one) I must have many replies. Just a warning so don’t rag on me when you see em ok?
Doh! :stuck_out_tongue:
tough crowd I tell ya!

I think I pay 15 bucks a month for exactly what you’re looking for… so if you don’t find anything cheaper get in touch with me.

I can most definetley see everyones point on this one, however I’m gonna have to agree just a tad more with phil.
Go easy on me :wink: hell I still class myself as a newb…in my experience I think I asked correctly and I was patient in waiting for replys and bingo a lot of very decent people have helped me accomplish a huge amount in a very short time.
I thank them for that :slight_smile:
Also I think when upu says that we should all point people out to his tut, yep I agree! people do need to gather some basic principals in flash before they start asking every question under the sun.
I fear it’ll remain the same though.
but there’s no excuse for “What, you people think you’re too cool to reply?”

Lobstars-
I agree with you. After skimming this thread through and reading your post I would agree. If it wasn’t for the super-duper kindness of people like Dave, Eyezberg, Pom, Kirupa, Thoriphes, Suprabreener and a few others I cant think of putting up with my most foundational basic & stupid questions, I probably wouldn’t have stuck around here. And that is what this board is all about isn’t it? Me? :lol: I threw that in for Live, he likes it and quotes me when I say such things. I am kind of slow and a beginner, I mean look at my mug! But beginners need a place too, and they need to ask those who aren’t, so the grey area needs to be allowed for the board to flourish, so that we can all be, all that we can be, Anyways, off to bed. Nite all.

pj
:stuck_out_tongue: