You know, just some skills you should have for web development

The web developer roadmap is another good one if you like feeling overwhelmed.

For beginners this may offer similar, but with more context.

However I think for beginners any of the above links may seem overwhelming and potentially discouraging.

1 Like

This is very useful. Here’s one more article I got on Google for beginners - intermediate level to be clear on what to learn.

I have to refute that last article mate…

• The info graphic has Java, PHP, Ruby, C#, Swift… none of which are necessary (except Swift for native apps).

• JS… you can build very nice, interactive, fast, responsive web pages with no JS. Astro the latest static site generator from the Snowpack guys, which will build static sites from React, Vue, and Svelte components, by default builds pages with no Javascript. You opt in for what you need. Very handy… JS is almost essential but not quite…

• Typescript… > 10% of dev jobs listed require TS . Its a very handy tool for large projects. Not essential yet…

• Frameworks… JQuery, React ect were built compensate for JS not being able easily do certain things. JS has caught up to most of it. How many new projects use JQuery? There’s even a stage 1 proposal for observables. If it goes through RXJS will be obsolete…

• CSS pre-processors… sure they speed up writing your CSS. Don’t start trying to learn them before learning actual CSS. Not really essential…

HTML and CSS are essential but not all of it… for example :

• You probably don’t need to learn floats and clear now that we have flexbox and grid. Even IE can support grid (with its own syntax).

• Animations and transitions are really nice but some sites (like e commerce) generally have none.

• Custom-elements and <template> are super useful but not really widely used.

• Accessibility is now essential to know.

If your starting out, just learn basic HTML, CSS and Responsive Layouts. Then go build and replicate 10 different sites (mix it up, e commerce, blog, portfolio ect) and get an understanding of page layouts, styling, links, forms ect.

Then you can work out what kind of dev job you want to go for e.g PHP based (Wordpress), Static sites/ generators, Web Apps Native Apps, Platforms like React, Shopify ect.

Then go and focus on whatever you need for that specific job and learn the rest on the job or in your spare time.

For example:

• Basic web sites - HTML, CSS, image editing, Accessibility, web hosting/ servers or cloud services ect…

• PHP Frameworks- basic PHP, Apache servers, SQL, basic JS ect…

• Static site generators- CSS pre processors, markup, bundlers, basic JS, web-components, API’s ect…

• Web Apps- Service workers, A2HS, manifest, indexedDB, advanced JS ect…

• Native Apps- Swift/ Kotlin, Xcode, React Native, NativeScript , Flutter, Dart (take your pick) ect…

• Frameworks- Angular, React, Vue, Svelte, Node JS, Deno, GraphQL, API’s, Firebase ect…

You don’t need to learn it all… Just pick the best learning path for what you want to do or what job you want…

BTW. A lot of the things I mentioned as “non essential” are super useful, worth learning and can make your life a lot easier.

You can also do so much with just HTML and CSS and if you haven’t nailed it you wont’ be an effective front end dev.

@steve.mills - I think you just engaged with a spammer :partying_face:

Yep, I should go to bed :laughing: