Aol

hey has the AOL 8.0 change affected your site? If you dont know what i am talking about then here is the rundown. AOL has now switched to using Netscape as the primary browser or something, this is a potentail prob. cause netscape does not read everything right.

whats your opinion?

-mike:cyclops:

*Originally posted by mdipi.com *
this is a potentail prob. cause netscape does not read everything right.

Not important, but Netscape was the first to use JavaScript, and then Microsoft came in. Until they started giving away thier browser for free, very few people actually used Internet Explorer… So, in reality, IE doesn’t read everything right… =)

Also, if you are trying to make a site for the general populus, Netscape has always been important, not just because AOL is now using the Mozilla engine…

Rev:elderly:

rev, i got mozilla, and i had all types of probs, even after i installed flash it still didnt work. so i feel that netscape is no good. also at school netscape sucks.

You missed my point…

Netscape was here first, then IE corrupted the standards…

The only reason “Netscape sux” is because designers are lazy and don’t code for both browsers…

Bad JavaScript is just like bad Flash sites, they cause people to generalize and say “that sux.”

Every site which is done for publication (not necessarily personal sites), should be coded for both IE, and Netscape. It has been this way from the beginning of the web, and will be for quite a while.

Your clients won’t come to you and say “produce me a site that only certain people will be able to see.” Just as you can’t produce only for broadband (unless it is a very specialized clientele), you can’t produce only for IE…

This is my opinion, but I feel it is the way of the real world…

Granted… my site currently was made just for IE because I was too lazy, I still think Netscape sucks.

Netscape actually doesn’t read anything right. Internet Explorer supports much more Javascript actions than Netscape, it isn’t sloppy coding, it is just because IE can read more than NS.

Granted both browsers do read a lot of Javascript, they both just read it differently. Coding in IE is so much easier than in NS, and to make it compatible for both, you usually have to have 2 completely different functions, and tie them in with if statements to find out which browser is running and to find out what function to run.

I can’t stand this. I would much rather code for IE because it knows more functions that make things easier.

I am a lazy programmer, but I am self taught and haven’t been doing it but a year, so my knowledge is limited.

If I have to code to work with Netscape, I am fully willing.

So anywho, my OPINIONS aside (I am not going to argue further, I think what I think on the browser, you think what you think, I am happy either way).

I am going to release a new version of my site. And this new version will be compatible in both NS and IE as all previous version of my sites were. Since my current site was a personal experiment, I didn’t feel like going further to make it NS compatible.

In effect, it does effect me right now, but when I release my new site (hopefully January as planned) it won’t be an issue to me at all.

*Originally posted by reverendflash *
** Your clients won’t come to you and say “produce me a site that only certain people will be able to see.” Just as you can’t produce only for broadband (unless it is a very specialized clientele), you can’t produce only for IE…

This is my opinion, but I feel it is the way of the real world…

Rev:elderly: **

i agree, but why did AOL switch? Everyone is against Microsoft :stuck_out_tongue: why wont they leave M$ alone…they only “borrow” the code

AOL Switched because of the Time Warner merge I think… not 100% on that.

rev. good point. but i what lost said i think is more true. anyway, i hope to learn the basics of Javascript by January lol, i am SO busy.

Who bought NS? AOL-Time Warner or MS? AOL right? so then that would make sense…

<i>“Netscape actually doesn’t read anything right. Internet Explorer supports much more Javascript actions than Netscape, it isn’t sloppy coding, it is just because IE can read more than NS.”</i>

It doesn’t matter which browser a person likes, it is a personal opinion, I am just saying that the statement that “Netscape doesn’t read anything right” is the same as saying that any other language than English sucks since it is most popular here, and I don’t like to speak in French, they have too much punctuation…

Netscape was here when the web was formed, IE came in and took over because they bundled it with new computers…Not because people liked it better…

Back to your original thread. You asked if I was going to change the way I develop web sites… My answer therefore is no, because, as a professional web developer, I have always paid attention to AOL, Netscape, dial-up, and older computers.

Every other language other than english does suck.

And Netscape sucks.

And you suck.

HAHAHA, I am just playin Rev… don’t be mad at me. I don’t have a problem with coding in NS if I have to, but if I don’t have to, then the more power to it.

NS was here first, and each browser does have its own ups and downs in both usability and page translation.

Just like any other similar programs.

AOL using Netscape will effect many people, but if you site is done the way it should be, it shouldn’t be too much of an effect on you.

I voted yes, because at this moment, it does effect my site, so I am currently building my new version.

So as of January (hopefully) my answer is No, but for now, I am sticking to yes.

Didn’t I just say all this? Why did I repeat myself? I am so foolish sometimes.

No anger from me… :stuck_out_tongue:

For some reason I feel the need to attack generalized statements which are actually opinions, stated as fact…

Especially when speaking of Netscape… For all intents and purposes, if it weren’t for netscape we wouldn’t have the “web” as we know it (rollovers were invented by Netscape)…

Those of us who learned to hand code HTML for Netscape 2.0 had to learn a whole new standard when MS started giving away IE (illegally I might add)…

Peace, love and gravy for all… :stuck_out_tongue:

For all intents and purposes, if it weren’t for netscape we wouldn’t have the “web” as we know it

Actualy we wouldn’t have the “web” as we know it without Tim Berners Lee… the guy who created the world wide web =)

true, true… and Sun Microsystems…

:bandit:

true, true.

And Macromedia…haha.

This is starting to sound like an Academy Awards acceptance speech…

:stuck_out_tongue:

“I’d like to thank all of those people who I can’t think of right now, you know who you are…”

::with tears in eyes, and Oscar in hand, waves at crowd and leaves::

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA…

true, true…

And I would like to thank you for making me laugh.

Back on subject…

this isn’t an IE or NS debate thread…

this is a does this situation effect you thread.

You are a no rev, and I am a future no

What about anyone else here?

But you guys… didn’t Gore create the internet? He said so himself! :stuck_out_tongue:

-brad-:elderly:

LMAO… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d forgotten he invented the web… :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for setting that right…

Nope, it was Tim Berners-Lee. The first beta form of the web was called Enquire; it was named after an old Victorian book called “Enquire Within upon Everything”, which contained advice ranging from how to remove stains to tips on investing money.

I did my multidisciplinary project on it for my senior year :stuck_out_tongue: