Basics Of Actionscript

Hello everyone

This is my first thread here in kirupa. I have a very simple and basic question to ask. I am a designer, plainly a designer. I have no knowledge of scripting or programming before. How can I make the full use of actionscript? where do I start? I know it is just a matter of starting somewhere, but how can I make a portion of my mind, to work out the logic of all the syntax and lines of codes? How shall it all begin?
That is all for now, will come back again later…

Adios
magikkal=)

hey

probably best to dive straight in with a tutorial, there’s plenty of them around. This time last week I believed the problem i was faced with was insurmountable. I’m now doing stuff with actionscript 7 days later that I barely even knew was possible. just open your mind and stay really logical, that’s how the language is best described - logical.

Hey magikkal,
I agree with entropy. Just start doing a few tutorials and understand the basics behind it. I first started out learning AS by playing with the tellTarget function. Then I went on to learning how to use if/else statements and then variables (counters, etc.). The biggest help was reading the posts on the AS forums and from Colin Moock’s book, ActionScript: The Definitive Guide.

Once you understand the basics behind ActionScript, you can use the AS reference provided with Flash MX or Flash 5 and add on to your knowledge. After a few weeks, you’ll begin to look at problems logically and try to figure out a way to solve them in Flash.

Cheers!
Kirupa :pirate:

Dear Entropy and Kirupa

Thanks a lot man for your answer to the thread. What I need to do now is to actually put all my mind towards it. I did a couple of basic stuff e.g variables and arrays. I am still figuring out on how to use them logically. I will let you guys know, once I’ve reached the I-Know-How-To-Use-Actionscript Level.
I will encouter lots of obstacles along the way.The good thing is I know now where to find them solutions, Thanks for the information guys.

Bless You both

Magikkal

your welcome :slight_smile: