Bill Cosby's Remarks About the African American Youth

DDD my comment on the “N” word had nothing to do with anything you said. That was my .02 cents.

About Magic J. your wrong. To folks with your stance its never enough. You have the stance of the idealist and the divide between the idealist and the practitioner is typically huge. Its easy for you to sit there and say hey he has money he should be building community centers and things of that nature but the reality of the situation is that what hes doing is good. Business are there to make money. And thats good and he could easily invest in higher income areas and make more money but the fact is that he is investing in what are black listed(pun intended) as “high risk” areas where other companys will not build anything substantial that would requre much of an investment. In other words he is investing in the community. Come on who builds movie threaters in the hood? NOONE but Magic Johnsons company. Thats a good thing. The bigger picture is that his company shows that these invesments in the areas are sound and it will in the future help other busnesses to invest in these areas that need it. Their business model works because it just so happens that his brand name works typically in lower mid to low income areas(predominantly black) where his name recognition is high. I know this because I went to a meeting his company had last year at my job when they were palnning on developing in this state.

Ok but the topic is Bill Cosby’s remarks. And how does opening a theatre tie in there. His remarks spoke of educating the youth and parents being accountable. Not sure how Magic Johnsons Starbucks and Movie theatres play here.

Its easy for me to sit here and say what I say because I live these words. I try to get guys like Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Brian Shaw, Mark Curry and other guys who are from this area to realize the potential influence they have on the kids coming up if they just come back around and show a little love to the neighborhood that helped forge who they are. Coming back and opening a waffle house and coming in and signing autographs once in a blue moon will not do it. I volunteer alot to do things with kids and teens, I help run midnight league basketball. I have nowhere near achieved the level of success these guys have reached but I still try to come around and show love, because to some of the kids/teens just for the simple fact I made it as far as I did with basketball and the business world I am looked up to. So I embrace that responsibility. This is what Bill Cosby both talked about and left out. He did not say if he was part of the solution or part of the problem. Just because he moved his kids to the hills does nto solve anything. So no my ideals are not skewed in anyway. I am trying to close the gap between the idealist and practitioner with regards to this topic. Magic Johnsons actions are in no way (at least in the forseeable future) going to help the “hood”. But they will line his pockets. From a person who is living it I cant stress to you how much it would mean to these kids if Gary Payton held a mini camp for the youths. Or if J Kidd endorsed a reading program. It would cost them no money to do this, yet they will make no either. So guess what they do not do it. I have been in touch with Sponsor and event coordinators who have tried to get the likes of Michael Jordans and Magic Johnsons to just sponsor events or endorse events and its like pulling teeth. These guys dont want to do nothin unless it benefits them. It is this attitude that aides in the problems we have now. And good ol’ Bill did not mention that at all.

So dont confuse my words I believe in hard work and I never accepted a hand out. But it will get increasingly hard if we continue to look for answers from outside sources. Alot of the answers are right in front of us. So once again I agree with you to an extent.

I included a responce about Magic based on what YOU said.

Magic Johnsons actions are in no way (at least in the forseeable future) going to help the “hood”. But they will line his pockets.

^ wow. You missed everything I said. I proved how his actions help the “Hood” in the present and future.

This is what Bill Cosby both talked about and left out. He did not say if he was part of the solution or part of the problem. Just because he moved his kids to the hills does nto solve anything.

^ Wrong. Because he was able get out it means alot. In the end EACH individual is responsible for themselves and their family maybe even. So if he got his self out of it then he done his part. Hes not part of the problem but hes one tally on the side of someone living up to their responsibilty as a citizen of this nation. Not only that but his progeny is out of the cycle of poverty so yes I say that your wrong each person living up to their part/responsibilty is the first step. And its the most realistic step there is. Its the basest level of responsibity. How about trying that before we all try to be Mother Teresa out there saving everyone. Not only that but how can you in any way, down, or clown a man who lived up to his civic responsibility.

Like I said I do believe in hard work and earning your own. But as a social class much more could be gained by giving back and or at least opening doors for others. Mother Teresa? Not hardly. What I speak of is normal. Individulas helping individuals. Just in this case the individuals share a history. No matter how you slice it. Kids are going to look up to you when you are successful and a icon. While I do agree this is not something most ask for but it is given and it has to be recognized for if you dont and go on record speak ing about the ghetto and its problems, to me you are a hipocrit. But that is a personal view.

Let me give you a prime example of how my way is a little more beneficial. My basketball abilities got me an education, trophies and awards, women and some over seas pro play. Now I had a level head enough to line up my ducks now I am relatively successful and secure with money. I dont never have to go back to the old neighborhood if I dont want to but I do. I volunteer and personally have taken 2 rising young athletes under my wing and teach them and mentor them. 1 of which is headed to USC on a scholarship and one is starting in HighSchool on the varsity team as a freshman and has a promising future. I did not give them anything that was not there already. I helped them hone their skill and fcous on the future and the correct path. As a result one is on his way out of the ghetto and the other has the right outlook and going somewhere.

So lets look at what this has done. 1. I got myself and my family out of the ghetto…Yay for me and my family. 2. I went back and shared my secret to success with others a a result there are 2 more kids on their way following (kinda) in my footsteps. 3. That leaves a likely chance their families will not be there in the ghetto also. 4. It taught them compassion and what teamwork is so there is a likely chance they will go back and do something similar, maybe this time touch 4 kids were I only touched 2. And so on. Now lets say if I just opened a barber shop or a movie place. I would not have been able to touch those kids, but they would have been able to go spend their money in the hood. Yes they could have still made it, but I upped their chances as well as hope for success. So you see this way is better choice for impacting and correcting the issues Bill was talking about. And it does not take many to do what I do. Just a handful can make a difference. I hate to sound like an after school special. But I am witnessing it first hand. So I know it works. You are speculating since you have yet to personally open a Movie Theatre (or maybe you did I could be talking to MJ himself).

Anyway this dead horse has been beaten. I think if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. And frankly I was offended by Bill’s statements kinda being that he speaks like he is there yet is detached as ever. Maybe he can solve the problems of parking in Beverly Hills rather than worry about the blacks and the ghetto he does not recognize.

DDD, I know we have been over AA before, I am just curious, why do you think that you could not have gotten into Berkley’s graduate school without AA?

Think about how many comedians and enterrtainers he may have inspired through his work. Look at the Cosby Show. Positve media. One of the few shows in the HISTORY OF TELEVISON to this day that portrayed a sucessful African American Family. That means nothing? Please… Look at Fat Albert. That show was HUGE and it was about the ghetto. Come on man. He knows the ghetto. Anyone who is from the ghetto knows the ghetto. You dont just wake up one day and forget where you came from. The problem is that people who cant see that road out for themselves have a hard time listening to someone on the other side.

Your way is just that your way. How do you know what the next man does to give back? How do you know? If I mentor one kid then is that not my part plus some?
Its just never enough for some point blank. From my scale by just looking at what he has done that should be enough to shut up all people who could even imagine to down Cosby. From his clean comedy to his talks on the importance of family. To alot of people its just never enough unless its their way of giving back.

I agree with DDD. Although I do like Cosby and believe he has what a lot of people now adays don’t (seemingly good, clean, moral values), I agree that you can’t just say, ‘Everyone go get educated and stop perpetuating this cycle of poverty and ignorance’. Nor can a movie theater help someone do that. What DDD has said so far rigns fairly true; I am not a minority nor from the ghetto, but I know hopelessness and have had people in my life that have helped me a lot by example and through actual actions.

@brook
I think you know what I mean. I layed it out very pretty for you. So I cannot address it anymore than I have. If you are there and or have been there. Then you know the value of my statement. To argue it just lets me know that you are either detached or never been there.

@BL
It was no secret my coach informed me he was alotted an extra scholarship due to AA. And guess who got it…:slight_smile: But that was not going to deter my college hopes as I was heavily recruited but alot rides on which school you graduate from. I know it sounds weird and unfair but because of the time at which I took my SAT’s and an injury some major colleges took me off their radars.

That is my point exactly. Impact. If you really want to change get down there at ground zero and do so. Dont think you can do so from a CNN couch. WHile his success is a inspiration in itself. If you are from there you know it takes more than that.

understood. i do see now that i probably came off a little nieve. really all i was trying to get across is that although affirmative action has its good points, it also has its bad.

its kind of incredible how quickly human interaction can get so far off the beaten path.

@DDD
your still way off I am nether detached and I HAVE been there. Read the name its brooklyn…lol That whole last statement you made is a hasty generalization in the least. To you its either this or that…

You guys are so caught up with believeing that the “best” way is trying to touch individuals that you fail to see that there “is more than one way to skin a cat”

There is more than one way to help the community. Community centers are not the only way to help the community. Not only that but the whole “detached” argument is weak. Hes detached so he cant relate anymore. Please. Thats a cop-out used to discredit someone who has been there. The fact that he isnt there anymore should make him more of an authority and should give more weight to his point. When your in a situation your view of whats going on is much smaller than when you are out of it and you can look back on the situation objectively. Basically your “world view” is larger after you get out the ghetto and experience more of the world. Think people. Think. So the Cosby is “detached” arguement is weak at best and actually discredits your whole point.

The fact is that he made a true statement. People need to learn the language, people need to be parents… think you have to start somewhere …and isnt acknowlegement of the problem the first step? But like I said to many people that hate its never enough. One man risking being critisized to bring these issues to light and start debate is not enough and he cant get respected for even taking that first step. People would rather hate on the man then appreciate what he started, take the ball and run with it for the benefit of the people. Please give me a break. (like the late N. Carter…lol)

_ONE

Like I said I agree with you and yes he did make a true statement. I just dont see how pointing a finger and saying this social group has a problem and I am rich so listen to me is going to help. It’s not like he was talking to a government official about it. He was talking to a news anchorman. You call it taking a step, but everyone and the momma already knows there is issues in the ghetto and education is one of them. So he is taking a step many people have already taken hell Bill Clinton our ex-President took that same step and look the problem is still there. So no my friend I dont commend him for taking this step. I do commend him for being a role model and inspiration. BUt like I said unfortunately there is baggage that comes with that whether you like it or not. And not many respond to that. Explain to me how Bill getting on TV and saying what has been said forever going to help this social-economic issue? Did he bring a new solution? Hell did he find a new problem?

But I did hear on the news that he now intends to setup some scholarships and send some kids to college. I did not catch the full report because I was walking out the door. But it seems like he might have seen this post…lol. Final note there is more than one way to skin a cat, but you actually have to skin the cat at one point, not talk about the different ways (to borrow your phrase).

The fact the people are talking about the issues he brought up IS a step. People are just too blinded by fear and shame to be smart about the comments and use it uplift themselves.

Funny thing is that Bill and his wife have been multimillion dollar contributers to Spelman & Morehouse Colleges(two of the largest oldest historically black colleges in the USA) for years. If you have been to Spelman College then you should know he funded the million dollar Camille Cosby building and has provided funds for scholarships for many years. I know because I used to date someone that went to Spelman and I been there many times. But oh funding educations, and supporting institutions that directly help his people is not really doing anything huh? …lol Pull your head out the sand & get your facts straight before you make up your mind about an issue and pass judgement about someone and what they do. Thats the wise thing to do.

Let me re-itereate. I agree with you on several of your points just not all of them.

All of the scholarships and buildings were after his son died. Before which his support was non-existant. And those scholarships are mainly for persons who are already attending Spellman unless that has changed recently. Which albeit is still a good thing. And the building you speak of the Camille center was kinda donated to him you could say. His name was endorsed on it. I used to hang out up at Spellman so I too have been there. My hand has never been in the sand. I know first hand what interaction with the youth can do. And since I am living my words I feel that gives my opinion validity. You on the other hand is speculating about the effectiveness of a method. You have not reaped the benefits of MJ’s theater. You have not attended a class at Spellman. You have not received a Bill Cosby scholarship. Nor can you name a person you know personally that has benefitted from anything you have mentioned. From the sounds of things you have not even lent a helping hand to anyone. So you should have your facts straight before you comment. I personally am trying to make a change you are discussing change. I have made a positive impact in my community lets not forget that. I just really feel Bill should interact more with the community and maybe more folks will realize the real needs of the ghetto.

LOL you speak of what you dont know homie slow ya roll. I dont need to prove my point by telling you about myself and personal accolades. If I wanted to prove you wrong and make my point based on MY experiences and not my point and the facts then I could have blown you out in my first post but Im not a show off and thats not my intention. But since you insist smarty pants I went to Morehouse I have an undergrad DEGREE from there, I also atteneded other schools and went to school overseas also… you dont know me. I attended Spelman college I took classes over there (I cross registered.) I can name many people who were able to take classes and directly benefitted from his contributiuon to the school. His son went to my school an yes Bill Cosby was contributing long before Innis(his son) was murdered. Get ya facts straight.

You cant win an arguement based on the topic so you want to talk about me and even there your off. Slow ya roll you did nothing in this thread but prove that you dont know JACK.

holla at purdue.

_ONE

lol…mr. ebonics all of a sudden…lol…My bad for the assumption but you went from dating someone at Spellman to going there and receiveing an Undergrad degree. Okay… Well like I said I walk the walk and have already made an impact. So i know what works. And like I said, giving back to the community you came from can have a greater more resounding immediate effect than a indirect approach. That is the whole basis of my point. The problems in the ghetto is not funding for college. Which if you ask around not many will know that program exists and if they cannot read in HS how are they going to get to that scholarship? This conversation as reached its end. But sit back and think about what you said and one day it will jump up and kick ya in the butt and then you will realize what I was talking about.

You know I saw a comic on Tough Crowd(Patrice Oneal) say something that was really disheartening, and its been on my mind since the night I heard it. He said that in the community he grew up in(and he categorized all black communities in this manner) the kids who tried to step up and become smart were then classified as white, as to discourage the individual who wanted to get a good education, not to emulate a race. Its sad, but its a different view that I had never seen.

As for my experiences, growing up in a 65% black school, it seemed that too many of the kids didn’t get the type of early childhood reinforcement to stress the importance of a good education and all of the opportunities that having one affords you. I see it reflected later in life now that I’m in my early 20s too at jobs. In some people you can see a lack of work ethic to go out and get what you want, because it isn’t out of your reach. I don’t think some people have heard that. I have worked with some great people who are African American, and I am currently trying to get a design job with a guy who was on Black Entrepenuers top 100 black businessmen of 2003, so there are some people who understand what is in front of them. I definitely don’t think its because of a lack of opportunity, just a lack of drive instilled within the youth. Hell, I didn’t have any drive going to college, so a 3.9gpa student had to learn the hard way more than once about work ethic(being asked to leave a college sucks, lets put it that way).

-Sentientv2

The Cos (sorry, I love referring to him as that) wasn’t merely ranting about the tendency of black youths to use improper spoken English.

If anything he was commenting on the fact that poor linguistic skills are a part of a larger “us vs. them” mentality. The mentality that speaking “proper English” is succumbing to the white man’s ways. The mentality that holding on to a job and working hard for what you get is succumbing to the white man’s ways. In its attempt to alienate and seperate itself from the nebulously categorical “white man,” an identifiable segment of the equally nebulously categorical “black community” has consciously avoided doing anything that could truly lead them to better, happier lives.

Then again, the Cos is far-removed from the very community he’s so quick to judge. He’s rich and he’s spewing comments across a very big generation gap. It’s to be expected of course. Very often the oldest generation forgets just how much more racist, sexist, and violent their time was. And choosing to instead criticize and get “all flezzle in the bezzle” at an entire generation they know little or nothing about.

Sorry Im just now re-stumbling back on this but the funny thing is that the very reason that hes removed and “rich” is the very reason he should be listened to.

Name me one person in the ghetto that does not want to be in Cosbys shoes? Ok.So we all know people want to get out of the ghetto. Cosby grew up poor in Philly with no father around, so its not like he was a rich priviliged kid all his life. You people should know the back groung about what you speak before you type.
A person who got out of the ghetto and made it like he did is the best type of person to tell those still there what to do to get out.
A person that grew up from a broken home is the best person to talk about the effects of a broken home. People in the ghetto dont know how to get out so it takes someone like Cosby who WAS there and got out to teach. People need to stop being so defensive, take a look in the mirrior and take heed. POINT BLANK

_ONE

Sorry Im just now re-stumbling back on this but the funny thing is that the very reason that hes removed and “rich” is the very reason he should be listened to.

Not really, but then that comes down to a matter of ideals and morals. I believe it would be more advantagious to make the path easier for others. If I found my way thru a snowstorm yet covered my track as I went. It would help no one to tell them just go straight…you feel me.

Name me one person in the ghetto that does not want to be in Cosbys shoes? Ok.

Me I dont want to be in his shoes. I mean I would not mind having endless money flow. But I dont want the hassles of being famous.

So we all know people want to get out of the ghetto. Cosby grew up poor in Philly with no father around, so its not like he was a rich priviliged kid all his life. You people should know the back groung about what you speak before you type.

I am well aware of his background. I think everyone is. And it is an inspiring story. But it is almost like that untouchable myth, that is just what it is. Inspiration. But when you come back down and give back, help, mentor anything to your neighborhood. You make that dream/myth tangible. Which renews hope, faith and determination. I have seen this first hand so many times. And also was a product of that same caring. A allstar athlete took me under his wing and mentored me and a few others and it meant the world.

A person who got out of the ghetto and made it like he did is the best type of person to tell those still there what to do to get out.

Ah ha…my point exactly. but it also depends on where you are speaking from. Speaking from the cnn couch is not the same as speaking from a inner city school auditorium. Or a boys and girls club. I think slowly but surely you are seeing it my way. Especially where your statements are heading.

A person that grew up from a broken home is the best person to talk about the effects of a broken home. People in the ghetto dont know how to get out so it takes someone like Cosby who WAS there and got out to teach. People need to stop being so defensive, take a look in the mirrior and take heed. POINT BLANK.

True to a sense. we/they all know how to get out of the ghetto. It is really how to get the ghetto out of us is what needs to be taught. Ask any street thug, crack head or normal inner city dweller how to get out of the ghetto. You will here, stay in school, get an education, stay out of jail, stay off drugs…The normal after school special stuff. So they all know, it is not a secret how to get out. But it is almost like being a prisoner of your habitat. it becomes you and all you know and come to love. I mean I loved my broken up and cracked streetball court and all the people in my neighborhood. But to be shown and have it demonstrated in a tangible fashion the fruits of the labor of a person who “made it” is way different than making commercials and cnn guest appearances. Believe me.

I am not totally poking holes in Bill, but I just think for him to get up there and make the strong statements he did. He can be doing more. I can name alot of athletes and stars who are doing alot more for inner city communities than talk. And I would respect these comment a little more coming from them.