Breaking news about Satan

Here is a pasted story from Ananova.com. I thought everyone would get as much a kick out of it as I did, hence my post in Random.

Mayor 'did not have permission to ban the Devil' 

Officials say a mayor was not authorised to ban Satan from her Florida town.

Carolyn Risher composed a written statement on official stationery and put copies in hollowed-out fence posts at the four entrances to Inglis.

She said she had been prompted by concern about issues like drunken drivers, fathers who molest their daughters and people who steal from neighbours.

The Town Commission has now decided the proclamation was the work of an individual, not a town official, because it was never authorised.

It is reported the decision appears to have warded off a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The St Petersburg Times reports it was taken at a meeting on Monday.

A supporter of the mayor, Glenda Townsend, 50, told the meeting: “The ACLU makes me sick. Evil will abound when good men do nothing. It’s time to stand up, America.”

Town Commission member Floyd Craig said he would challenge the mayor next year: “We’re getting a lot of media attention lately, and it’s made the town the laughingstock of the country.”

The anti-Satan proclamation states: “Be it known from this day forward that Satan, ruler of darkness, giver of evil, destroyer of what is good and just, is not now, nor ever again will be, a part of this town of Inglis. Satan is hereby declared powerless, no longer ruling over, nor influencing, our citizens.”

Copies were put in hollowed-out posts painted with the words Repent, Request and Resist.

Story filed: 16:33 Tuesday 29th January 2002

pj
:cool:

One could wonder if it’s a good thing to prevent someone from banishing satan, even if it infringes upon the constitution. Again, I don’t think that I want to get into that here. :wink:

But thats what Random means, I hope. I knew this was off the wall, but it made me laugh pretty hard. I agree, people really shouldn’t be prohibited from banishing Satan, although one must ask the obvious, (assuming he exists, work with me here for the sake of conjectural argument) would Satan be constrained by jurisprudence to obey such a law? Of course not! Thats what is so phunny here! A law, that like most laws, does nothing. But as I said after reading the story; Only in America! Only here.

pj
:evil:

how do you know that?

that’s why I said I didn’t want to get in it here. We’re already stretching the imagination for the idea of Satan, if one were an atheist or agnostic, so what’s to say that something like a certified proclamation notarized by the will of the people, should not hold back mighty Lucifer?

Ultimately we don’t know.

Personally I’d say let them make any such proclamations the like. It can’t hurt anyone. We just need to make sure that if it comes time to prosecute on those charges, that they have adequate proof that it’s Satan they’ve got.

:slight_smile:

made me laugh too.

just something interesting for you all… i worked for a while with the company that invented annanova (Press Association, if ya wondering)

recently they sold her to another company for… dig this…

£90 000 000

:smiley: we live in a crazy world…

TDF

90,000,000? And how do you make that phunny little Lira sign. Do you have to be french phor that to werk er what? Snowing here, 5 inches so phar and its still coming down hard. Kind of neat. Our phirst snow. And on the Satan thang, conjecture again here for phun, so werk with me uppy, can you imagine Satan trying to get into that town and God saying, now Satan, didn’t they ban you? NO,NO! I am not going to bail you out if you get caught. But your right, they better make sure they ca prove their case, phor he gets blamed phor an awphul lot of stuff that he is not rsponsible for, My guess is that the ACLU would end up mounting a rigoroud defense, and that Johnny Cochran would be somewhere in the whole fray.

pj
:evil: