Consoles VS the PC

You gotta realize that the PS2 is a few years old and its graphics card is out dated. However, I don’t know why they only have two controller ports when the N64 had four… still, I am a loyal Xbox’er. And the only reason why I would consider getting a PS2 is for the Gran Turismo series.

It seems that there are so many games coming out for PS2 that the developers don’t have enough time to make decent menus. They’re all really bad.

PC for FPS, Stratergy games. (due to the mouse making the games)

Consoles for football sims, games like tony hawks, beat em ups, every thing else. (Work better as an overall package)

I love them both. When I am sitting around playing a Final Fantasy game, where I just sit back and relax, I want to chill on my couch. If I am playing a RTS or FPS, or even a racing game, I love my PC. My friends and I playing Guilty Gear X2, give me my console. They are both wonderful things. You are going to get cheaters in online play no matter what. Take Need for Speed Underground. All the console kiddies cheated at that.

But with my PC, I can stop instantly and be productive if needed.

This is one of those arguments that does not need to exist. Both machines do their jobs wonderfully.

The question is which do you like better, and some people seem to have some definite positions on this matter, so I think it is a worthwhile argument.

sony’s fault for being the first out of the gate

I might slide possibly, but id still prefer games like NFSU and Burnout

and Mario Kart…greatest racing game ever

if you have Soul Calibur 2, make sure it aint for ps2
who wants that dude w/ no weapons when you can have Link or Spawn? seriously

one more thing…why is sony trying to put out a handheld, when they should have researched it first? the GBA SP came out so that ppl’s screens could be less scratched up, and what does sony do? leave a 4.something inch screen out in the open…put it in your pocket, and there goes the screen

Well, I don’t have an answer for that… it must be the same thing as their online play. They saw that Xbox/Microsoft was coming out with XBOX LIVE, so what did Sony do?

I think we all know the answer to that… it was just too obvious that they rushed everything out in a crappy attempt to compete with LIVE.

I have been playing online with the PS2 for a while now. Any person with a little knowledge knew they could play online.

USB Ethernet Adapter + Tony Hawk’s = Me schooling peopl with my mad combos. :slight_smile:

I pay for my Internet. I pay for my games. I can not justify myself to ay a fee for X-Box live when I can play hundreds of games online for free (not counting the aforementioned costs).

I have played the Sony Online and I have to tell you - it’s nothing compared to Xbox Live. The features that live has are just awesome and really makes for a great experience.

As for the cost, it’s the price of one game. With that you get a headset, a year’s subscription and a game or two depending on the package you find. Not to mention that after the years up you can pay for another full year or just pay monthly wich is only like 7.99 american a month.

Also, if you don’t want to pay for live but still check it out, buy a new game that is Live enabled and you are likley to get a 2 month’s free live card. Sure you don’t have the headset but you can see what all the fuss is about and relize why Xbox is ahead of the competiton when it comes to online gaming in the console world.

Pro PC
As for those console “live” things. You people got a lot of money to spare. I’m more willing to spend my monthly money on A SINGLE online fee: my dsl internet. Not 20$/month for mmorpg’s (thus the reason why I don’t play any mmorpg except ultima online, since uo’s free on a lot of emulated servers), not X$ per month (I don’t know how much it really is, but even 1$ is too much) to play a game on the xbox live when i could have the same for my PC, with only my DSL connection fee.

Why pay an additionnal fee per month to grant console companies the privilege of my clientèle, that is beyond my reasoning. PC online play is as good as it gets, what with all the mods, patches, new maps, the community, and so on.

If one of you still plays svencoop (or any HL mod for that matter) you know how much the community’s worth in the PC gaming environment. New maps/models/sounds/features every day, new mod version ensuring new content, and so on. You really can’t have that on consoles! That’s why mah vote’s on PC.

I’m up with all those who say that PC’s are the best for strategy and FPS’es (which are my main two game types!).

(Oh, Timesplitters is on the gamecube too, and trust me it’s as fun–and a gamecube is cheaper…)

Now for the pro-console
The games I enjoy playing on consoles are “party-style” (I got a N64 and not anything a generation newer, so bear with me):

-Mario Party (duh)
-Mario Kart
-(so on with other “mario something” games, where the multiplayer is fun…)
-Bomberman
-Perfect Dark
-Goldeneye
-Winback
-Any fighting game such as mortal kombat, killer instinct, soul calibur, dead or alive, and so on
-And, most importantly: Micromachines!!! Oh man, 8 player frantic fun! The best party game I’ve ever played.

Also, Dance Dance Revolution is a blast to play, even when alone…even more so when in a (sometimes drunken!) group.

Conclusion:
So these were my 0.02.
I play single player games on my PC. I play online games on my PC. I play “simple party games” on a console.

i dont have an XBox, mainly because all the games i would want I have already for PC, but if i did, i couldn’t use Live anyway
i’ve got aol
its crap
the only disadvantage to Live is that you need broadband
but, if you have broadband, at least all the 56kers wont lag you up

but seriously, games like Halo, KOTOR, jedi outcast, jedi academy, etc. - all availiable for PC

my PC = working and surfing

XBOX = playtime :smiley:

It’s not about which games are on what platform, at least not for me. It’s about what I feel more comfortable using, and in this case it’s my Xbox. I cannot see myself using my keyboard and mouse to play a videogame and I don’t feel like buying a controller; I don’t see the need for it when I have my Xbox which is made for this. Oh and I read something about “new maps,” you get the same thing with LIVE.

and if u look at ANY game on ps2 xbox gamecube, the graphics on the latter two are much better.
People like this infuriate me. Anyone who’s played games for a decent amount of time should know that graphics and technology don’t mean **** when you’re looking for a fun game. You’re welcome to go buy whatever looks best, but I would recommend If you want to look at pretty graphics go buy some artwork or something.

Personally I have a PS2 because it exclusively gets Square (except FF:CC) and Nippon Ichi games as well as the Gran Turismo series, Contra series, and every fighting game that’s any good. And I have a Gamecube for pure multiplayer goodness and Nintendo’s innovative titles (Wario Ware comes to mind). PC’s great as well, I love some online Raven Shield. So what reason is there to own an Xbox? For everything that the Xbox does, something else does it better.

It’s all about your personal tastes.

Good graphics and good gameplay is what makes a game great.

Anyway I’m not about to get into an “argument” about videogames and their systems, I’ve done this too many times…

People like this infuriate me
actually the main reason i brought that up is because im tired of people saying how much smoother or prettier PS2 games are. when it first came out, before GCN or Xbox, *maybe, *but everyone loves to say how smooth the ps2 is. If you play any game on PS2 and GCN/Xbox, you’ll notice it seems to lag. a lot. worse than playing CS online w/ AOL (trust me, I’ve been there). you can grow a beard between loading times. Some of the games run so slow and look like toilet fudge that I can’t play it. Its like someone trying to go back in time 600 years and live a good life. You’ll lose your mind

Yeah I would agree with you there. Playing Soul Calibur 2 on PS2 and then Xbox there is a pretty big difference in load time.

If you wanna talk about eternal load times play Resident Evil Outbreak now wtf was taht alost 30 secs for every rom you go into argh.

And as for pretty graphics i could care les gimme a good game with great characters and a cool story and im yours, i mean i still play my DC that my friends to me was the best 32 bit console it started it all, online play, portable memory cards, great innovative games and beautifull graphics, its funny till this day Soul Calibur 1 is one of the bes fighting games of all time ans it was only on DC.

Oh and btw theres a hack for the xbox which lets you play online without a Live subscription i havent used it but i know its available forgot the name too but if anyone is interested i can do a little research and get the info :wink:

Not supposed to talk about this on kirupa (hacks cracks and big macs)

oh yeah i never had DC but played it a lot
the graphics easily can rival PS2’s

fav. game was the the one where you flew toy airplanes, fought with things like erasers, paper clips, thumb tacks, etc. forget its name…somehting with toy maybe…

anyone know what im talking about?