Does anyone really use fireworks?

Me personaly , I love fireworks. When i am designing without flash, I think with fireworks you can achive some really nice things. Its easy to use and very fast, in case u need to meet a deadline. It might not have all the graphic tools photosho has, but it does contain other things, like slices and rollovers you can do quicly and easily?

I dont see many people talking about it or even books on it?
Post your reasons.

web stuff I do in fireworks usually, but for things like CD projects I tend to stick with photoshop/imageready… it can be a tossup sometimes, though usually PS/IR wins out for that.

I know Rev does use Fireworks quite a bit… seems to be a bit of a pro at it… :slight_smile:

Yeah, Rev uses it a lot.

I find it’s really good for optimising images and making animated gifs. :slight_smile:

As an experiment, when my hd crashed a couple months ago, I did not install any Adobe or Microsoft products (other than W2k)…

So far, I have not needed anything except Acrobat Writer…

I haven’t even noticed that PS isn’t installed… Then again, I try to steer away from print jobs… Just too much trouble for the $$…

FW does so much that most people haven’t even touched the surface. A lot of the things PS does now, is because FW did them in a previous version (anything for the web).

I really like the fact that I can make an animated gif with symbols, vector images to export directly to Flash… I also have imported .ai files into FW, then export to Flash, which makes every item into its own symbol…

I also like the fact that I can edit images straight from Dreamweaver without having to open FW…

I’m not sure since I am not a PS pro, but I think that anything that can be done in PS can be accomplished in FW… Not sure on that one tho…

Rev

Rev talks big, but my Photoshop can certainly do something your fireworks can’t.

…run away and cry after that long speech of yours.

Graphical, its seems PS is a more powerfull tool, yet in FW it seems I can create a whole webpage without anything else…

that is probably the biggest pro of fw, that it works so fine with flash. That was the main idea of Macromedia.
I didn’t do much with fireworks, but the people i know who use it make really cool stuff and are in nothing behind us ps users :slight_smile:
You can do alot of stuff faster in fw. And gradient stuff I think is also easier to make.
Anyhow, Macromedia did a great job, but it is really hard to get better than ps…

I’ve used FW since I was in design school, taking PS classes, and FW version 1 was released. I stopped PS, and paid attention to FW from then on…

And yes Aislin, you can make all kinds of pretty wallpaper and such in PS, but you can do the same stuff in FW… As I have said, I have not seen anything done in PS that isn’t able to be duplicated with FW… Adobe was just there first in the Graphics proggy’s…

I think that if everyone who is adept at photoshop had that much experience with FW, that they would never go back to PS…

JMO - I think FW is soooo much quicker, and easier to use (it was designed for Windows based machines, whereas PS was designed for the Mac interface).

Rev

If I would do more with Flash, I would defenitly use fw…

In the last MX seminar I went to, the presenters were cautious enough to put it that FW is not to be seen as an alternative to PS, but rather an extension or enhancement… not in that it necessarily works in conjunction with PS, but that it can be used to offer other options or abilities to whatever you do in PS… I think a lot of that might have to do with print :q: but there are a number of things PS can do that FW cant, then again many FW can that PS cant. The biggest advantage to FW (as mentioned) is its integration to the other apps like dreamweaver and director - FW doesnt even have to open fully for you to optimize an image in either of those apps. Of course the biggest advantage PS has is the userbase and the people who know how to use it already - why learn FW if you know PS? Close enough to the same thing - works well enough to get the job done, why change? People dont like change. It requires to much brain-power… and not too many of us have much to spare :wink:

sen:

I agree… I didn’t have the time to learn both completely, so I chose FW (it was sooooo much less money)…

Macromedia has always been very careful to say that FW is not a PS replacement…

But I do agree that more people know PS better… a lot better…

Rev

Can you install the usual plugins such as EyeCandy etc in Fireworks?

I have been thinking of purchasing the MX suite for FWMX and DWMX 'cos i can get it quite cheap but if all my plugins don’t work i can’t see the value in it and might as well just purchase DWMX seperatley and stick to Paint Shop Pro…

Dave

yeah, Fireworks can use PS pluggins

yup…

I have everything from Eye Candy, KTP3,4,5,6, xenofex, etc…

all with FW…

Rev

someone is really proud here :wink:

trying to make new friends?

Rev

Thanks Sen & Rev - good to know…

What do you use for 3d work? I’ve just downloaded Blender but never using anythin like it it can be quite daunting…

But the price is right :slight_smile:

Dave

Rev - you got me kind of excited to Try fireworks.

from the limited time I have spent with it I noticed that makeing things like drop down menus and other neat little html things is much easier and it does a lot of the work for you…

I just might have to try it out!

*Originally posted by Daveman *
**Thanks Sen & Rev - good to know…

What do you use for 3d work? I’ve just downloaded Blender but never using anythin like it it can be quite daunting…

But the price is right :slight_smile:

Dave **

I use Maya at work 1) because its what we have here and 2) its what I studied in college (from what 3D experience I have from college). At home I use Blender because its ‘cool’, fun to learn and experiment in -and yes, the price is right. I just find it fascinating that so much is available as a free package, and being able to work with that and use that to my advantage is a wonderful feeling (because its FREE!) …and it works pretty well with Swift3D exporting/Importing models as autocad.

Maya is nice though. Theres a lot of goodness there… could be better goodness, but mostly most impressive goodness. the price is definitely not impressive. :!: