Just Curious --- Please solve my ...dumbness

If the internet is just one big thing that any joe can have a site on, why do we have to buy a URL? If I got like a server or something, and hooked it up to the net, why would i have to buy a domain name and what not?

If we’re buying them from people who own them, who did they buy them from? Why did the people that originally owned them… own them, and how’d they get them???

I have been wondering this for years you know!
Where the heck did the web-hosts get the free web-space and domains from???:-\
:x

I wonder this too! Anyone know? lol

• Soul :goatee:

lost probably knows. if not him, phil will have a government conspiracy for us. eventually. stares at screen for next three hours pressing F5 every so often

JUBBA! get your ash in here and solve my problem question! I saw you replying to it on the ONLINE page, but you didn’t!

AFRAID TO ADMIT YOU DON’T KNOW, JUBBA!?

I WON’T BUY YOUR PEANUTBUTTER! NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE!

yreah I saw him replying too and with the next refresh he was offline!
JUBBBBAA!
he knows something! Let’s get him!

YOU TOO can get JUBBA PEANUTBUTTER!

The new brand available as of January 31’st 2002 launched with an OUTSTANDING number of sales!
Now you, (YES YOU!) have the chance to share the world’s happiness! For only 3.99 per jar, and 3.99 for shipping to anywhere in North America (unlimited jars per shipment!) and 7.99 to anywhere in the world, you can have the BEST PEANUTBUTTER EVER!

Copyright 2003 Jubba Corp.
[SIZE=1]See the Jubba Enquirer and Jubba Times for more details on Jubba Jam, Jelly, and Popcorn products.[/SIZE]

advertising at kirupaville! ROFLMAO
stupid peanutbutter!

btw Jubba is replying somethin’!

WTH is this about peanut butter?

Anyway, this is what I think is right, but its probably not.

WebHosting services (racknine, MT, ipowerweb.net) have large servers. Essentially they are just harddrives that store all of your website information. THey are all interconnected to the internet.

THe internet is like a big telephone network. You need to dial to the site and it answers and sends the information to your personal computer.

The domain name (www.whereever.com) is like the phone number. Actually the IP address of the website is the phone number, but the domain name is a mask for the IP. By dialing the domain name, you call the webhosting services’ harddrives and then the information is relayed to you computer.

It is possible to host your own websites, but you computer woul dhave to be on 24/7 (I think) and you would use your IP address. I’m not sure about the buying of domain names tho…

Jubbarific!

Thanks Jubba for Jubbing the question. It needed some Jubba.

I’ll buy your ■■■■ peanutbutter still, don’t get all cranky.

yeah but still… if I have a 24/7 hard drive n’ stuff how can I get it into the network to be a domain?

JUBBA RIFIC!
JUBBAFIED!
JUBBARIZED!
JUBBING!
JUBBA-D!
JUBBALAND!
JUBBAVILLE!
---------------------------NEWSFLASH!---------------------------
— JUBBA PEANUT BUTTER LOWERS IT’S PRICES —

[SIZE=1]Report by Tim Godin of the Jubba Enquirer/Jubba Times[/SIZE]

Jubba peanutbutter’s unreal success has caused the company to lower costs! After selling 400,000,000 bottles and jars, the companies net income had become hundreds of times the Accounts Payable, (debts, costs, etc)

Fans of Jubba peanutbutter rejoice!

[SIZE=1]Copyright Jubba Peanutbutter — Article Copyrighted 2003 Jubba Enquirer, Subsidiary of Jubba Times, subsidiary of Jubba Corp.[/SIZE]

well the computer would have to have a unique IP address and then you would just send people to the IP address. I’m not sure how it works. I know its possible for people to host their own sites but doesn’t happen often. David might have better knowledge in this aspect of stuff. Like I said I am not 100% sure of what I said, its just my theory.

Aislin: I Think you are a little too obsessed with my name…

OH MY GOD! JUBBA’S SIG CHANGES RANDOM LIKE!

JUBBARIFIC!

OMFG! This is ******** *** * * ** ** ** **** *
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

jubba’s sig is so cool it’s as cool as Syko’s, but syko’s is very what’s that word… slick I guess it is. Smooth and new age like.

well, i actually have my website stored on my own pc, and i do not understand that thing with domain-buying. thats just …

whooo

does anyone know, how much a standard .com - domain costs?

when you buy it directly from the nic?

in austria the first domain costs 70 dollars a year, the next domains 35 dollars, bought direct at www.nic.at, the official “dealer”…

I bought my domain for $25/per year and it comes with hosting too. =)

I paid an initial $10/year for my domain name… $8 after that.