Salvation - Is it in you?

David - Yeah I do try to hide my age on boards and interactions. Everywhere else on the internet I was born in 1980.:slight_smile: I think people see young age as inexperience sometimes, and look down on that. I figure if we are all here learning and having fun with flash and the members of the board, age isn’t important.

Although I do go to church, I don’t think I go as willingly as I should. I don’t enjoy church too much, but we do have a good pastor.

Phil -

“To not fear Death is the greatest blessing of all. Just the knowledge that I am saved form the future eternal separation of God and sinners and will not be amonsgt those who perish is the greatest gift of all. A clear conscience and a life free of guilt. To know God is to believe the message of Gods unspeakable gift, Christ. And all that all of this of course implies.”

That’s a great point. And although one of the greates blessings of all, I think it is very difficult (for me at least) to have 100% belief that I will go to heaven. There are those passages in the Bibly where Jesus says to people that ask for eternal life and say they have been good. Jesus says give all of your earthly possessions to the poor, and then, and only the will you have eternal life. I can’t live up to that standard, and sometimes have a little doubt about what if those passages are correctly telling what it takes to get to heaven.

-brad-:cowboy:

My dad used to make us go to churce every Easter (yes, that was the only time) and I hated it. All it was was sit…stand…sit…stand…sit…stand…sit…stand.

It got really annoying, not to mention I was never really interested in the first place. Well we stopped going after one year our reverend talked about how the easter bunny was fake and how kids shouldn’t believe in it. My dad was furious with it and he refused to let us go back there for Easter after that (woo hoo!)

Now the only time I can be found in church is if it is some family thing like a wedding, funeral, or memorial of some sort.

Brad: Young age is sometimes frowned upon. Sometimes it is for good reason, other times for not. Just another example of how unfair the world can be I suppose :-\

just a thought for people to mull over. Athiests are the only ones who are truely free from fear of death. If you’re a Christian or a Budhist or whatever you will always have the underlying possibility that you wont go to heaven/reach nirvana/etc. Atheism, as faiths go, states a lack of existance post mortem. Some people, not understanding the nature of this are really fearful… I look at it this way. If you don’t exist, you simply wont know it. If you wont know it then you shouldn’t fear it… that’s just silly.

LOL LostibBeta, both good points.

For the second one, I feel that in communites like these, unless a younger one is speaking out of inexperience, then age shouldn’t matter. For me, I’m trying to get a jump on a career in multimedia, and having a hell of a time doing it. It shouldn’t matter what mine, or anyone else’s age is.

Well I always assumed death was like sleeping. You never notice when you are asleep, it is when you wake up that you realize it. It is almost as if you forget you exist when you sleep because your body shuts down everything except what it needs to survive, so technically your body “kills” itself for a couple of hours.

Another one of my crazy beliefs :crazy:

I don’t even know what I am. I can’t be aethiest because sometimes I tend to believe in reincarnation, and aethiests don’t believe in anything.

My main idea on what happens after you die is that you become fertalizer for the plants (crudely put, you will have to read my first post on the first page of this thread to see what I mean).

Brad: In a community to learn, age doesn’t matter. You are here to learn, if you have the ability to grasp the knowledge you are given here, then you are old enough to handle it, that is all that matters.

Haha I have one of those crazy beliefs. A theory I came up with a while ago. It’s too long and too **** confusing though. It’s hard for me to put it into words, but if you’ve read Michael Chrichton’s The Andromeda Strain, I beleive a part of it is mentioned in there as “the butterfly effect”

Yes, I actually do know of the butterfly effect.

Isn’t that the theory where 1 tiny event causes a change in any other event? Like me doing something here, can change something that happens in Canada? (I think it was explained to me as a bird flapping its wings here can build up enough amplitude to cause a tornado on the other side of the globe or something, I know it is a chaos theory of some sort)

Not sure, I have heard of it, just not sure if I am getting my “effects” mixed up. I know of a couple “effects”

Let us not forget Shirley McClaine, and her golden thread theory…:nerd:

peace from whatever sources :ninja:

David: I agree with your statement 100% in regards to freedom. keep the faith :cowboy:

Rev:elderly:

Haha yes, that is it. Basically, it goes a butterfly in a forest shutters his wings to the left, insead of the the right, which in turn causes a chain of events that can lead to devastating effects for the world.

My version applies to everyday life. You are sitting at your desk right now, you look at your hands and move one an inch. Just by doing that, your hands are not in the same place as they were if you didn’t move your hands, and throughout the rest of your life, all of your interactions will be changed, some worse, and some better, because you moved your hand an inch.

It’s confusing as hell when I try to explain it, but yap, that’s it.

No, I completely understand. I understand because I had that same theory when I was growing up. I was a very deep thinking kid for some reason.

I started believing in the ripple effect (still do) and I got into other effects. The butterfly effect is an interesting concept that I used to believe in, I can’t say I fully do anymore, but there are parts of the theory I believe in.

I know this is completely off-topic, but this reminds me of one of the Simpson’s Halloween episodes where Homer tries to fix his toaster and is teleported back in time. He sneezes and sets of a chain reaction that has a negative impact on the whole world. I think him killing a mosquito also caused that problem =)

Cheers!
Kirupa :stuck_out_tongue:

Phil: No I wasn’t framed for anything, and no girlfriend either, but just to point out, the existence of dinosaurs 4500 years ago, wouldn’t change anything that has to do with Archaeology. Paleontology, which is the study of prehistoric life by the evidence of fossils and remains would suffer greatly. But again, Phil by all evidence that can’t be.

Ok, I’m not going to get into this here. Anyway…Archaeology would not suffer, trust me on that one, it is my field of study. Archaeologists have nothing (NOTHING) to do with dinosaurs. Unless, we happen to find one on an archaeological site, and the number of times that has happened…ZERO, because they were extinct. :slight_smile:

the dinosaur thing would change a lot scientifically, but not much for me spiritually.

i guess if anything, my beliefs tend toward buddhism or taoism.

after 37 years and several religious affiliations, i decided i need to chill out and step back and take a look at things. the problem (for me) of being part of a “religion” is that you start viewing everythign from the point of view of that set of religious beliefs, either little by little, or all at once. maybe there were some things you agreed with in the beginning, but soon it becomes a filter for everything. i needed to break away from it all and discover what I believe, not what WE believe.

Well culturally it would mean that evolution is whacked, but there is no evidence for it. The only evidence that Phil presents can be disputted, and I’m sure I can counter with enough evidence. The only thing that really annoys me is that Phil says, “This is what happened” Instead of, “This is what I think/believe”

Phil: There is no way to know for sure. You believe in the book. I believe in the evidence that I have seen. Yes there is much evidence that I haven’t, seeing that I am only 19 years old, and there is much of the world that I have not seen and there is much of it that I will never see. However, the evidence that I have seen is more than enough for me to conclude that Evolution is not bogus. As a scientist, as an archaeologist, this is what I believe. I am not saying that I am right, I am just saying that this is what I put my faith in.

I believe that Dinosaurs lived and breathed millions of years ago, and that they died for some unknown reason. I believe that man decended from monkeys decended from rodents decended from reptiles decended from fish decended from microorganisms. Evolution and science are my religion. I believe that the dinosaurs died long before modern man was ‘created’ or had evolved fully, because if not then there would be evidence for it. There would be human bones mixed in with Dinosaur bones, or there would be dinosaur bones in a Hohokam trashpit. The remains of Australopithecus would be found with dinosaur bones. The Clovis people would be hunting a Pentaceratops instead of Mammoths. And the evidence would prove this.

I keep an open mind, and if I ever see an completely obvious sign that there is a god, then I’d drop down and praise him for all the sins that I have committed against him. But since there is no sign of that I can’t believe. I need proof, I need evidence, and the only concept that has given me what I need, is Science.

I am no longer participating in this discussion on Kirupa’s forums. This will be my last post in this thread. Once I get done with midterms I might start up again on your forum Phil. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jubbs :cowboy:

… Where’s the checkbox for “I’m going to heaven because I’ve accepted Jesus Christ’s free offer for salvation” ??? Mark me down for that one. :rambo: Now, “acceptance” is the pivotal term here, but that’s another topic. :hat:

Peace!

Jeff

Phil …

But #4’s incomplete. The offer needs to be ACCEPTED.

J

Jesus knows your heart. Judgment occurs there.

Believing = acceptance … AND … acceptance = believing

It’s deeper than the simple equation, yet even more simple. :goatee:

j