Site check - www.zeroballet.info

i’ve been working on this site on and off for a few months. i’m not a web designer, but like playing with flash and design. i’d really appreciate comments and criticism, especially in regard to architecture, navigation, and code; bugs and things that can be improved also. i’m planning on redoing it in flash mx later this year, video content and all, so suggestions on how to keep the whole thing really efficient and well coded would be welcomed. the address is http://www.zeroballet.info.

thanks

It’s very nice. I’m no flash master but my impression is good. It’s just that it loads a bit slow but that’s no prob regarding ur sweet site. Bye

I think the design of the site is very nice,
it only reminds me of the former praystation site.
a lot actually.

maybe I’m wrong, but thats the impression I got

inti - what was slow? the loading, the animation? i’ve redone a bunch of scrit - for loading external swfs/going to frame label using functions, and generally tidied it up over the last couple of days. if you have a moment can you tell me if thatimproves the speed.

lolo - yeah i was influenced by praystation when i first started outin flash - still shows i guess.

cheers

Well…sorry i’m a newbier newbie than u. Just it loaded slow the time i opened it. I’m not very good at AS.
Ciao:)

Nice. :slight_smile:

tip: when you use DW to make a page, make sure you save the html first, before placing your images… otherwise it will automatically make your path absolute, instead of relative…

take a look at your source code. You have a background image in a table cell that is calling to a file on your computer, instead of something like /images/index/15.gif:

<i>(‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r2_c3_f3.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r2_c3_f2.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r2_c3_f4.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r4_c2_f3.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r4_c2_f2.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r4_c2_f4.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r6_c2_f3.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r6_c2_f2.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r6_c2_f4.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r8_c2_f3.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r8_c2_f2.gif’,‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r8_c2_f4.gif’,‘images/index/3.gif’,‘images/index/7.gif’,‘images/index/11.gif’,‘images/index/15.gif’)"></i>

that is probably why it is loading so slow (at least your default page), because it is looking for images which it can’t find.

Sorry if I didn’t explain well

Rev:elderly:

*Originally posted by reverendflash *
**Nice. :slight_smile:

tip: when you use DW to make a page, make sure you save the html first, before placing your images… otherwise it will automatically make your path absolute, instead of relative…

take a look at your source code. You have a background image in a table cell that is calling to a file on your computer, instead of something like /images/index/15.gif:

<i>(‘file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/francesd/Desktop/flash/untitled%20folder/images/ZEROBALLET_ENTER_r2_c3_f3.gif’,</i>

that is probably why it is loading so slow (at least your default page), because it is looking for images which it can’t find.

Sorry if I didn’t explain well

Rev:elderly: **

cheers, that is really, really good advice. i’m not much of an html person. i changed it by hand in code view to the relative path /images/index/file.gif coz i wasnt sure what you meant about saving.

eg. when i want to put fireworks or whattever images into an new html doc i should save it first (eg give it a title then hit save) then import the images? i tried deleting the image, saving, reimporting, but did not work. i assume it has to be done as an initial step. anyway, thanks, i’d noticed those long file names and thought ‘no sir, i don’t like it’. thanks again.

also i’ve updated a lot of the code now that i’ve discovered the joy of functions, and generally tidied it up. i think it loads faster and smoother now, but occasionally half of an external swf will load then drop out, or stop loading half way through - could be a slow 56k modem problem?

cheers and thanks again

supernaut

I’ve testet you’r site in low quality, and it didn’t look worse,
the only effect it had was the text, it was more cleare, so you
might want to consider to toggle your quality to lo.

I hope it’s a usefull tip

cheers:)

You assume correctly… :slight_smile: name it, title it, then save it, then import FW images…

DW will then make all of the paths relative… Just a quirk that no one writes in a book… :stuck_out_tongue: evm though it has been there since DW1 :-\

Rev
:elderly:

cheers rev, it makes my code look much neater.

another question about html. i ditched the javascript scroller coz it was so unreliable across different browsers - swapped it for a very swank mx component:P . However, in iCab it doesnt seem to like layers, and instead of the layer which holds the component being placed correctly, it places it up the top and slightly to one side. Is this a DW thing or iCab, or am i very useless at html?

lolo - thanks for the tip, the text is very much clearer, but it seems to make the animation of the scroll bar a bit jerky - maybe its a combination of the right fps and quality.

i’ve redone a lot of the code over the last week, and it seems to be smoother and cleaner looking,

thanks again everyone

supernaut