Stupid Buttons dont work

I am really starting to hate buttons. I was “following along” with a tutorial to make this site that has no purpose and probably wont be published to the web, and my buttons dont work!
I was looking at some of the code and I was like, this isnt gonna work.
Code:
on (release) {
tellTarget (rollover) {
gotoAndPlay (homeover);
}
}
on (rollOver) {
tellTarget (rollover) {
gotoAndPlay (homeover);
}
}
on (rollOut) {
tellTarget (rollover) {
gotoAndPlay (homeout);
}
}

I got this code off of www.kirupa.com(hehehehe). I think this tutorial was made for flash 5 or somthing, be that the case.

I added the .fla if you want to take a look on what the hell I am doing wrong. I did remove some things from the movie inorder to post it, but they werent tied to the content bar, just some corner animations.

Im working on it, there are a few ways to optimize it also, so I will reattach the .FLA file when I am done. I have to change some fonts since they aren’t on my computer so they don’t work, but you can change then back whenever.

Ok, I fixed it.

I added a stop() action to the first frame of your rollout clip (you left that out).

I optimized the code on your button since as of Flash MX the tellTarget feature is being Deprecated (fazed out). You will see the replacement for it in the code on the buttons. It is definitely easier and uses less code. Also, for the frame lables they have to be encased in " " (quotes) to work.

I also added fixed your HOME button so that it doesn’t only activate when you are over the text parts. It now activates over the whole button. You can open the button to see how I did that.

Well, I hope this is what you wanted.

Thanks alot for the help. So it was the code eh? thats crazy.

Yeah, most the problems were code. Although tellTarget still works, I recommend you use the new method from now on, because who knows when they will remove it completely.

There was also that problem with the button. Where the button would only work if you click exactly on the text. I just added an invisible button behind it to stop that.

Glad I could help!