The most biggest file site and most minimalistic eva!

ok so I have decided on a design for my site its very minimalistic and its actually a very big flash file (or atleast the biggest I’ve ever made 96 Kb lol)
http://www.mike-db.com

[ot][quote=REEF·;1983246]Thats no excuse, photoshop isnt the only tool for design in the world, there are lots of good ones and if graphics arent your thing you shouldnt even be worrying about a tool like photoshop. Flash and gimp can make good looking sites alone, not having PS is just an excuse.[/quote]
Whats photoshop? Fireworks is the only program you will ever need for designing Layouts IMO it feel faster for layouts.
[/ot]

i think you need to take some time when designing sites. they arent going to come ot you in five seconds flat, your just wasting your time making these small ones in flash, work on it for a few weeks until you get something a little more, dont be afraid to design.

[QUOTE=built_by;1983469]dont be afraid to design.[/QUOTE]this is what I meant by intimidation. good way to put it.

http://www.mike-db.com/new/2

That one aint too bad… could use some color on a rollover or something, but at least that is a hell of a lot cooler than your first one.

I still don’t understand why it must be so small…

really I don’t ether but I don’t know what else to fill the site with.

Hey mike-db,

Is there any reason why you’re not using the Stagelistener and align to center this baby? I think it has some potential, but it looks like you might want to have a go at just making it a “full flash site”.

Is there a menu? Not seeing any.

Also have you seen these links?

http://www.reflektions.com/miniml/template_permalink.asp?id=125
http://www.reflektions.com/miniml/template_permalink.asp?id=115
http://www.reflektions.com/miniml/template_permalink.asp?id=122

Cheers,

hetlicht

Wow, i think y’all need to lay off Mike for a minute. He’s obviously just starting and testing the waters…he’ll come up with a full site in his own good time…for now though he wanted a critique on something he made that he thought was cool. If you didnt get it or think it doesnt deserve a constructive critique, dont say anything…dont ream the kid for not being up to your standards. Maybe instead of saying “this is sh**…throw it out and start over”, maybe say “well, it could definately use some graphics, a logo, some content…hey mike, i see what you’re trying to do. Check out these tutorials: … Good luck man better luck next time :)”

See, i just said the same thing but didnt make him feel like crap for not “being up to par” as some ppl said. If there’s anything that’s going to make him “scared” of design it’s ppl that have experience telling him he sucks.

Mike, all i’ve got to say is you keep getting better and better with every try. Keep it up.

[QUOTE=SlicDiggy;1983776]“well, it could definately use some graphics, a logo, some content…”[/QUOTE]Im sure everybody whos ever seen a website knows this :sigh:. He doesnt have any content to fill it with, the guy says his graphics arent good, which sounds like someones afraid to try…the only thing left is a logo, which this thread isnt for.

Lets see what critique are you gonna give him slic? You usually need something in order to critique something.

[quote=REEF·;1983782]Im sure everybody whos ever seen a website knows this :sigh:. He doesnt have any content to fill it with, the guy says his graphics arent good, which sounds like someones afraid to try…the only thing left is a logo, which this thread isnt for.

Lets see what critique are you gonna give him slic? You usually need something in order to critique something.[/quote]

Come on bro, dont take what i said as an insult…you know you’re alright in my book. But to answer your question: i didnt give him a critique, i simply told him that his ideas are getting better with every try…and they really are. He’s experimenting with what can be done/he can do with flash…i find no foul in that. The fact that he referred to it as a site, when it obviously isnt doesnt seem like too big of a crime to me.

I wasnt the one who said his computer should be trashed, by the way. His ideas of course are improving, but I was just wondering what could we possibly say to that first website?

You’re alrighty too, I wasnt trying to come at you, I just want an example of what to say to sites like that cause I have no clue lol.

lol…i getcha…just dont think of it as a “site”. think of it as him trying some cool stuff in flash and building his skill for when he actually does decide that he’s ready to put a full site together. We all had to start somewhere.

i think he’s a cool kid, and actually reminds me of when i started designing…very excited and eager to get that big badass design down. I think instead of reaming him we should be giving him a guide in the right direction. He obviously values our opinions and being mean to him isnt going to keep him doing it. In a few years he’ll probably be just as good as any of us but not if we tell him that what he’s doing is a waste of time.

Oh yeah I changed the homepage because I was experamenting with haveing a flash desktop. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok here is a new one I did not put in as much as a weeks worth but a days worth if not more, its no where near done tho so keep that in mind.

that’s what i’m talking about home slice…improvement. Everything should be bigger. What screen resolution are you working with?

This is what it looks like on my screen:

Im working with 1024 x 768 but I did it all in flash so that could be the reason.

soo… what do you do and what do you click on?

What do you mean by that?
And here is a wider version of it.

@Chris: It’s just a screenshot of his design…

@Mike: That’s another step foreward, but everything still needs to be BIGGER. Text definately needs to be bigger(try 11pt arial, tahoma, hevetica or verdana), header could use a bit of breathing room. That logo of yours, did you make it? what does it have to do with you specifically?

Also, have you considered making a blog instead of just some random text?

The site could still use some work, so just keep it goin’…doing great though :slight_smile:

[quote=SlicDiggy;1984541]@Chris: It’s just a screenshot of his design…

@Mike: That’s another step foreward, but everything still needs to be BIGGER. Text definately needs to be bigger(try 11pt arial, tahoma, hevetica or verdana), header could use a bit of breathing room. That logo of yours, did you make it? what does it have to do with you specifically?

Also, have you considered making a blog instead of just some random text?

The site could still use some work, so just keep it goin’…doing great though :)[/quote]
The logo is just a example and yes I made it, I do have a blog and I would love to have one setup on my website but I don’t know how. Thanks for the advice.