Transparent Flash over HTML page

I read about making flash movies transparent over html backgrounds, and I understand that just fine…but–I’m having some trouble getting the “Ad-like” effect where a movie can fly across an HTML page with images, text, links, etc.

I think I did this a few months ago, but I’ve forgotten since then… memory, it’s a fleeting gift.

Can anyone help? Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Beuler?

THANKS!

Put your movie on a new Layer in HTML.

Be aware though, transparent flash does not work in Netscape… the viewer will get a big white background.

This should show you how to do it…

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash5/dhtmlflash.asp

I think I need to re-write that tutorial and make it more suited to the ad-like animations one sees on yahoo or slate. They are really annoying but a great use of flash!

Cheers!
Kirupa :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, but do you know the Javascript code to detect browser and disable the movie for Netscape and any other browser that doesn’t support transparent flash?

I would offer to write it, but I really don’t know where to start on how to disable flash movies.

Perhaps…

if - netscape - layer.visible = false

if - ie - layer.visible = true

???

Ok, that is very crude code, but I used it to demostrate a point.

Not sure if I can write it, but I can sure as heck try if you want:)

Thanks for your replies…
LostinBeta: I’m aware of the Netscape problem, and I’m just going to redirect to a mirror page without the flash. I tried putting it on another layer, but if I put the flash on top of the HTML, the HTML links and buttons don’t work. If I put it on a layer below the HTML, the Flash doesn’t respond to the mouse events.

Kirupa: That’s exactly what I need, if you could send me an example file, I can figure it out from there. Or I guess I could wait for a new tutorial, but I don’t want you going to all that trouble just for me! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Steve