What's been keeping me busy!

Hi everybody - just wanted to provide a quick update on why I have been a bit quiet on the site front :slight_smile:

Besides the usual Christmas/New Year holiday shenanigans, my newest book on Algorithms has come out! I am furiously recording new videos for each chapter. I have also started posting some videos on Tiktok: TikTok - Make Your Day

Lastly, I am working with Pasquale D’Silva (aka darkmotion) for broad visual refresh of the site. This is something I’m most excited about, for I spent the past few months cleaning up the CSS and the site’s layout to allow for more visual flair. There is nobody better than Pasquale at being able to do this!

What have you all been up to?

Cheers,
Kirupa :octopus:

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the new design!

1 Like

Hey mate, it’s good to hear you’re doing well :slightly_smiling_face:

Beside the usual (Chrissy, NY’s, kids) I’ve been having a bit of a play with htmx.
It kind of reminds me of 1995 html before CSS…

I cant wait to see the new design :sparkler:

I haven’t been keeping up with htmx a whole lot! The number of memes I’ve seen about it has been really high, so there must be something to it! :slight_smile:

HTMX is good and bad…
the good:

• you can look at an element in the html and tell what it is doing
  • pre packaged events and effects without writing the JS
  • pre packaged animations
  • SSR would be easy
  • backward compatible with IE

the bad:

• HTML only fetching
  • pain in the rear with shadowDOM/ Custom Elements
  • overkill on the attributes instead of using a shorthand attr

IDK… it kind of slightly feels like the wrong abstraction…

HTML3.2 had <CENTER> and had all the styling in HTML as attributes such as align width height nowrap colspan border bgcolor ect. (kind of like tailwind :grinning:)

Obviously CSS was a big step forward being able to style all elements of a given tag rather then putting attributes in every element (25 years now :grinning:)…

It feels like HTMX is trying to take us back to 97…

I do like just extending HTML instead of writing JS but I honestly think the component level rather than element is the right abstraction for both event delegation and component level styles.

Obviously if you have a simple site then you wont have many components and should just inline a <style> and use global eventListeners :slightly_smiling_face:

HTMX isn’t built for simple sites, you have web sockets and SSE’s inbuilt…

I think I would rather have something like HTMX for Web Components TBH…

Matthew Phillips (Astro) came up with a HTML declared WC a while ago, I’ve been playing with a similar inline style component to get around <link> in shadowRoot

e.g.

<style-sheet id = "sheet1" style = "display: none:" > some-WC {background-color : red; } </style-list>

declared like:

class styleSheet extends HTMLElement{
     connectedCallback(){
          let observer = new MutationObserver(() => {
                        let last = this.lastChild;
                        if(last) {
                           this.sheet = new CSSStyleSheet();
                           sheet.replaceSync(this.innerHTML);
                          observer.disconnect()

}
                    });
                    observer.observe(this, { childList: true , subtree: true});
        }
}
customElements.define("style-sheet", styleSheet)

referenced like:

this.shadowRoot.adoptedStyleSheets.push(sheet1.sheet)
1 Like